IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queens in Savannah, GA

NCFM

@NC_Palm_Enthusiast Nice, and from one of my favorite places to visit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

4 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Really? Ok I'll retract

1983-2012 (old) data is 8b/9a (20f avg minimum). 1991-2020 is 9a (22f avg minimum). 

Edited by Teegurr
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Teegurr said:

1983-2012 (old) data is 8b/9a (20f avg minimum). 1991-2020 is 9a (22f avg minimum). 

Not saying I don’t believe you, but do you have a link for that info? 

1 hour ago, Jcalvin said:

Not saying I don’t believe you, but do you have a link for that info? 

Start by using this link: https://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=chs

Then, select "Savannah area" for your location, select monthly summarized data for your product, select your choice of years (1991-2020 is available), and select "min temp" for your variable.

Go to the bottom of the table that appears and in the lower right you will see the mean avg minimum for 1991-2020, which will be 22.

Edited by Teegurr
  • Upvote 2

The problem with an area like Savannah (or any of the Georgia Coast) is that the minimum winter temp can vary pretty significantly over a small distance.  The Savannah Airport is inland and cooler.  The area around the Ogeechee River near the Coastal Gardens and Bamboo Farm is probably the chilliest spot in the area.  Out on the islands east of Savannah, there are large orange, grapefruit and Meyer lemons as well as many palms that would seem to be growing out of zone.  

I'm in Augusta, GA at 414', but literally on the edge of the Fall Line.  The elevation drops 250' right down the street.  Official temperatures for Augusta are taken from the Bush Field airport which is 5 miles away at 135' and on the Savannah River.  On a still night, the minimum temperature can vary from 5 - 20F degrees from my place because of cold-air drainage.  Add in urban heat and my zone is usually 8b, even though it can get colder.  I rarely go below 20F, for instance.  The city of Savannah has a similar situation without the elevation change:  significant temperature differences over small distances.

Er50uGXtQfOXDjCh0oob7A.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

Just now, JLeVert said:

The problem with an area like Savannah (or any of the Georgia Coast) is that the minimum winter temp can vary pretty significantly over a small distance.  The Savannah Airport is inland and cooler.  The area around the Ogeechee River near the Coastal Gardens and Bamboo Farm is probably the chilliest spot in the area.  Out on the islands east of Savannah, there are large orange, grapefruit and Meyer lemons as well as many palms that would seem to be growing out of zone.  

I'm in Augusta, GA at 414', but literally on the edge of the Fall Line.  The elevation drops 250' right down the street.  Official temperatures for Augusta are taken from the Bush Field airport which is 5 miles away at 135' and on the Savannah River.  On a still night, the minimum temperature can vary from 5 - 20F degrees from my place because of cold-air drainage.  Add in urban heat and my zone is usually 8b, even though it can get colder.  I rarely go below 20F, for instance.  The city of Savannah has a similar situation without the elevation change:  significant temperature differences over small distances.

Er50uGXtQfOXDjCh0oob7A.jpg

Exactly, even the airport is 9a, so these queens are probably in a warm 9a. I can't speculate too much, though.

1 hour ago, Teegurr said:

Exactly, even the airport is 9a, so these queens are probably in a warm 9a. I can't speculate too much, though.

I would say that, for anything above Harris Neck and Blackbeard Creek, minimum temperature varies rather significantly. However, it’s a pretty solid 9A for anything lower than than Harris Neck and up to about 20-25 miles inland along the coast. The vast, tidal rivers and creeks that wind inland keep these areas a little warmer and gradually, as they taper, turn the area into 8b. 

Edit: I meant to reply to JLeVert. 

Edited by Jcalvin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Very nice queen palms in Savannah, in Augusta some I've seen some(posted some pics), there's one growing on the side of a salon that looks quite good although it has a little fond burn.

I don't know how long it will last, maybe it being on the side of the house offers it some winter protection.

Some other ones I've seen don't look so hot though, there's four of them in someone's yard and they are heavily browned, even now in June.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Joe LeVert is correct. When folks say Savannah, are they @the Bamboo Farm, downtown, or out at Tybee? Big difference.

Houston, TX the same. NW to SE sees a change in altitude and proximity to the water.

On 6/19/2021 at 7:40 PM, NC_Palm_Enthusiast said:

D8289A74-FCF8-4B6B-B1D4-9811EA0DE0CC.thumb.jpeg.2bed8cb1221ea776b165bb496a41c3e4.jpeg

Sorry for the low picture quality

There are quite a number of mature Queens in Savannah. Some of them didn’t make it through 2012 and 2018. But, there’s still a significant population of them. I actually wish there were more in the downtown area; or even better, some Mules would be awesome. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 years later...