IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer weather in PNW talk

Paradise Found

They mention on the news at noon that they except the weather to continue to be more hot and dry all the way to October.  Seem every years we have always been hot and dry, thats what are summers are like.  So glad we got all that rain last week when we did. 

Edited by Paradise Found

Nice 91F today on the first day of summer.  A nice cool down the next two day with marine air coming in.... But by this Saturday will be 98F, not bad for the end of June.  If this is the trend for the rest of the summer I'll take it! 

• Like 1

91 here too....looks like the bakery is open for business...lookin pretty toasty moving forward..!

• Like 2

94F Yesterday and 96F today.  Going forward not much relief!  How's that for a Mediterranean climate.

image.png.c72b9a2dbc8254e67897fb66fc2c11f0.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chester B said:

94F Yesterday and 96F today.  Going forward not much relief!  How's that for a Mediterranean climate.

image.png.c72b9a2dbc8254e67897fb66fc2c11f0.png

I've been telling people for a month up here that it is going to be a toasty summer!  

I felt it was going to be a hot one too. At this point I don’t see us getting much cool weather or precipitation until the latter half of September. But you never know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

I felt it was going to be a hot one too. At this point I don’t see us getting much cool weather or precipitation until the latter half of September. But you never know. 

Thats what I think too one or two days of rain sometime last two weeks of September. 

Looks like some action is starting over the central oregon mts..i hope this is not some dry lightning event...gall....lee...Oregon....!

16243338993784628455283849004869.jpg

0621212049.jpg

• Like 2

Models show hotter each day for me.  I'm pretty skeptical that we would be seeing temps like this.  Portland has topped out at 107 degrees three times. The first time was on July 30, 1965. It happened twice again in 1981, on August 8 and 10.

image.png.694cdd1ffa062ce6ebfbb4ddb5e5d075.png

Edited by Chester B

Monday the Airport set a new record high of 93F I tied the old record at 91F.

This weekend looks like low 100's for a lot of us. 

22 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Monday the Airport set a new record high of 93F I tied the old record at 91F.

This weekend looks like low 100's for a lot of us. 

Should get that mule palm pumping out the growth.  At least you have some shade, I have very little now with the loss of my mature trees.  I know a lot of the older homes around here don't have AC,  does your older home have it?

20 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Should get that mule palm pumping out the growth.  At least you have some shade, I have very little now with the loss of my mature trees.  I know a lot of the older homes around here don't have AC,  does your older home have it?

Yeah alway cooler in the back yard but its still hot out.  AC in bedroom and living room by the computer. lol Both are window AC.

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

Yeah alway cooler in the back yard but its still hot out.  AC in bedroom and living room by the computer. lol Both are window AC.

Unreal Chester....my mule palm is on its 3 leaf soo far.....this might be a epic grow season ...16244081206758384569998310832770.thumb.jpg.64be88ede0caa502ef690d2b8288ef6c.jpg

16244080761293217854959690555384.jpg

• Like 2

That palm is epic.

Pic of my biggest mule palm. I have another one a little smaller that’s in the ground. Second pic with mule in front of my biggest Butia which is also on its 3rd frond. 

2354C347-D567-4051-9C55-B65A4B0747A6.jpeg

E84648ED-D9C2-4352-945D-AE90C8BD96D4.jpeg

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

That's a nice Butia....wow..looks like it's lovin...its home ....i think as u get theses palms to maturity ...they exhibit...a much more hardiness..and tolerence.for other eviro impacts!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chester B said:

That palm is epic.

Pic of my biggest mule palm. I have another one a little smaller that’s in the ground. Second pic with mule in front of my biggest Butia which is also on its 3rd frond. 

2354C347-D567-4051-9C55-B65A4B0747A6.jpeg

E84648ED-D9C2-4352-945D-AE90C8BD96D4.jpeg

I plan on fertilizing this evening with a fast and slow fertilizer for palms and exotic plants.  Yours palm is looking good.  Can't believe how fast that beast is growing since planting it.  :greenthumb:

• Like 1

Looking like 106F / 41C.  Old record is 104F wait and see on Sunday.  In south puget sound look at three days 100+. 

• Like 1

The palm is bigger than it looks.  It was taller but the ice storm weighed the fronds down so bad they never fully came back up.  I hope my eriospatha starts kicking it into high gear.  I can say Butias seem to grow quite well here in addition to the Trachys and Chamaerops.

Each day the models keep predicting hotter.  It looks like all the records in the PNW may be smashed.  76F overnight may be the hottest night on record here too.

To top it off I got an email from the water company asking everyone to cut outdoor watering by 50% due to a chlorine shortage.  Are you kidding me, I need it to keep some of these plants hydrated or they're not going to be around.  Fatsias have already started burning.

