IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tropical looking vine id

Tracy

I received this cutting from a member of the Palm Society a few years back after a garden tour along with two other Araceae.  I never wrote down the identification and noticed it is popping out some sort of inflorescence or spadix.  I'm hoping that someone will recognize it and can advise what the genus and species is.

20210616-BH3I4359.jpg

20210616-BH3I4357.jpg

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I posted this once before and didn't think I had a match.  Nathan suggested: "Synogonium, maybe S. podophyllum ( Arrowhead Vine )  possibly?  Looks like the same type that grows like a weed in Florida."  When I look up the typical houseplant versions posted in photos, I don't see the same leaf formation of the leaf stem coming off the main branch with 5 leaflets coming off a "T" as above, the center at the base of the "T" and two lealets on either side of the top of the "T".  Am I missing something when looking at the online photos of Synogonium?  I'm also curious as it is a ground level, so tempting for my pup to nibble on, even though he hasn't yet.  Needless to say, my cycads are all armed and dangerous, so I've never had problems with dogs around them, but soft leafed unarmed plants could pose a larger threat to a teething 4 month old pup.  I see Synogonium contains insoluble calcium oxalates, which is the same thing present in Caryota genus palm's fruit as I recall.

The leaves don;t get to be like yours until the plant is more mature. If the cutting you received was from the top of an older plant, you get older already matured leaves. It does look like S. podophyllum in its mature form. And like most aroids, it is toxic to pets. Go to the aroid pictures site and look at Syngonium podophyllum.

• Like 2

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

8 minutes ago, metalfan said:

aroidpictures.fr

Yes, I looked at the site and my leaf matches identically with the mature Syngonium podophyllum leaves.  Thank you for the id

• 2 years later...

This apparently likes coastal California too.  Once again getting a flower on the Syngonium podophyllum.  I'm hoping some of it will start climbing up my Foxy Lady Palm, but for now it's just climbing up the Lepidiozamia peroffckyana caudex.

20230815-BH3I2294.jpg

20230815-BH3I2295.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Tracy don’t be fooled by that little vine you have it is a syngonium but grows into a triffid and will eat your garden alive 🤣

IMG_8505.jpeg

IMG_8506.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, happypalms said:

Hi Tracy don’t be fooled by that little vine you have it is a syngonium but grows into a triffid and will eat your garden alive 🤣

IMG_8505.jpeg

IMG_8506.jpeg

:greenthumb: Cheers to that!!  3rd evilest weed in FL ( Behind Air Potato, and  Kudzu < N. part of the state > )  Never understood any attraction to it either.

Often Find myself wanting to toss any i see in Nursery houseplant sections into the nearest trash can, 🤣😂

4 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

:greenthumb: Cheers to that!!  3rd evilest weed in FL ( Behind Air Potato, and  Kudzu < N. part of the state > )  Never understood any attraction to it either.

Often Find myself wanting to toss any i see in Nursery houseplant sections into the nearest trash can, 🤣😂

So true I can’t stand chain store gardens and they have put a lot of nurseries out of business that had unusual rare plants the best place to find good plants now is at local markets or the internet 🛜 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Fortunately they don't grow as fast to become a problem here.  Mine came as a cutting from one of the best private tropical gardens in California.   This was one of three cuttings Jeff was giving out after the Palm Society meeting at his house and garden in Vista.  I also have a nice Jose Buono growing due to his generosity.   As with so many plants, they can be a problem in one climate zone and a tame garden companion in a different climate zone.

I am certain that in Phoenix you would never have to throw this plant away because it wouldn't survive.  I pull up Washingtonia robusta seedlings as weeds here, yet in some climates people are thrilled a palm will survive.   It's all relative to context. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Tracy said:

Fortunately they don't grow as fast to become a problem here.  Mine came as a cutting from one of the best private tropical gardens in California.   This was one of three cuttings Jeff was giving out after the Palm Society meeting at his house and garden in Vista.  I also have a nice Jose Buono growing due to his generosity.   As with so many plants, they can be a problem in one climate zone and a tame garden companion in a different climate zone.

I am certain that in Phoenix you would never have to throw this plant away because it wouldn't survive.  I pull up Washingtonia robusta seedlings as weeds here, yet in some climates people are thrilled a palm will survive.   It's all relative to context. 

True my one is 20 years old but today I went around and pulled all the escapes out and left the big one all plants are weeds if there not in there natural habitat I only wish it was a anthurium waroqueanum out off control $$$$$$$

20230820_072457.thumb.jpg.8b11e71858d489c031799b19dd8f6dd8.jpg

The most common juvenile form found in commerce. This one showed up uninvited this summer in a small pot of rose cuttings that failed to root.  At first I thought it was a displaced caladium. I have no idea how it got here; it's unsettling to think it came from a fragment in the potting mix. I don’t think it poses much of a problem here in 8B, but because of its reputation, I'm keeping an eye on it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The cursed thing Syngonium is the worst garden weed in tropical AU... it and Devil's Ivy  ( Epipremnum aureum ) are absolute pest plants in the wet/dry tropics....
A substantial amount of my gardening time is taken up trying to control them in my jungle garden.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

The cursed thing Syngonium is the worst garden weed in tropical AU... it and Devil's Ivy  ( Epipremnum aureum ) are absolute pest plants in the wet/dry tropics....
A substantial amount of my gardening time is taken up trying to control them in my jungle garden.

Yep that cute little house plant turns into triffids almost something like the darleks in Dr who 👍🤪

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1