IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer weather in PNW talk

Paradise Found

11 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I think it's similar here too, at least in the older sections.  Coming from Toronto, Canada - Yes Canada - the idea of having a house without AC is absurd.  Mine will be turned on here before lunch and I think it won't be off for days.

Besides with all of our smoke from fires how do you survive in the heat with all the windows closed??  Every year we have a stretch of bad smoke where the house is shut down for days regardless of temps.

Yea same, I grew up just across the lake in Grimsby (Niagara). My high school didn't have A/C and May-June would always suck to be in class. 30C weather with overnight lows 20C+ are common in the summer... not the best for sleeping or being stuck in a classroom. Luckily every house I lived in had A/C. I've never even considered having A/C here in Nanoose... until now. 

13 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Major growth this year for sure if you can keep them hydrated.

My S. minor and S. palmetto are already working on their 2nd frond. B. odorata working on its 4th. The heat has just begun so I'm excited to see what they will look like by the end of summer!

• Like 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

51 minutes ago, ShadyDan said:

Yea same, I grew up just across the lake in Grimsby (Niagara). My high school didn't have A/C and May-June would always suck to be in class. 30C weather with overnight lows 20C+ are common in the summer... not the best for sleeping or being stuck in a classroom. Luckily every house I lived in had A/C. I've never even considered having A/C here in Nanoose... until now. 

I hear ya, same for me.  The first place I ever owned was a townhouse in St.Catharines on the canal in the North end.  All my windows faced East/West and I had no A/C, and the winds always flowed North/south it was awful in summer.  At that time I could barely afford the home never mind the cost of installing A/C.   Plus growing up my Dad was cheap, our 1960's era house never had AC to begin with so he never had it installed. 

Living without the humidity out here makes it generally pretty easy, although I think most of the palms would enjoy it.

If you haven't been to Grimsby in the last 5 years you wouldn't recognize it anymore.  All that strip along the QEW has been undergoing major development.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chester B said:

I hear ya, same for me.  The first place I ever owned was a townhouse in St.Catharines on the canal in the North end.  All my windows faced East/West and I had no A/C, and the winds always flowed North/south it was awful in summer.  At that time I could barely afford the home never mind the cost of installing A/C.   Plus growing up my Dad was cheap, our 1960's era house never had AC to begin with so he never had it installed. 

Living without the humidity out here makes it generally pretty easy, although I think most of the palms would enjoy it.

If you haven't been to Grimsby in the last 5 years you wouldn't recognize it anymore.  All that strip along the QEW has been undergoing major development.  

Agreed, Grimsby its nuts now. Its getting swallowed up by the big ever expanding Toronto blob. I was there 3 years ago, my folks still live there, and was sad to see all the peach orchards I used to play in as a kid ripped down for townhouse developments. Its some of the best farmland in the country there, I really hope the Greenbelt scheme holds on and keeps the remaining farmland and forests intact.

Currently sitting at 31.8C at home, not terrible yet. The worst looks to come Sunday/Monday for us. I've prepped my greenhouse by removing a bunch of windows and installing a snazzy shade blanket that Red Green would be proud of. Hopefully it will help keep things at least a little cooler / shaded in there. All my more heat sensitive palms and plants have been taken out and moved into more shaded areas outside. 

IMG_3345.jpg

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

7 hours ago, Chester B said:

I think it's similar here too, at least in the older sections.  Coming from Toronto, Canada - Yes Canada - the idea of having a house without AC is absurd.  Mine will be turned on here before lunch and I think it won't be off for days.

Besides with all of our smoke from fires how do you survive in the heat with all the windows closed??  Every year we have a stretch of bad smoke where the house is shut down for days regardless of temps.

Very wise.  I bet the stores will short on beer this weekend.

Major growth this year for sure if you can keep them hydrated.

Chester...its getting old rinse and repeat...the last couple of summers...Hot ...smoke....and more smoke...its really sad !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hutch said:

Chester...its getting old rinse and repeat...the last couple of summers...Hot ...smoke....and more smoke...its really sad !

