Rhub

Archonotopheonix alexandrae seedlings advice needed

Rhub

Hey all,

I ordered a bunch of archo alex seedlings in the mail and potted them all. They are all under artificial light.  Half seem to be doing well and the other half are browning and leaves are getting "crispy" . They are all watered at least once a week. The lights don't heat up and the room is on avg 78 degrees Not sure why half are having issues. Any advice or tips? salvageable or too late? I may need to start over and i want to make sure I get it right if i do. 

PXL_20210619_181003836.MP.jpg

Fusca
1 hour ago, Rhub said:

Hey all,

I ordered a bunch of archo alex seedlings in the mail and potted them all. They are all under artificial light.  Half seem to be doing well and the other half are browning and leaves are getting "crispy" . They are all watered at least once a week. The lights don't heat up and the room is on avg 78 degrees Not sure why half are having issues. Any advice or tips? salvageable or too late? I may need to start over and i want to make sure I get it right if i do. 

PXL_20210619_181003836.MP.jpg

If your soil is well draining you should be watering more often.  If the soil stays damp with watering only once per week you should change to a better draining mix.  Archontophoenix love water but roots can rot in poor draining mucky soil.

PalmatierMeg

Just saw your photo. I agree with Jon that your mix might be mucky. I'm thinking the seedlings have root rot/damping off. How deep are those pots? Palm seedlings like deeper pots, i.e., 5-6" maybe more depending on species. If you keep them indoors make sure they have high humidity. Also, 78F may seem warm to you but your seedlings like more swelter. Do you crank the a/c up at night? If so, high temps during the day are even more important after a cool night. What makes people comfortable vs the wants of tropical palms can be diametrically opposed.

Rhub

Thanks for the responses. The current pots are 3 inches deep. The mix is roughly a 3-3-1 of coco coir, perlite, and potting soil respectively. The water does flow right through.  Hard to believe it would still get root rot. I'll be moving them under a large tree that provides plenty of shade but some sun can still penetrate through and with full sun for part of the day. Im in orlando so humidity will increase significantly for them outside. What are the chances of these making a comeback? Or are they too far gone?

PXL_20210619_202434167.MP.jpg

Note: The idea was to let them establish indoors under lights before moving them outside considering they were stressed by being uprooted and shipped in the mail. I had a similar issue with other seedlings outside but those were in full direct sun as soon as they were potted after receiving by mail and the potting mix wasn't as well draining as it is currently. So much trial and error and disappointing when you lose these little guys.

Edited by Rhub

PalmatierMeg

Based on your soil mix I revise my diagnosis: they are withering away from lack of water. Archos are water lovers and have no drought tolerance esp. in 3" deep pots watered 1-2x a week. I've found that pots with a lot of coco coir dry out faster and you must monitor them for dryness. If you try again use deeper pots - 5-6" deep - give the seedlings a good soaking and don't let them completely dry out.

• Upvote 1

Frond-friend42

I have raised some of these and these look like they will not make it. They are very sun intolerant at this stage and take many years to be able to handle sun. Not sure if artificial light could damage them as well. They need very little to no light at that stage.

My prediction is the majority will die and if any make it they will take a long time to reestablish.  Sorry for your loss. 

Ben

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• CoconutGambler352
      By CoconutGambler352
      Howdy everyone. ( I absolutely love this forum and The people that come with it ) 
      Anyways, I was out and about today with my neighbor. While out riding around, we had went to a part of the county where Sabal Minors are everywhere but anywhere else in the county are few and far . Well I literally can spot out Sabal Minors in the woods, As we're driving by . 
      Long story short, I got myself one that I personally dug out. For as long as I can remember, Sabal Minor has been on the top of my Must Have Palm Tree lists.
      So, here I am, Asking for Advice/Help with the best proper transplanting for said Palm. Basically I do not want this to die. 
      Removing the fronds, would be a good idea? Let the water trickle on it every night until dawn, for how many weeks? 
      Here's the Sabal Minor that I have dug out. Like to get y'all's opinion. 
      Thank you!! Oh and Yes It's currently in my Pond for the protection of the roots,  So that the roots will not dry out/up resulting in a confirmation for dying. 

• CoconutGambler352
      By CoconutGambler352
      Here are a few Sabals
      In person, The Sabal Palm in the first photo furthest to the right, was actually a VERY tinted Blue color, while the two Sabal closest to me, were the usual colors. 
      Photo 2 is the VERY Tinted Blue Sabal I mentioned. 
      Photo 3 is photo of a Original Sabal (Right side) and on the left hand Side is a Sabal (Causiarum?) Or maybe just a Hybrid? 
      Photos 4&5 are of the Sabal "Hybrid" Look at how HUGE the frond is, to my hand, and the Palm is ONLY about 3.5ft Total Trunk height. Pretty interesting and impressive to me! 

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      My Archonotophoenix myolensis has produced its first crop of seeds and I have them fresh off the palm, fruit intact for now. Read about this rare, endangered Australian palm below:
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Archontophoenix_myolensis
      See breakdown below:
      Archonotophoenix myolensis fresh seeds: 50 @ $10.00 for the Lot
                                                                             100 @ $15.00 for the Lot
      Shipping = $6.00 in padded envelope       I cannot ship seeds outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal. No personal checks
      PM me if you are interested
      Photos
      Fruit and cleaned seeds

Mother Palm

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      First time event in my back yard jungle! My only Archonotophoenix myolensis has the brightest red seeds I have seen in a long time. This native of the Atherton Tableland in Queensland, Australia, may be the rarest species in the genus, according to Palmpedia, and it is endangered. I don't know how many exist in the US.
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Archontophoenix_myolensis
      It is by far the smallest and most petite of my Archos and I am excited to have seeds to pass on. See photos below:
      Uncleaned and cleaned seeds

Infructescense on palm

Photos of Mother Palm

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I got Archonotophoenix maxima seeds by the 1,000s that need a new home. This afternoon I was picking ripe seeds off the ground for a buyer when my husband, against my wishes and at great risk to life and limb, climbed a ladder way up to the monstrous infructescenses loaded with ripe seeds and started cutting them down. Down they came while seeds flew all over the ground and seawall and rained into the canal. The ground turned blood red. Sprinklers go off tonight so we grabbed a crate and spent the next hour picking up all the seeds we could find. Now our gain can be your gain.
      Archo max may be the rarest of the king palms in the US. That's unfortunate because it is reputedly the cold hardiest of the king palms, according to Palmpedia, surviving mid-20s with 60% leaf burn. It is also the largest king palm and boasts the largest inflorescenses - I vouch for that. It is also quite fast growing. Check out the link below:
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Archontophoenix_maxima
      If you have ever dreamed of filling your front yard with Archo maximas, this is your chance to do so in only a few years at minimal cost. Seeds are uncleaned because I haven't the time or energy to do so. But they are so ripe they practically clean themselves. Seeds are easy and fast to germinate given plenty of warmth.
      Archonotophoenix maxima fresh uncleaned seeds: First 50 @ $10.00    Additional quantities @ $5.00 per 50 seeds
      Shipping for up to 100 seeds = $5.00   Higher quantities by quote
      I cannot ship seeds outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me for a quote if you are interested
      Photos

Mother Palm