IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pindo survival in Dallas or Austin 2021 Freeze?

knikfar

Does anyone know if many pindo palms survived after the big freeze in Dallas or Austin? I'm in Raleigh and I planted one in my yard a few months ago. We don't typically get as cold as it got in both of those locations so my thought is that if pindos survived that, mine should do ok. And I do expect to have to protect it a few times a year. 

Pindos are not commonly planted, however, the ones I’ve seen in New Braunfels (between Austin and San Antonio) recovered. The low was around 9 degrees. 

• Like 1

I have a silver b. odorata that saw 2º in February. The fronds were completely torched as you'd expect. The spear stayed green for a month but eventually browned and collapsed.

I did the trunk cut surgery and it is alive, but growing very slowly. So far, it has pushed out about 6 inches of growth. Its recovery remains to be seen.

• Like 2

My experience from College Station (got down to around 4F) is that they take severe damage (all fronds gone, at best) but 60-70% appear to recover. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you all. This is really reassuring to hear. We've only had single digits once in the past 15 years so the odds should be on my side. 

• Like 2

Mine strived in Dallas, -2F. But I covered mine by 3 layers of frost cloth and Christmas lights although their effectiveness was minimized due to all the long power outages we had. 6-8 hours at a time including the coldest night. I have seen many large pindos not coming back. Although a in addition to mine that did. 

I think with proper wrapping it can take a lot!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Npeterh said:

Mine strived in Dallas, -2F. But I covered mine by 3 layers of frost cloth and Christmas lights although their effectiveness was minimized due to all the long power outages we had. 6-8 hours at a time including the coldest night. I have seen many large pindos not coming back. Although a in addition to mine that did. 

I think with proper wrapping it can take a lot!

That's very reassuring. And I'm under no illusion that I won't have to protect it at some point. We've had two very mild back to back winters with lows not dropping below 20. But at some point, that streak will end and we'll get into the low teens. 

1 hour ago, knikfar said:

That's very reassuring. And I'm under no illusion that I won't have to protect it at some point. We've had two very mild back to back winters with lows not dropping below 20. But at some point, that streak will end and we'll get into the low teens. 

They’re going to defoliate at some point at 10-15 degrees or below, but it should recover from 10 degrees fairly easily. I’ve seen quite a few recover from 10 and they did nothing to protect them. They just sat around in snow and ice for 4-5 days.