Look at this- how is this even possible??

image.png.d840cb0e29236ad539c1b84e9ebe89e2.png

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

If i remember right the last time we got over 100F the temps didn't go below 80F till after midnight.  I am wondering how hot it will be in Eastern WA, the record is 118F.

I had a flat cycad after the snow event here I had to cut them off just to walk around it.  Now it is flushing. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

This heat wave is just looking insane....im nervous on plants getting burnt....Portland forecast looks more like Las Vegas..!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paradise Found said:

If i remember right the last time we got over 100F the temps didn't go below 80F till after midnight.  I am wondering how hot it will be in Eastern WA, the record is 118F.

I had a flat cycad after the snow event here I had to cut them off just to walk around it.  Now it is flushing. 

You're probably right.  Last weekend I know it was 80F at 11 pm here.  Whenever we get those really warm nights in the upper 60s or low 70s I see turbocharged growth on many of my plants, most noticeably with the bananas.

1 hour ago, Hutch said:

This heat wave is just looking insane....im nervous on plants getting burnt....Portland forecast looks more like Las Vegas..!

I don't understand how it seems to be slightly hotter in the northern part of the state?  I think if you make sure your plants are well hydrated in advance it should help, but it seems like you have a lot of heat lovers so it may be a good thing after all.

With all this heat and drought, I'm interested to see how many of the native conifers croak this year.  

18 hours ago, Chester B said:

Each day the models keep predicting hotter.  It looks like all the records in the PNW may be smashed.  76F overnight may be the hottest night on record here too.

To top it off I got an email from the water company asking everyone to cut outdoor watering by 50% due to a chlorine shortage.  Are you kidding me, I need it to keep some of these plants hydrated or they're not going to be around.  Fatsias have already started burning.

Look at this- how is this even possible??

image.png.d840cb0e29236ad539c1b84e9ebe89e2.png

Weird that your water company would ask people to cut back, due to not having enough Chlorine.. vs. overall drought.  That 107-112F?..  Just a taste of what May- mid/ late September is down here. Still nuts though. Same w/ some of the other #'s that continue to be suggested -farther north- and inland. Waiting to see if British Columbia shatters some seriously old records.

Agree w/ what you said, ..this kind of heat will likely damage any heat sensitive conifers/ other stuff, if not kill others already stressed.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Weird that your water company would ask people to cut back, due to not having enough Chlorine.. vs. overall drought.  That 107-112F?..  Just a taste of what May- mid/ late September is down here. Still nuts though. Same w/ some of the other #'s that continue to be suggested -farther north- and inland. Waiting to see if British Columbia shatters some seriously old records.

Agree w/ what you said, ..this kind of heat will likely damage any heat sensitive conifers/ other stuff, if not kill others already stressed.

My highest high will be 107F/ normal for me would be 75F, so over 30 degrees above normal. Thats what makes this so unusual for us. I hope my tree ferns don't croak.  On the plus size all my desert plants will be loving this long heat wave. 

Edited by Paradise Found

27 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

My highest high will be 107F/ normal for me would be 75F, so over 30 degrees above normal. Thats what makes this so unusual for us. I hope my tree ferns don't croak.  On the plus size all my desert plants will be loving this long heat wave. 

+ High anomalies are part of it, this is more significant.. Ferns / anything else delicate out in full sun will suffer some degree of burn/ damage,  esp. if the that level of heat continues for the duration of the week ahead.  No Bueno.

Pretty good chance ( though no guarantee ) 500mb heights briefly top 600dm at some point at maximum intensity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

That 107-112F?..  Just a taste of what May- mid/ late September is down here.

I know we're wimps right? 

8 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Ferns / anything else delicate out in full sun will suffer some degree of burn/ damage,  esp. if the that level of heat continues for the duration of the week ahead. 

This includes native Oregonians. :P

• Like 2

Some good advise for watering plants during a record breaking HeatWave. 

https://theconversation.com/the-best-time-to-water-your-plants-during-a-heatwave-99244

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I know we're wimps right? 

Even here where it's expected, most people try to hide during the day when it is at/over 110F ..let alone trying to hike somewhere:blink: Read over an article discussing how many here down play the effects of heat, let alone what to do about it.  90s aren't as bad, but..  not good when you aren't already used to extended periods of it.. Even when tolerable, you can still get into trouble.

Keep the plants, pets, and yourselves as cool as possible.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Keep the plants, pets, and yourselves as cool as possible.

Good advise for anyone going through a Heatwave. I've had heat sickness before and its no fun. 

AC will be on starting Saturday.  I'm still going to go outside in the shade on Sunday just to feel what 107F feel like, just for a little while like 5 minutes, lol. 

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Good advise for anyone going through a Heatwave. I've had heat sickness before and its no fun. 

AC will be on starting Saturday.  I'm still going to go outside in the shade on Sunday just to feel what 107F feel like, just for a little while like 5 minutes, lol. 

