IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dasylirion Dilemma

Fouquieria

I think I probably asked this question years ago on this forum.  The other night I was going through an old stash of photos on this laptop and I found these two old images.

I have an old Dasylirion guadrangulatum that I got from Grigsby's years ago.  Typical looking with the 3-4 foot leaves.  These photos are around 15 years old so the quadrangulatum is a little taller now.  Where the leaves attach to the stem are spoon shaped.

The other Dasylirion I bought as a small plant from the old Tropic World just after it was sold and the new buyers were literally giving away the exotic, personally collected inventory of the previous owner.  I forget what his name was but some of you old timers will remember

I don't know if this plant is still alive.  That spot has a huge, weedy vine that has taken over and the plant might be somewhere underneath it.  Anyway, it was sold as Dasylirion longissimum.  The leaves were seven to eight feet long....twice as long as the quadrangulatum and much taller than me (I'm six foot).  Where the leaves that attached to the base were splayed and not spoon-shaped.  It is a distinctly different plant

Everywhere I read...Bancrofft, Huntington, Kew, other sites make it sound like you can only tell the difference when they flower....and I guess they are male or female plants.  It comes across to me that these plants haven't been studied that much.  So what gives?  Also, although the longissimum hadn't trunked yet, I got the impression it was going to be a much thinner trunk.....half the diameter of the quadrangulatum.

Longissimum.jpg

Quadrangulatum.jpg

Edited by Fouquieria
Forgot to add images
  • Like 1

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

This citation: David J. Bogler: Three new species of Dasylirion (Nolinaceae) from Mexico and a clarification of the D. longissimum complex. In: Brittonia. Band 50, Nummer 1, 1998, S. 71–86 should help clarify the rampant confusion concerning these 2 species. Bogler has been the main authority on Dasylirion for years.

BTW, I think the owners name I recall meeting at Tropic World nursery was Paul Hutchinson. At one time he was quite an explorer of cacti and succulents (describing both) from Africa and South America.

Hi 113˚, Lo 81˚

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego