IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

BS Man PLANTS PALMS!

BS Man about Palms

Don't think I showed this before.....my two "toasted" Prestoea accuminatas flanking a Ravenea mayotte.

various8-10-07004.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I know that Acanthophoenix crinita!  Mine goes in the ground soon!

Jeff

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

(el-blanco @ Sep. 24 2007,21:01)

I know that Acanthophoenix crinita!  Mine goes in the ground soon!

Jeff

Yep, It was from you, potted it up that week. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Sep. 24 2007,23:45)

Next up- "Maggie"

kp-km-dm-9-20-07016.jpg

whats that big box looking thing in the background?

izzat some kinda space-age dog-kennel?

that wasn't there when len & bob & i carried all those HUGE 87 gallon palms you bought from jdanderson around yer house in the blazing sun!

:P

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Paul-

The box was there, we stopped short of it. It is one of the A/C condensing units. (If you squint real hard you can see it "behind" the box)

It looks different because the stucco guy took the scaffolding two days after you were here.

I think we need to do an intervention.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Sadly, the weeds are currently the most "wicked", but thanks.

Matt- if intervention means weed pulling....."cool"!

Does anyone know what the really big Dypsis is?

I was/is know as the "Highland mealy bug" but does it have a type name?  You Aussie lads, can you help? Clayton?

kp-km-dm-9-20-07009.jpg

Heres two bigger pics.

kp-km-dm-9-20-07013.jpg

kp-km-dm-9-20-07014.jpg

I do like it what ever it is and its the biggest one I know of in So Cal, but I don't know much either! :P

Bill,

There you go again, looking at hiring those "under-trained" ranch hands.  If your palms don't grow well, you've only got yourself to blame.  

Phil

• Upvote 1

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Wow... so many palms in pots. It must be frustating for you. I know so, since we have just recently finished building our house and have been planting like mad. Before we had palms, trees, just about everything in pots - all cramped in 6mX9m shade house - waiting to be planted.

But then, when you get your house finish and you can plants those palms, it would feel GOOD!!!!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

(Gbarce @ Sep. 26 2007,08:35)

BS - you do have a great line up of palms.

Is that a Cycas Debaoensis in post 89?

ummm, theres two in there. The one with the bigger caudex has a 70 degree bend in the petiole and thus is "hidden".

Ari-

I AM looking forward to planting... SOMEDAY. :)

Heres another palm.

It was labeled Ravenea Marinjo...looks like Glauca. ?

various8-10-07009.jpg

• 6 months later...

(BS, Man about Palms @ Sep. 24 2007,20:42)

Umm, Mad Fox.  I hope it stays this healthy. (I put it in a 3 gal pot right after this picture)

kp-km-dm-9-20-07007.jpg

Update picture....   Yayy!!!  It has a little brother now :D   I also found it a equal sized cousin, but it didn't make it...  :(

cycadsetc012.jpg

BS,

You have a great collection of palms and a bit of a canopy already! I am curious, I know you've got construction going on but do you have a plan for what you're going to do in your landscape?

You know, I bet a lot of us would really enjoy a planting event weekend at your place when the time is right and you've got your plan!

Great stuff.

Randy

Chandler, Arizona

USDA Hardiness Zone 9b(Warming to 10a)

Lowest Temps (usually) in the upper 20's

(Freeze of '07 lowest temp was 18dF)

Highest temps (usually) in the triple digit teens

BILL!

Oh, heavens!

Your backyard looks like mine!

Pots, everywhere.

Non-running cars . . . .

Weeds in abundance . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 years later...

Some time has passed since this thread was started. :hmm: It would be interesting if Bill could give us an update on these palms. :interesting:

Show us the pics Bill! :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Bill, How about an update on your "Highland Mealybug"? I have a few, but would like to see a fresh pic of yours. :winkie: Show me yours & I'll show you mine. :)

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Wow.... How weird is that? I was up late last night looking at this very thread before Moose bumped it..

Randy, its "fatter" at the base and holding 2 leaves and a 10 spear.. that are not in the best of shape. Doing it again, I would only give part sun... I would think this palm would do very well for you.. :)

Wow.... How weird is that? I was up late last night looking at this very thread before Moose bumped it..

Randy, its "fatter" at the base and holding 2 leaves and a 10 spear.. that are not in the best of shape. Doing it again, I would only give part sun... I would think this palm would do very well for you.. :)

That's it? :unsure: No pictures? :blink: Do we need to send Matty and his "sausage fingers" over to take the photos? :rolleyes:

Sure is a weird that I bumped it ... :huh:

Bill, How about an update on your "Highland Mealybug"? I have a few, but would like to see a fresh pic of yours. :winkie: Show me yours & I'll show you mine. :)

-Randy

Well.... here Randy... not pretty, but here it is.. your turn.

post-27-020173000 1330038566_thumb.jpg post-27-037093500 1330038595_thumb.jpg

Bill, you have putted an Acanthophoenix in the ground? GREAT! :greenthumb:B)

Bill for president. :D

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

Bill, you have putted an Acanthophoenix in the ground? GREAT! :greenthumb:B)

Bill for president. :D

Ha ha.. I do not choose to run! :D

• 6 months later...

Was looking for another thread and bumped this for "picture alignment" issues...

Dean, Is that something at your end I would guess? Its interesting to see whats planted, whats growing, here .. or gone.

Now what type of palm is that? It sure is green!

Also had "Celebrity Ranch Hand" tryouts.. :0

milla26.jpg

Think "sci-fi" and orange hair..... tongue.gif

Edited by rprimbs

• 1 year later...

Rebump.. shame on me

Some time has passed since this thread was started. :hmm: It would be interesting if Bill could give us an update on these palms. :interesting:

Show us the pics Bill! :greenthumb:

And now this post gets rebumped. Wishful thinking about you posting the pics.

Wow.. page 2 looks pretty weird..