IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Exotic Tropical Tree Recommendation

chinandega81

@greysrigging I do wonder why they call breadfruit and jackfruit “dangerous fruit”. They mean they drop when ripe? I think breadfruit as well as jackfruit adds a lot of value to a tree, when you take care of it and also use the fruits. 

On 6/16/2021 at 10:11 AM, chinandega81 said:

Thanks for the great suggestions. Any reason why you recommend Ficus auriculata vs Ficus dammaropsis? Any experience with Tabernaemontana litorilis? This is a full sun location in my south facing front yard. Very typical poor, sandy South Forida alkaline soil. I like both of these two trees you suggested the most but have no experience with them and haven't seen them around South Florida. One search I did had people saying they died easily here for some unknown reason. I would love to hear your direct experience or opinions about these trees in Florida. Thanks.

Here's a picture of F. auriculata from Selby Botanical up in Sarasota.. Also like these a bit more than F. dammaropsis ( though i'll likely grow both ) ** Can see the Cecropia ( C. peltata, i think.. ) specimen in the background of both pictures**
DSCN0285.thumb.JPG.25a2cb7481d81bf71a5ec2cf6acbec1a.JPG

DSCN0375.JPG.8b21de79606cad026951d8acc065d968.JPG

16 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

I have never gotten Ficus dammaropsis to survive here, I have tried several. Not sure why though there are nice specimens at Fairchild and Montgomery.

Ficus auriculata is a great tree. Fast growing, big leaves that first emerge mahogany colored then fade to green. It is also cauliflorous , the figs are borne on short stalks along the lower trunk and branches. Most forms in FL bear inedible fruit but Fairchild has a form with edible figs. It only gets to about 20ft tall but spreads as wide and it isn't an aggressive banyan/strangler type.

Tabernaemontana litoralis (formerly Stemmadenia) is seen occasionally in SoFL.  Grows 10-15ft and bears lots of very fragrant white flowers. It grows well in SoFL.

Agree 100% w/ Eric.. There's a well known ( and well worth visiting ) Plumeria nursery near Homestead ( Silver Palm / Naranja < Spelling?>  area ) that has a big specimen ( did last time i visited ). Wish it would have had some seed pods on it ( Hoping someone in San Diego / S. Cal is growing it ..if i can't order a couple ).. Perfectly healthy and full of flowers each time i saw it. Another well known nursery ( among others i'm sure ) in Homestead sell it there.

• Like 2

There are a lot of nice trees mentioned by everyone above, but I will second the above recommendations, for somewhat unusual and very showy flowering trees, of Cassia x nealiae, Colvillea racemosa and especially Deplanchea tetraphylla. Consider your substrate and pH, as some flowering trees are not very happy in SoFla limestone (Lagerstroemia speciosa was a chlorotic mess for me in the Keys). The three I mention did very nicely for me in my garden in the Keys, were tolerant (especially Deplanchea) of growing in limestone, but the Cassia and Deplanchea were wiped out by Hurricane Irma's inundation; though a fairly young Colvillea held strong and the saltwater didn't kill it. Aside from the saltwater issue (and that may not be of concern to you), Deplanchea was a strong tree in my garden. Grows fairly fast, flowers at a young age, and it lends an unusual look and serves as a nice conversation-piece for your landscape. It is to my mind a magnificent tree, very unusual in its flowering appearance, with large, sturdy leaves that give a very exotic appearance; and it puzzles me that it hasn't had wider acceptance. Also it flowers in winter, when other things are not in bloom. Northern Territory folks on this forum can comment on its needs and qualities in much more detail. It can be found in South Florida...call Jessica at Freund Flowering Trees (SW Miami/Homestead) and she will either have it, or know a source. She is a very knowledgeable resource, a very nice person who will spend some time with you, highly involved with the Tropical Flowering Tree Society (TFTS), and has all sorts of fun and unusual things at the nursery, and can give you lots of other ideas that would suit your property. Another is Rob Bobson (Biospheric Engineering) who also has a large inventory of unusual flowering trees at his place in Homestead and is highly knowledgeable on the subject.

• Like 2

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

I second the recommendation of calling Jessica at Freund Flowering Trees.  She either has what you're looking for, or knows where to find it, and is extremely knowledgeable.  And also one of the nicest people in the South Florida plant world.

• Like 1

San Fernando Valley, California