I’m not going to lie I love the hot, but the smoke and fires - it’s awful. I was on evacuation alert last year. I was in the “get ready to go” but less than a mile away they were already gone. Very unsettling, I can’t say I’ve ever experienced something like that before, and so it’s weighing on my mind already. I just bought two more air purifiers, last year it was so bad even inside was Smokey and very irritating to breath after a few days. When I drive around I see the scars on the landscape and it is troubling. When I moved here I thought it was supposed to be wet and gloomy all the time. 

104F at my house according to my thermometer  and weather app. Portland officially at the airport hit 108F which broke the all time record. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

104F at my house according to my thermometer  and weather app. Portland officially at the airport hit 108F which broke the all time record. 

Petty crazy... Portland reached the same temp as both Downtown Phoenix at Sky Harbor, and here in the neighborhood in Chandler.  Saw it could reach between 111-113F in Portland tomorrow ..or Monday. Were supposed to reach 110-113F tomorrow, then 106-108 Monday, unless moisture moves in sooner and cuts back temps.

Saw some of the towns close to the Canadian border, north of Seattle, were in the 98-102F range this afternoon as well. Can't wrap my head around that at all. 

Hope everyone is staying as cool as possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

I hear "record" and I want to congratulate you. But then I remember what we're talking about. 

Last forecast for Boise I saw had 14 days above 100 in a row (but it changes frequently).  My weekend gig (passtime?) is working in greenhouses. I like the heat but its been balls hot in them.

Edited by ColdBonsai
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ColdBonsai said:

I hear "record" and I want to congratulate you. But then I remember what we're talking about. 

Last forecast for Boise I saw had 14 days above 100 in a row (but it changes frequently).  My weekend gig (pastime?) is working in greenhouses. I like the heat but its been balls hot in them.

:greenthumb::greenthumb: ^ Couldn't agree more.. Remember walking into one at a nursery i worked at a few years ago after the cooler broke down when it was 115F out.  Had to open the doors since it quickly got above 130F in there while me and a co worker tried to fix the cooler..  Absolutely brutal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

:greenthumb::greenthumb: ^ Couldn't agree more.. Remember walking into one at a nursery i worked at a few years ago after the cooler broke down when it was 115F out.  Had to open the doors since it quickly got above 130F in there while me and a co worker tried to fix the cooler..  Absolutely brutal.

Lol, I can't even imagine 130. Our hottest house has been getting up to 115, but fortunately I don't do much in there. And it pays to know which hoses are hooked up to ice cold well water for a quick head dunk. 

I really love it though despite the heat. Getting a couple days to do nothing but work with plants is good for my brain.

Edited by ColdBonsai
  • Like 1

I almost feel guilty for spending the day (yesterday) at the ocean cooling off, not, high at the beach 77f. :winkie: not sure how hot it was at home but 7pm was 100f  when I got home.

• Like 2

Yakima WA and the desert WA are already 90F-93F at 9am.  They will be in the teens this weekend but don't worry they will go back to their normal temps of 105F all next week. A lot of eastern WA heat goes to Portland, OR. 

Here 80F at 9am, 107F today and 111F tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Edited by Paradise Found

14 hours ago, Chester B said:

Just saw this post re tweeted from Daniel Swain.. If correct, that's as hot as we were around the 17th. 118F?  Yikes!:bemused:

• Like 1

They said on the news it was going to be very hot at the beaches from upper 90's to low 100's. 

Edited by Paradise Found

Portland now at 108F ..and 10F hotter than at the same time yesterday.. 

For reference:  108 at the local ( municipal Airport ) here in Chandler.. 110 in a couple miles up the road in Downtown ( Chandler ) . 116F according to the closest neighborhood station to the house.  111F at Sky Harbor.  Nuts.

• Like 1

As of 2 pm I was 106f with 20% humidity and hot dry winds. Hairdryer effect full on. It’s so hot I haven’t been able to stay outside for more than 20 minutes at a time. Tonight they’re showing a low of 84 or 85 which will be the hottest night on record by a mile. My AC is set to 76 and it can no longer keep up its gradually getting warmer in here. Tomorrow isn’t looking much better. I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m looking forward to something cooler - 80s would be wonderful at this point!

it’s made me appreciate how tough it must be to live in Arizona in the summer. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chester B said:

As of 2 pm I was 106f with 20% humidity and hot dry winds. Hairdryer effect full on. It’s so hot I haven’t been able to stay outside for more than 20 minutes at a time. Tonight they’re showing a low of 84 or 85 which will be the hottest night on record by a mile. My AC is set to 76 and it can no longer keep up its gradually getting warmer in here. Tomorrow isn’t looking much better. I can’t believe I’m saying this but I’m looking forward to something cooler - 80s would be wonderful at this point!

it’s made me appreciate how tough it must be to live in Arizona in the summer. 

