IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

BS Man PLANTS PALMS!

BS Man about Palms

Bill,

You have some neat stuff just "crying out" to be planted. Do I need to fly out there for a couple of days with one of my good digging shovels and show you how it feels in your hands? :D  And whats up with all the weeds? Do I need to bring......awe nevermind, I'll bring the round-up too. But you do have some great stuff waiting........talk to you soon on the nextels.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

this thread has become a "container ranch tour" & the worst part is NO ranchhands!i want my money back!!!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(pohonkelapa @ Aug. 14 2007,11:58)

this thread has become a "container ranch tour" & the worst part is NO ranchhands!i want my money back!!!

What- Did you miss post #37? :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Beautiful palms. Orange Crush are beautiful!! How come you aren't planting them? You live in a condo? You opening a nursery? They really want to be in the gound, don't cha know.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

i DID miss post #37! i take everything i said back.

who is that,tho?when you say sci-fi & orange hair i am thinking  milla j...

still "warning-free."

(epicure3 @ Aug. 14 2007,21:55)

Beautiful palms. Orange Crush are beautiful!! How come you aren't planting them? You live in a condo? You opening a nursery? They really want to be in the gound, don't cha know.

John-

Did YOU miss post #35?   two thirds of my house looks like that.  Something about clumsy workers that don't care about  palms carrying heavy loads and on scaffolding makes me nervous.... call me chicken.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(pohonkelapa @ Aug. 14 2007,22:18)

i DID miss post #37! i take everything i said back.

who is that,tho?when you say sci-fi & orange hair i am thinking  milla j...

"Ding ding ding" You are correct sir!  :D

she's my future ex-wife(i hope). :cool:

still "warning-free."

(BS @ Man about Palms,Aug. 15 2007,09:40)

John-

Did YOU miss post #35?   two thirds of my house looks like that.  Something about clumsy workers that don't care about  palms carrying heavy loads and on scaffolding makes me nervous.... call me chicken.

I went back and there it was. Sorry.

You have probably made a good call. The last thing you want to hear is somebody apologizing for stucco-ing your Orange Crush and saying....."sorry about shellacking the queen palm, man. I can pick up another 5 gallon for you at the Home Depot"

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Heres a Ravenea xerophila.

various8-10-07007.jpg

Bill, where's the palm?  :P  :P  :P

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Heres the "mystery" palm noted in post #33.

I hope that a "jumbo' 15 gal (now in this box) Dypsis lastelliana stands a good chance to survive.  

Man these are difficult when small!!!

various8-10-07017.jpg

another view.

various8-10-07016.jpg

(deezpalms @ Aug. 16 2007,20:38)

Bill, where's the palm?  :P  :P  :P

OK- fair enough.......

poor picture of a "anorexic palm shape" to start with....,

but look at that heel!!!!!!

I also potted this up, but don't know what it is.

I think I got it from Ron Lawyer as "Dypsis Cabadae look-a-like". It is about 5 times faster than the last Cabadae I had.    This was a decent sized 1 gal about 6 months ago,

it's a rocket!!! :D

various8-10-07019.jpg

It looks VERY similar to the "Dypsis Ankazenensis" I picked up at Jungle Music recently.

It is the palm on the left of the photo below.

Bdaypalms003.jpg

Bill,

How old is the Ravenea xerophila?  I have one in a one (maybe two) gallon.  Wondering how many years to get to the size of your 15g one.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

(iwan @ Aug. 16 2007,21:08)

Bill,

How old is the Ravenea xerophila?  I have one in a one (maybe two) gallon.  Wondering how many years to get to the size of your 15g one.

I would guess 3-4 years.  :(

PS- Glad you could see it !!!  :laugh:

how long do you leave the red tags on?

just wanna be sure i'm doing it right :D

still "warning-free."

(pohonkelapa @ Aug. 16 2007,21:18)

how long do you leave the red tags on?

just wanna be sure i'm doing it right :D

'til their tight!! :D

(BS @ Man about Palms,Aug. 16 2007,23:35)

various8-10-07007.jpg

Dear Bill  :)

Lovely palms and beautiful stills.but i need some information on the perilite seen in some of your pots & containers.

can you give me dealers address & websites who ship this stuff internationally.i need the coarse horticulture grade perilite quantity 40 kg bag.

since my friends are there in the U.S.A who can make payment

via international credit card.but i want this item to be shipped to me through sea and not Air(it would be expensive) based on my distance.

So need dealers address & their websites who trade in retail and not wholeslae.my requirement will be around 40 Kg.

Kindly get me some details_Please.

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

bs i was wondering what you are feeding the weeds to keep them so green & lush?

still "warning-free."

(BS, Man about Palms @ Aug. 15 2007,08:40)

John-

Well that explains it, I was beginning to think you had some sort of commitment issue.   :D

It will be beautiful when you can get all those palms in the ground.  Any idea when you might actually be able to plant them?

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

(mjff @ Aug. 17 2007,14:15)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Aug. 15 2007,08:40)

John-

Well that explains it, I was beginning to think you had some sort of commitment issue.   :D

It will be beautiful when you can get all those palms in the ground.  Any idea when you might actually be able to plant them?

Martin, hope those Jubeas are happy!,

I repair heating and air conditioning systems for a living. I have become the "chief" troubleshooter at work (used to be two of us) and during the summer they DO NOT like to give me time off. Then 8-10 or more hours in the heat fixing broken units, by the time I get home, I have just enough oomph left to do watering and minor maint. on the palms....