107F is hot for sure, but 78-80F ..80+ overnight, **if it stays that warm up there during this event**, that definitely will feel hot. 

• Like 1

When we had our heat wave last week we try & minimize going in & out alot. Keep all blinds closed, dark is your friend. It kept the house comfortable during the day. We were able to keep the a/c off into later in the evening. 

Use some dark sheets if you don't have blinds in some windows :greenthumb:

I love the heat. We were outside most of the day hanging out or in the pool. I would wet my dogs done every so often too. Stay safe PNWesterners  :greenthumb:

• Like 4

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

7 hours ago, James760 said:

When we had our heat wave last week we try & minimize going in & out alot. Keep all blinds closed, dark is your friend. It kept the house comfortable during the day. We were able to keep the a/c off into later in the evening. 

Use some dark sheets if you don't have blinds in some windows :greenthumb:

I love the heat. We were outside most of the day hanging out or in the pool. I would wet my dogs done every so often too. Stay safe PNWesterners  :greenthumb:

All good points I do the same.  As soon as the house hits 76 all the windows and blinds get closed and AC turned on at 76 with the furnace fan in manual ON. 

The dogs can hang out inside but I'll be out there soaking it all in.:shaka-2:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Chester B said:

The dogs can hang out inside but I'll be out there soaking it all in.:shaka-2:

I've been invited to go to the ocean this weekend to cool off, but Aberdeen 20 miles inland will be 105F and the beaches will be in the mid to slightly upper 80's.  I really don't want to go this weekend, LOL! I guess I could go one day or not!

44 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

I've been invited to go to the ocean this weekend to cool off, but Aberdeen 20 miles inland will be 105F and the beaches will be in the mid to slightly upper 80's.  I really don't want to go this weekend, LOL! I guess I could go one day or not!

It'll be too packed, I'd probably avoid driving out there personally.  I actually have been out that way to Ocean shores once.

Looks like I will go one day this weekend to the ocean to beat the heat. We are going to a national forest that you have to hike 1 1/2 miles to get to and that should keep most people away from us. We are also stopping at a nursery my friend wants to go.  If anything interesting happens or see something will take pics.  Going to eat at Ocean Shores is going to be a nightmare, lol. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a nice weekend. 

I heard on the news this morning Seattle has hit 100 only three times?  We get triple digits just about every year. 

Woke up this morning at 68f and lat night at 11 pm it was 77f and the real heat hasn’t even gotten here. They’re saying this weekend the majority of the overnights will be in the 80s. Wild stuff for sure. Has me wondering what the rest of the summer may be like. I’m sure not another even like this but after this passes we’re settling back down into the 90s. 

• Like 1

Bananas. I think I saw 113 forecasted for Portland on Tuesday? 

I have a bunch of family in the Tacoma area and I feel for their lack of air conditioning. Even the mountains aren't much relief with places like Cle Elum forecasted to hit 107. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ColdBonsai said:

Bananas. I think I saw 113 forecasted for Portland on Tuesday? 

I have a bunch of family in the Tacoma area and I feel for their lack of air conditioning. Even the mountains aren't much relief with places like Cle Elum forecasted to hit 107. 

ColdBonsai only 30% of people in western WA have Air conditioning, so cooling station and city water parks will be open.  But yeah we are set to break all time record highs.  

13 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

ColdBonsai only 30% of people in western WA have Air conditioning, so cooling station and city water parks will be open.  But yeah we are set to break all time record highs.  

Yea I definitely don't have AC... might be a rough few days for me especially trying to sleep. Luckily I am only a 5 minute walk from the ocean, so I think I will live there this weekend with a cooler of beer.

I have NEVER seen a 10 day forecast anywhere near this hot in my 9 years of living on Vancouver Island, especially for this duration. 37 is just plain unheard of in my neck of the woods. Inland Vancouver Island is set to hit 40C+. I'll be busy today moving some of my potted plants into the shade / taking glass panes off my greenhouse. Hurray! Otherwise, its great weather for most of my in-ground palms at least...

IMG_3341.PNG

• Like 4

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

43 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

I think it's similar here too, at least in the older sections.  Coming from Toronto, Canada - Yes Canada - the idea of having a house without AC is absurd.  Mine will be turned on here before lunch and I think it won't be off for days.

Besides with all of our smoke from fires how do you survive in the heat with all the windows closed??  Every year we have a stretch of bad smoke where the house is shut down for days regardless of temps.

27 minutes ago, ShadyDan said:

I think I will live there this weekend with a cooler of beer.

Very wise.  I bet the stores will short on beer this weekend.

28 minutes ago, ShadyDan said:

Otherwise, its great weather for most of my in-ground palms at least...

Major growth this year for sure if you can keep them hydrated.