Try to keep the AC around 74-76 thru the day here but when it is this hot, it doesn't keep up.. House can reach 82-83 on the weekends -when you don't have to shut it off between 3-6PM-( you'll pay $100's X's more monthly if you leave it running ).  During the week, when you have to shut it off? House can reach 86-88F during that 3 hour window the air is off.. Gets a bit stuffy quickly for sure.

Other day when it was only 89F out ..and really humid? house stayed around 72F.

Just saw downtown Portland is now at 110F ( at the Airport )  Oof!

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

2 more:

*** Just as i posted the # for Lytton, B.C. Temp went up another degree ( 46.1C / 115F ) ***

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 1

Absolutely crazy what's going on up there. 112F today in Portland. Humidity was 14% when that occurred but still.

Bound to be some adverse effects to the ecosystem.

The stat about Canada setting an all time high temperature- that's pretty wild.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sabal_Louisiana said:

Absolutely crazy what's going on up there. 112F today in Portland. Humidity was 14% when that occurred but still.

Bound to be some adverse effects to the ecosystem.

The stat about Canada setting an all time high temperature- that's pretty wild.

How about this perspective:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Wow just wow. I can’t believe Those temps in BC. 

So I guess we officially hit 112 today and tomorrow is looking hotter!  To blow your minds further they are expecting it to be 114 at 6 pm and then strong winds should push in from the ocean drop the temps to the 70s by 11 pm. 40 degree drop in a few hours - that sort of thing doesn’t really happen here. 

• Like 2

6:30 am already 77F normal would be around 60F.  112F today in Olympia, yesterday was a cool 104F seem down right chilly compared with other record breaking temps in the state.  Good news we will cool off tonight with a low around 60's.  We can get through this! 

3 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

6:30 am already 77F normal would be around 60F.  112F today in Olympia, yesterday was a cool 104F seem down right chilly compared with other record breaking temps in the state.  Good news we will cool off tonight with a low around 60's.  We can get through this! 

9:45 am already 90F at my place.  If it does get up to 112F I will be warmer than Austin TX and Houston TX for all time record heat.  Amazing! 

Edited by Paradise Found

This:

*** If  **** thie suggested high occurs up there this afternoon, that's only 2 deg cooler  than the all time high ....for Phoenix..  Even if the temp maxes out somewhere between 117-119F later, that's beyond incredible, Let alone seeing highs above 110F for 2 straight days!.

• Like 1

It's amazing what you guys are going through.  This weather that we are having is crazy.  You guys in the NW are getting triple digit temperatures and me here in Mercedes Texas have yet to see 1 100° day.  We are sitting right at 88°.

• Like 2

Some others:  Portland at 113F ( some sources saying 114F.. Needs to be confirmed ), Lytton, B.C. Currently hanging around 47C ( 116.6F )  and Salem, Ore, which had reported 117F that needs to be verified as there has been some conflicting info. Wx service there could not access the real time temp data apparently. They'd had the last reading pegged at 116F. 

Looks like the Marine influence is kicking in along parts of the coast, dramatically cooling temperatures there, and working it's way ( the cooler air ) inland atm. 

Some #'s starting to come in:

Lytton B.C.?  Last tweet i saw ( via Extreme Temps. Around the World ) was suggesting 118.2F   If verified,  ..That's as hot as we've been here so far this year! Is also hotter than the all time record in Las Vegas.

Day #2 of 80F, in Juneau, AK today also.

• Like 1

Portland new records

Saturday 108F

Sunday 112F

Monday 116F

According to NBC news - "Portland, Oregon, soared to a searing 116 degrees Monday, hotter than it has ever been in cities such as Dallas, Los Angeles and New Orleans. In fact, when it comes to major U.S. cities, only Phoenix and Las Vegas have been hotter."

