IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabals

GregVirginia7

I’ve done a lot of complaining about the slow growth rate of my McCurtain and Brazoria Sabals...Granted, they are slow growers anyway but I think I made them even slower by not watering them enough...unless there was a serious drought, I would let the rain do it for the most part. But this year, I’ve taken to watering them by hand 2-3 times a week, regardless of rain and Of course, they are growing at a much faster rate than before. Sounds really stupid, but I was going on the assumption that they take care of themselves. I won’t drown them or lead them into root rot, but a more proactive watering schedule is going to put my complaining in the rear view mirror...I can see the results already! And, I just laid down my first application of Palm Gain so I think, given how wet it’s been around here these days, I’m going to see real growth in all my palms, but the Sabals for sure.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, the nice thing about these Sabals is that they won't easily die during dry spells. I am mostly dependent on hand-watering so maintaining my garden can be quite strenuous at times (especially when its 100+f out + humid and you've been too greedy *again* with planting new trees and shrubs). And, heck, sometimes I don't feel like watering! Its good to know the sabals will do fine. And when I DO have some more time & energy, I can water them. They allow for flexibility! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

I’ve done a lot of complaining about the slow growth rate of my McCurtain and Brazoria Sabals...Granted, they are slow growers anyway but I think I made them even slower by not watering them enough...unless there was a serious drought, I would let the rain do it for the most part. But this year, I’ve taken to watering them by hand 2-3 times a week, regardless of rain and Of course, they are growing at a much faster rate than before. Sounds really stupid, but I was going on the assumption that they take care of themselves. I won’t drown them or lead them into root rot, but a more proactive watering schedule is going to put my complaining in the rear view mirror...I can see the results already! And, I just laid down my first application of Palm Gain so I think, given how wet it’s been around here these days, I’m going to see real growth in all my palms, but the Sabals for sure.

Deep mulch can help retain water between rain and watering, but for sure high 80’s-90’s and watering every other day has a huge impact. I did the same thing for a few years, just let them do their thing. I try to cut off any fertilizer by August at the latest and won’t water them after the beginning of  November. Can almost see growth daily under perfect conditions, even with minors

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swolte said:

Yeah, the nice thing about these Sabals is that they won't easily die during dry spells. I am mostly dependent on hand-watering so maintaining my garden can be quite strenuous at times (especially when its 100+f out + humid and you've been too greedy *again* with planting new trees and shrubs). And, heck, sometimes I don't feel like watering! Its good to know the sabals will do fine. And when I DO have some more time & energy, I can water them. They allow for flexibility! 

That’s right...we’re not here to be slaves to our palms...they’re here to please us...until I become a slave to them for protection this winter but I think I’m going to turn them loose this winter, unless a Texas Freeze rolls through...then all bets are off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teddytn said:

Deep mulch can help retain water between rain and watering, but for sure high 80’s-90’s and watering every other day has a huge impact. I did the same thing for a few years, just let them do their thing. I try to cut off any fertilizer by August at the latest and won’t water them after the beginning of  November. Can almost see growth daily under perfect conditions, even with minors

Same here...will stop the fertilizer around the same time and let them begin to harden off for winter. I’ve got a good layer of mulch for both but it’s amazing how fast things dry up when we have a couple weeks of hot weather and no rain...but lesson learned...water regularly when it warms up, feed them and see the difference...my Trachy’s, of course, skew everything...honestly, I can watch mine grow but still the same winter prep hardening off routine For them as well...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Same here...will stop the fertilizer around the same time and let them begin to harden off for winter. I’ve got a good layer of mulch for both but it’s amazing how fast things dry up when we have a couple weeks of hot weather and no rain...but lesson learned...water regularly when it warms up, feed them and see the difference...my Trachy’s, of course, skew everything...honestly, I can watch mine grow but still the same winter prep hardening off routine For them as well...

I’m giving trachycarpus a shot again, I lost a few maybe 5 years ago. How many fronds a year would you say your trachy’s put out?

9 hours ago, teddytn said:

I’m giving trachycarpus a shot again, I lost a few maybe 5 years ago. How many fronds a year would you say your trachy’s put out?

I would be guessing but maybe 8 so far this season? and at least 18” of height since last summer and I expect another 12” or so by the end of this growing season. I’m truly amazed. It started out a little bigger than this one when it went in the ground in 2014:

image.thumb.jpg.89dced3b4ed13378646730050fe40737.jpgand now it looks like this:
image.thumb.jpg.e54219f1d4eac0cbcf5e23c8f1a4a7c3.jpg

For us in zone 7, though very limited in long-term candidates, we can still enjoy palms big and small...polar vortexes notwithstanding.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, GregVirginia7 said:

I would be guessing but maybe 8 so far this season? and at least 18” of height since last summer and I expect another 12” or so by the end of this growing season. I’m truly amazed. It started out a little bigger than this one when it went in the ground in 2014:

image.thumb.jpg.89dced3b4ed13378646730050fe40737.jpgand now it looks like this:
image.thumb.jpg.e54219f1d4eac0cbcf5e23c8f1a4a7c3.jpg

For us in zone 7, though very limited in long-term candidates, we can still enjoy palms big and small...polar vortexes notwithstanding.

:greenthumb: Thats amazing growth! Good work, that trachy is gorgeous! That’s a good spot too though, I really like how it slopes towards the deck so you can see everything. 

6 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Great looking yard you've got up there in Va.  That's a healthy Trachy. 

Thank you for your kind words...it’s a work in progress...just added another Trachy and hope to add a Butia catarinensis soon...if I can get any seeds to sprout...siting that beauty will be critical and prime real estate is limited...:)