Palm Sundae

Leaning towards the sun

Palm Sundae

Have a few Washingtonia robusta/filibusta started from seed and currently in 5 gallon pots. All of them were potted straight up or very nearly so. They now all lean a little or a lot to the south (towards the sun.)

None of my other palms seem to be doing this. Is this normal? Should I try to fix it by turning the pots or will it matter when they go in the ground later this year? Probably not enough time to make much of a difference is what I think.

When they go in the ground I'm guessing it is best to try to get them 'straight' again. Are they small enough to where it does not matter? They will be about 24" tall, smallish compared to big box store palms because they have been in the full AZ sun from Day One with no shade...

Edited by Palm Sundae

RyManUtah

I’ve wondered about this as well. I’ve always speculated it had something to do with reflected heat off the building, and growing away from it. 

Palm Sundae
1 hour ago, RyManUtah said:

I’ve wondered about this as well. I’ve always speculated it had something to do with reflected heat off the building, and growing away from it. 

That would not seem to be the case here.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      A few from Weymouth on the south coast of England...

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      So I am currently on the Isle of Wight, just off the south coast of England. You can cross over from Portsmouth on the ferry, which takes about 30 minutes. The island is a palm paradise in general, but the southeastern portion is almost like a mini Califronia. I will let the photos do the talking. All these CIDP and Washingtonia were planted tiny about 10-15 years ago now.

I'll start with the Trachycarpus Fortunei...

Phoenix Canariensis...

Brahea Edulus...

Brahea Armata...

Going in heavy with the Washingtonia now. Excuse the sun in my eyes...

There were several Jubaea Chilensis planted out...

Butia Odorata...

Chamaerops Humilis...

Musa Basjoo...

Cycas Revoluta...

About a mile down the road we sat down to have lunch, as dolphin pods jumped out of the water while we ate...

Off the coast of Niton, right next to the spot we ate at, I spotted a Washingtonia in a back yard. Unfortunately the garden was not really accessible to get photos, so I unlawfully hopped the fence to get some shots. Not really being one to follow rules, I am certainly glad I went over, since it turns out there were two Washies in that back yard...

Massive palm updates from the Isle of Wight coming. I have barely scratched the surface here...

• xoRudy
      By xoRudy
      Good afternoon! 
      Today I saw a Variegated Washingtonia in Tempe Arizona, in front of someone’s business. First one I’ve seen in person randomly around. Enjoy.

• GardnerDylan6a
      By GardnerDylan6a
      What time of year does W. Filifera or Robusta flower and produce seed?
    • GoatLockerGuns
      By GoatLockerGuns
      Took a trip out to a Washingtonia filifera oasis this month.  I highly recommend it.  Easily accessible with some monster specimens.