IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another myrtle cordyline

DAVEinMB

I'm starting to notice more this size randomly around town. Really nice to see healthy specimens like this, fingers crossed they keep on keeping on

20210613_171236.jpg

20210613_171241.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Thats pretty good for the S.E. do you ever see any colorful ones too?

My tallest one I grew from my mother plant and now that baby is 15' tall and blooming for the first time. When they get this tall the trunks are really fat. 

Edited by Paradise Found

28 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Thats pretty good for the S.E. do you ever see any colorful ones too?

My tallest one I grew from my mother plant and now that baby is 15' tall and blooming for the first time. When they get this tall the trunks are really fat. 

I've seen some of the red stars around, about the same size. Super cool plants. 

I tell ya, if I found a 15 footer here I'd prolly spend a bit of time with it lol

Nice! If you see a 'Torbay Dazzler'  grab one they are so beautiful. Plant close to house for protection.  

For two decades people though they could not grow them in the S.E.  but in some places they are doing great! 

Thanks for sharing! 

examples of T.D. 

cordy dazzler.jpg

branching-growth-of-the-variegated-cabbage-palm-cordyline-australis-FH5M8P.jpg

Edited by Paradise Found
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 2:55 PM, Paradise Found said:

Nice! If you see a 'Torbay Dazzler'  grab one they are so beautiful. Plant close to house for protection.  

For two decades people though they could not grow them in the S.E.  but in some places they are doing great! 

Thanks for sharing! 

examples of T.D. 

cordy dazzler.jpg

branching-growth-of-the-variegated-cabbage-palm-cordyline-australis-FH5M8P.jpg

Wow yea I've never seen any of those around but if I come across one it'll be coming home with me :D

Lowe's had a bunch of red star australis and what were listed as indivisa the other day when I was there so they've been added to the mix at my place. 

20210617_140144.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

Wow yea I've never seen any of those around but if I come across one it'll be coming home with me :D

Lowe's had a bunch of red star australis and what were listed as indivisa the other day when I was there so they've been added to the mix at my place. 

20210617_140144.jpg

Awesome! keep us updated on them. 

• Like 1

I had three double the size of the first photo, Jan 2018 killed all three... Indivisa? I'll call BS on that one. I've been searching for one for years.

2 hours ago, Laaz said:

I had three double the size of the first photo, Jan 2018 killed all three... Indivisa? I'll call BS on that one. I've been searching for one for years.

Safe to assume those were planted post 2018 winter then? And yea I wouldn't know how to tell if it's indivisa for sure, looks different from what was labeled as Australis so I figured what the hell let's give em a shot

14 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Here's some red stars from downtown north myrtle

20210620_154301.jpg

20210620_154348.jpg

20210620_154353.jpg

20210620_160748.jpg

20210620_160838.jpg

These red stars look awesome! can't believe you found some nices ones. Thanks for sharing Dave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

Safe to assume those were planted post 2018 winter then? And yea I wouldn't know how to tell if it's indivisa for sure, looks different from what was labeled as Australis so I figured what the hell let's give em a shot

If you see the real Indivisa you will know it. I've try growing them from seed but no germination yet. 

Here's what they look like as mature plant. 

Cordyline_indivisa_along_the_southern_approach_to_Mt._Ruapehu.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Laaz said:

You have to grow them from seeds to get them here in the USA.  NZseeds did have some a month ago.  $18 for 100 seeds. 

• Like 1

@Paradise Found @Laaz Here's what's being sold as indivisa at Lowe's. They're labeling them as dracaena indivisa - when I google that cordyline pops up. They had a whole rack of them on clearance for $1 each so I grabbed some more. Some are green, some are purple, some look like they may be variegated, it's a mixed bag. 

20210621_125217.jpg

20210621_125233.jpg

20210621_125247.jpg

20210621_125302.jpg

20210621_125316.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 1

dave, these new ones look like cordyline austrailis.  The pinkish strip at the base of the leaves is normal and should be stable even when they get big. Good Buy! 

• Like 2

Yep, for sure australis. The nursery trade, as you all probably know, sucks at labelling plants by their correct name. These plants sold as D. indivisa or C. indivisa, "spike dracaena", etc... are always just plain-old C. australis. C. indivisa are super finicky to grow and very rare to find. I doubt the would cope with the heat/humidity of the SE as they are from cool mountainous areas of New Zealand. I've never seen the real-deal indivisa for sale at any nursery, just for sale by collectors and fellow enthusiasts. I have 1 small C. indivisa in my backyard (for sure the real deal!) that I'm hoping to not kill... we are having 40C temps this weekend though and that won't make it too happy so fingers crossed...

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)

15 minutes ago, ShadyDan said:

Yep, for sure australis. The nursery trade, as you all probably know, sucks at labelling plants by their correct name. These plants sold as D. indivisa or C. indivisa, "spike dracaena", etc... are always just plain-old C. australis. C. indivisa are super finicky to grow and very rare to find. I doubt the would cope with the heat/humidity of the SE as they are from cool mountainous areas of New Zealand. I've never seen the real-deal indivisa for sale at any nursery, just for sale by collectors and fellow enthusiasts. I have 1 small C. indivisa in my backyard (for sure the real deal!) that I'm hoping to not kill... we are having 40C temps this weekend though and that won't make it too happy so fingers crossed...

Good luck with yours. I had a few once and one year they decided to die with no warning and it wasn't hot or anything.  Yeah no way anyone on the East coast could grow the real deal. But man they sure are a beautiful cordyline. 

13 minutes ago, Paradise Found said:

Good luck with yours. I had a few once and one year they decided to die with no warning and it wasn't hot or anything.  Yeah no way anyone on the East coast could grow the real deal. But man they sure are a beautiful cordyline. 

Thanks! I had 4 to start: one died from the pot overheating before I could plant it, and two got slugged to death after planting. I'm hoping this guys pulls through long term, because I agree they are beautiful from the pictures I've seen.

• Like 1

Zone 8b, Csb (Warm-summer Mediterranean climate). 1,940 annual sunshine hours 
Annual lows-> 19/20: -5.0C, 20/21: -5.5C, 21/22: -8.3C, 22/23: -9.4C, 23/24: 1.1C (so far!)