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Portland new records

Saturday 108F

Sunday 112F

Monday 116F

According to NBC news - "Portland, Oregon, soared to a searing 116 degrees Monday, hotter than it has ever been in cities such as Dallas, Los Angeles and New Orleans. In fact, when it comes to major U.S. cities, only Phoenix and Las Vegas have been hotter."

The news up there got it pretty accurate.. Phoenix has definitely been hotter.. 122F is the all time record here ( at Sky Harbor ).  Vegas is 117F ..or more accurately 116.9 / 47.2C.  Will have to see how close Portland came to eclipsing Las Vegas.  Un- thinkable, until this week at least, regardless.

Even crazier?  Coastal Ore. / Washington should catch a break, but what might occur up in Lytton - again - today.. is nuts.  For reference: 850mb equates to between 3,800- 5,200ft in altitude ( 5K average ). 33C / roughly 91.4F is hot for 5K ft.

On a side note,  just saw this posted.. Long, but good read on the effects of heat stress on plants. Published in March of this year.
https://nph.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/nph.17348

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 1

Boom!  
Lytton B.C.< that's British Columbia, CANADA > ..HOTTER than PHOENIX. ...And only 2deg off our all time record, w/ an hour or two to add a degree or two to go!  Wow!!

• Like 2

Aside from Death Valley has anywhere been hotter on the continent???

21 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Aside from Death Valley has anywhere been hotter on the continent???

Besides the official reading at Death Valley? not sure..  Palm Springs recently hit 123F though.

On the other hand,  " un-official ", neighborhood stations here / other areas in this part of the country have exceeded 120-123F a few times.

Fyi: Lytton exceeded the temp reported earlier.  Oof!  The add on Tweet from Brian kind of lays out other areas that have reached/ exceeded 120-121F

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Besides the official reading at Death Valley? not sure..  Palm Springs recently hit 123F though.

On the other hand,  " un-official ", neighborhood stations here / other areas in this part of the country have exceeded 120-123F a few times.

Fyi: Lytton exceeded the temp reported earlier.  Oof!  The add on Tweet from Brian kind of lays out other areas that have reached/ exceeded 120-121F

A bit of Aussie perspective on this incredible PNW heatwave....here is our top 10 recordings and also heat and cold records by State and Territory.
1142015460_Capture.JPGtempextremesAustralia.JPG.66dd9c41bcb77a26bbf6f6c8fb25ce8e.JPG

774479843_Capture.JPGAustTemprecords.JPG.22628f07541735ec2cc4b59c7b88b542.JPG

• Like 1

Contrary to what I would’ve thought. I expected the all time highs to be in the Northern Territory or Queensland but I guess when you get way up north it’s more green which helps moderate the temps. 

Wow I have never seen anything like this.  Temperatures over 100F were a regular occurrence when I lived in the Rogue Valley in the 2000s, but the hottest I saw was in the 110ish region- and it's generally been assumed that on the hot days the Rogue Valley is always hotter than the Willamette.  Now Medford "only" got to 114 yesterday (1 degree short of its record), so it should officially have a lower record now than many cities further north.

• Like 2

Manchester, Lancashire, England

53.4ºN, 2.2ºW, 65m AMSL

Köppen climate Cfb | USDA hardiness zone 9a

Holy cow....i have been out of Oregon for the past week...missing all of it...but my father said or property hit 111....these temps in BC are just incredible!!!...Portland looked just insane during the peak.... im just awe and shock over this heatwave....

1 hour ago, Hutch said:

Holy cow....i have been out of Oregon for the past week...missing all of it...but my father said or property hit 111....these temps in BC are just incredible!!!...Portland looked just insane during the peak.... im just awe and shock over this heatwave....

I hope your plants are ok.  Banana have damage here and that's about it, but I only got up to 102F. Airport was 109F

But the heat is still on in Eastern WA,  Today Tri Cities WA right now is  118F and will probably go up a few more degrees. It's WA desert so they are kinda uses to these temps once in a while.  Annual rainfall there is 6" a year. 

Edited by Paradise Found

I’m seeing more and more damage each day.  Things were looking pretty good before this. 

• Like 2

Another astounding record today:

As if the heat wasn't bad enough, now this:

Lytton itself is under evacuation.

• Like 1