IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis basilonga…Stunning

realarch

When I saw this, I thought I was going to need a pacemaker. In all my years looking at palm parts and pieces, I have never seen anything quite like it. John Hovancsek and I were going through the garden when I removed an old leaf sheath off this Dypsis basilonga only to reveal the first spathe since planting. In this case, a picture is worth much more than a thousand words. 

Tim

C1D26E3E-5978-45A9-821E-B52649DA29BA.jpeg

637A8441-3FAC-486D-A651-085F76B3BC95.jpeg

8BD10084-9CA9-41E3-A00D-11C2C4EDC665.jpeg

21E6DAA1-2998-4A9E-8FC1-E75DAD239385.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Upvote 7

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wow!

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

Woohoo! Nature is freaky! All those juicy colors. :bemused:

I'm surprised it didn't spring into action, the way it's coiled. Yikes! :o

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

thought there were no snakes in Hawai`i   LOL

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

It does looks serpent like, coiled, ready to strike. Over a 24 hour period it’s lost a bit of color, but still looks spectacular.

Greg, my Mauritia flexuosa is the real Audrey 2 in the garden. You almost get the feeling you can hear it growing and leaning your direction. 

Tim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I love this palm so much and am privileged to share this exciting palm moment with you

91D25921-527F-48C6-87CD-691FB75DC886.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

Looks like this crop of FB Dypsis basilonga seedlings is just reaching puberty.  It's been in the ground four years from a 1 gallon pot and is about 8-10 ft tall. Yesterday I was weedwhacking around it and didn't see anything unusual.  This morning I saw that an old frond had fallen off overnight.  As I grabbed it to head to the compost pile, I noticed its first attempt at blooming.  Not quite as red as Tim's, but still quite eye-catching.  So much to love about this species. Highly recommended if your climate allows. The black gunk at the top of each crownshaft is black gunk.  Doesn't seem to be causing any problem, so I leave it alone.

819543185_Dypsisbasilongasheath-1.thumb.jpeg.6474e7aa04daf92efafa2687d81bb84b.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Looking good Rick. Mine must have had a tight leaf sheath hence the zig zag look. I think your is supposed to look like, more like D. saintelucei .

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 3 weeks later...

So, this palm is putting out another spathe after the first one, which was beautifully deformed, just dried up. This is how it’s supposed to look.

Nice color.

Tim

E7B2BEE9-566A-44FE-A3F2-D5F3F219EA1F.jpeg

• Like 7

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I dunno, the first one was shockingly beautiful, this one is just ordinarily beautiful. ;)

• Like 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

22 hours ago, Billeb said:

I wanna plant one of these! 

Give it a try.  While I have a long way to go to achieve what Tim and others have done in Hawaii with this species, they can survive in California too.  Filtered sun tucked in with some other palms and some overhead protection from my neighbor's Howea f'ss on the other side of the fence. 

20210817-BH3I5193.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

Give it a try.  While I have a long way to go to achieve what Tim and others have done in Hawaii with this species, they can survive in California too.  Filtered sun tucked in with some other palms and some overhead protection from my neighbor's Howea f'ss on the other side of the fence. 

20210817-BH3I5193.jpg

Oooh…nice! I’m actually picking up a 3G tomorrow. Plan is to baby it until Spring and find somewhere to wedge it in the garden. Thanks. 

-dale

Tracy, that looks darn good! Promising future, hopefully it will be more widely grown in So. Cal.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I’m happy to join the “first spathe” club with one of my Dypsis Basilonga.  Just noticed this a couple days ago. 

9C43D983-ED57-4098-B6EF-3AAC9784C678.thumb.jpeg.8759752e394c2c6b5399c41348f0f22a.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update.  The spike lost the great red color after about a week. It keeps swelling but probably has a month or two before the inflorescence opens. Then many more months for the flowers to open and, hopefully, pollination & seeds to develop. I have tied it up with rope (far left) to keep it from flopping down and breaking off as has happened to several of my Dypsis saintelucei inflorescences. Check out the upper left corner.

843222694_Dypsisbasilonga0277.thumb.jpg.08efd7611a6a4f2f23d5136b76b411dc.jpg

The news today is that I noticed two more spikes emerging from under younger crownshafts.  It's nice to get more chances for seeds, but does this mean I'll miss out on the brilliant red new spike? If the fronds covering these new spikes fall off soon, they will probably break off the developing older inflorescence below.  How do they ever manage to make seeds in the wild with such poor engineering? Gotta love black gunk.

265856324_Dypsisbasilonga0276.thumb.jpg.aaeeb68dbf1f889bc493ff2824cf0f04.jpg

1157247187_Dypsisbasilonga0274.jpg.aa70cd94991ddc622387936f4463db9a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...