IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca macrocalyx red

Bill Austin

So gorgeous!

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Bill, your good luck to have all red! Of my three, one is always green. Nice shot of beautiful palms.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

A stellar garden palm, not too big and not too small……..just right.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

This thread inspired me to finally order one.  I will treat it like Cyrtostachys renda, but less wet.

il_794xN.3143177320_ptdo.jpg

• Like 1

Just how cold sensitive are these?  About on par with Cyrtostachys renda?  Do they like wet soil or just evenly moist soil?  Also, do they prefer part or mostly shade or can they handle full sun as small plants?  Thank you.

-Michael

Very cold sensitive, very cool sensitive. I wouldn't expose them to temps under 50F. I kept a 5g alive for 6-9 months before losing it. I tried twice more with smaller specimens that survived only a few months. They didn't live long enough to show a red cs. I would not expose them to full FL sun - I kept mine under shade cloth on the back lanai. If I had another one today I might stash it in the jungle all summer with the Howeas and the Cham tuercks because I wonder if FL's non-stop summer swelter might be too much for it. This is a prima donna palm of the first order.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

Meg, thank you for the tips.  That was kind of the impression I was under, but I didn't know the heat would bother it too.  Sounds like a special project of a palm for sure.  More sensitive than C. renda to cold and possibly can't take our summer heat.  Hmmmm...well worth a try for such a beautiful palm.

39 minutes ago, Kaname-kun said:

Mine do fine here in Fort Lauderdale.

IMG_4164.thumb.jpeg.4383db51235a32c58e3f321b66cba915.jpeg

Wow that looks great! Is that under a cypress tree?

• Upvote 1

Yes, a huge bald cypress. Maybe receives some residual warmth and protection from it? We have 4 giants in our back yard that create our canopy.

• Upvote 1

Jeffery, you have a nice one.

These are so variable color wise and intensity of the red hues. Those growing in shade are taller and thinner, those in sun are a bit more robust and shorter. Makes sense, of course. 

Tim

9FB3E05D-B52C-471B-8B39-3C6519CFE7F3.jpeg

187054DF-D03C-40B4-A91E-ABBF34B9DE0B.jpeg

6B1880A0-2DCF-4925-B2EE-197A05E931E1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

On 6/21/2021 at 5:05 PM, Kaname-kun said:

Mine do fine here in Fort Lauderdale.

IMG_4164.thumb.jpeg.4383db51235a32c58e3f321b66cba915.jpeg

That is a stunning palm. If only.......

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 4:13 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

Very cold sensitive, very cool sensitive. I wouldn't expose them to temps under 50F. I kept a 5g alive for 6-9 months before losing it. I tried twice more with smaller specimens that survived only a few months. They didn't live long enough to show a red cs. I would not expose them to full FL sun - I kept mine under shade cloth on the back lanai. If I had another one today I might stash it in the jungle all summer with the Howeas and the Cham tuercks because I wonder if FL's non-stop summer swelter might be too much for it. This is a prima donna palm of the first order.

I agree with this statement that they are very cold sensitive. I lost all mine with a cold spell that happened whrn I was out of town. They died at 40 degrees .

• Upvote 1

On 6/19/2021 at 5:33 PM, Brad52 said:

If I click my heels and try really hard I can see a hint of red on my wee one.

44DA1755-0B11-482D-B030-AB81F6FDA210.jpeg

8F3C6C4A-6816-49FB-9B0D-D243A37E0321.jpeg

I see it too, and hopefully the red will increase on it.  I have one that looked like yours a year ago and is slowly starting to show more red as it drops more old leaves.   I really need to add some more soil and mulch around the base of this one.  It's growing in mostly cinder since that is what was already in this planter and I never mulched it like the rest of my yard.  

IMG_4985.thumb.JPG.acae8870e87ef2341f9bcc25055dd28a.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I have a palm that is a cross of this guy with the dwarf form of A catechu, not sure what to expect.

Brad,I have one of those too, so far it’s looking pretty plain. No color at all.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

To my very untrained eye, the red seems to look like the catechu and seems to have short petioles so the cross seems like it will be a short palm?  Oops, sorry, I'm hijacking a post here so never mind!

Edited by Brad52

• 1 month later...

My Areca macrocalyx "red" is really taking off.  I wasn't sure about the substrate I planted it in but this moderately hot, humid, wet summer must be to its liking as it is already putting out its first pinnate frond.

IMG_20210830_130516897.jpg

• Like 1