IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Encephalartos Patch

Fouquieria

Years ago (before I got sick) I planted a number of Encephalartos seedlings down on the hillside over on the undeveloped end of the lot.  Well, I tried to venture down there this Spring (I only have one leg now) and to my surprise, a number of them were doing fine.  Lots of weeds and Eucalyptus debris, but otherwise they looked pretty good.  I lost some, but most of them seem to be doing fine.

This little patch of three are E. ttrispinosus, E. arenarius, and E. longifolius.  Originally they were just tiny 2-3 stem seedlings.  Nearby is a E. cerinus which is  doing just as well.  Further over is a E. lehmannii which is doing well too.  An E. nubimontanus is struggling and hasn't done much and so too an E. dyerianus.  There were some others that I apparently lost because I couldn't seem to find them, but considering that they were completely neglected after the 2nd year is amazing.

Encephalartos patch2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan