IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Potentially record-breaking heat in store for San Diego

GottmitAlex

Going to be a hot one!  Stay safe out there @GottmitAlex!

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

First record to fall ..of potentially many this week:

Anaheim. 91F.  Old record: 90, in 2007

Overnight lows are worth watching as well this week, esp. up in the mountains..

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Yep. Hang on!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Yep. What we are going to experience is an iota compared to what you @Silas_Sancona are gonna experience east of us.  Brace yourselves. I'm watering every day.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

11 minutes ago, EJ;) said:

Its supposed to 109 degrees in northern CA!!! Hold on to your butts!

That's practically a walk in the park at noon here.. For the crazy folk. lol..

..And who was it who was casually contemplating moving out to Bullhead or Lake Havasu awhile back? lol ( Focus on Tweet #2 ):blink2:

"Yeah but it's a dry heat." - the swampy southeast

50 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

"Yeah but it's a dry heat." - the swampy southeast

Every time i hear this, my reply is simple "...Come on out and see what real heat does to ya.."  Lived in both, swampy is easy..

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Every time i hear this, my reply is simple "...Come on out and see what real heat does to ya.."  Lived in both, swampy is easy..

Do you get Swamp Ass in dry heat? :floor:

My first year in Texas, I worked at Bush airport. The temps on the tarmac were regularly 130+ in the summer from all the heat reflecting off the concrete, and the only breezes were jet exhaust. Miserable. I'm so glad I work inside now. 

Fwiw I'm not trying to start another "we have it worse" argument that always seems to pop up under the Weather forum. 

2 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Do you get Swamp Ass in dry heat? :floor:

If someone gets that, they need a bath ..or 7,  ..W/ some Bleach added. Dry heat? Will silently put you in the hospital. Guess how i know.:)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

If someone gets that, they need a bath ..or 7,  ..W/ some Bleach added. Dry heat? Will silently put you in the hospital. Guess how i know.:)

It's unfortunately a way of life down here. 

Some records from San D and L. A. area today:

See everyone out there is getting in from the smoke/ leftover moisture passing west from AZ and Nor. Mexico too.

• Like 1

I took this passing through stovepipe wells yesterday. It’s pretty hot out there. 

24932CBC-20DC-41ED-81A0-5BEF241A2724.thumb.jpeg.571bb5000216ab93f5b9c0e42a4419d3.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Adding to the heat, An early heads up for everyone in S. Cal. / the Central / Southern Sierra for later.   S.F. Bay Area / Central Coast ( North of Santa Barbara ) might also monitor closely as well:

• Like 1

Pretty sure this is the first time an Excessive Heat Warning has ever been issued in Nevada, i would have to go back and look.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

38 minutes ago, JLM said:

Pretty sure this is the first time an Excessive Heat Warning has ever been issued in Nevada, i would have to go back and look.

Maybe far extreme northern Nevada, but not the southern half.. Not by a long shot. 

Round # 2:

#'s from the Los Angeles NWS: ( More may come in later )

San Diego NWS area ( may be updated later as well )

As you can see, Palm Springs smashing their record ..with class. :mrlooney:
IdUgDO.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1