I got my most recent work done on the addition in April or so when I could take a couple days off a week, I then treat the house like "my job"

I should add that I'm doing about 35% of the work and its up to "my part" where it came to a grinding halt.  I've seen some of the work out there...I have trust issues. :(

I'm sure this will amuse many of you out there, but I'm a borderline perfectionist, one trait of perfectionists is that "if you don't have EVERYTHING to do a perfect job, then don't even start" . Sometimes good, mostly bad.

(pohonkelapa @ Aug. 17 2007,11:41)

bs i was wondering what you are feeding the weeds to keep them so green & lush?

Special water. Lots of it. and then you have to wish they wouldn't grow.  If I wanted them to grow, of course they wouldn't!  :P

(krisachar @ Aug. 17 2007,09:18)

Dear Bill  :)

Lovely palms and beautiful stills.but i need some information on the perilite seen in some of your pots & containers.

can you give me dealers address & websites who ship this stuff internationally.i need the coarse horticulture grade perilite quantity 40 kg bag.

since my friends are there in the U.S.A who can make payment

via international credit card.but i want this item to be shipped to me through sea and not Air(it would be expensive) based on my distance.

So need dealers address & their websites who trade in retail and not wholeslae.my requirement will be around 40 Kg.

Kindly get me some details_Please.

thanks & love,

Kris-

I have no idea. I don't use "all" perlite, its just I add anywhere from a 1 part perlite to 3 parts palm and cactus mix up to a 50/50 mix of the same, with Nutricote.  

When you water them in, the perlite kinda floats to the top on the first "replant soak-in".

:D

just trying to see if i could get you to come outta yer cave!

still "warning-free."

(pohonkelapa @ Aug. 17 2007,20:05)

:D

just trying to see if i could get you to come outta yer cave!

I'm staying in the cool part of the cave right now (or was) the computer is in the hot part......It was a lot hotter BEFORE the addition though!

Later, off to the Torito!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Aug. 17 2007,21:53)

(mjff @ Aug. 17 2007,14:15)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Aug. 15 2007,08:40)

John-

Martin, hope those Jubeas are happy!,

I repair heating and air conditioning systems for a living. I have become the "chief" troubleshooter at work (used to be two of us) and during the summer they DO NOT like to give me time off. Then 8-10 or more hours in the heat fixing broken units, by the time I get home, I have just enough oomph left to do watering and minor maint. on the palms....

I got my most recent work done on the addition in April or so when I could take a couple days off a week, I then treat the house like "my job"

I should add that I'm doing about 35% of the work and its up to "my part" where it came to a grinding halt.  I've seen some of the work out there...I have trust issues. :(

I'm sure this will amuse many of you out there, but I'm a borderline perfectionist, one trait of perfectionists is that "if you don't have EVERYTHING to do a perfect job, then don't even start" . Sometimes good, mostly bad.

The Jubaeas seem happy so far.  The hot dry weather this week caused some of them to lose some of their oldest fronds (they turned yellow).  A couple are threatening to lose the lowest fronds all the way around the tree, while a couple of them show no signs of losing any fronds.  

The former Tropical Storm Erin is raining itself out over us.  I haven't checked the rain gauge yet, but judging fom the amount of water in the previously dry stock tanks and standing around the yard we probably got over 4" in the last day and a half with more on the way.

Now they are saying Hurricane Dean may head this way.  We are so far inland that there will be no wind with it when it gets here, but that is going to be a lot of rain for a couple of week period if it shows up too.

Anybody know how long it would take a Jubaea to die from the move if the move was too stressful?  I'm trying to get an idea when I can start breathing a little easier.

I can relate to your trust issues, that's why I wound up building most of this house myself, that and the ridiculous prices some of the contractors wanted to charge for their mediocre work.

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Dear Martin Farris  :)

never worry about those little giants,since they were handled by the pros & we all did see the effort put in by all the folks..

And a small peice of advice when you invest heaviely on some

dream project always never expect returns from it or at least

immedietly.forget it as thought you have bought a worthless peice of painting for the sake of malariea eradication program

conducted by the UNICEF in namiabia or ethopia..

then you will have a sound sleep,do you get the point & equation...less expectation more joy !

But do not worry every baby in your yard will shurely make it...and in years to come even bond movies will be shot in that location... :)

Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 4 weeks later...

(BS, Man about Palms @ Aug. 16 2007,21:10)

(iwan @ Aug. 16 2007,21:08)

Bill,

I would guess 3-4 years.  :(

PS- Glad you could see it !!!  :laugh:

Iwan- I think I was wrong. Probably closer to 8-9 years.

• 2 weeks later...

OKay-

Got a few more palms planted and some more pics taken. Not nesc. in that order.

kp-km-dm-9-20-07001.jpg

K. Piersoniorum

Some other views.

kp-km-dm-9-20-07002.jpg

kp-km-dm-9-20-07004.jpg

In this last shot you can spot the "post pot-up" marks. The spear has pushed a good 6"= which is "frieghtin" for this baby! :D

kp-km-dm-9-20-07003.jpg

Umm, Mad Fox.  I hope it stays this healthy. (I put it in a 3 gal pot right after this picture)

kp-km-dm-9-20-07007.jpg

A view of "da trunk ". I like the "junk in the trunk"...

kp-km-dm-9-20-07008.jpg

Next up- "Maggie"

kp-km-dm-9-20-07016.jpg

Heres my K. Magnifica. NO I did not take it from Len!!

kp-km-dm-9-20-07012.jpg

A trunk close up.  Those both are in 20" boxes for reference.

kp-km-dm-9-20-07011.jpg