IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

BS Man PLANTS PALMS!

BS Man about Palms

Well, I've been wanted to participate in the "look at what I planted" revoulution and since I rarely can do that (yet) I thought I would post when I "plant" anything palmy. It may be in the ground (unlikely) or in a box or a bigger pot. Either way, I'm giving that baby more room to grow!

Picture next- But it will be drawn out, I've "potted" up a bit, just haven't managed pix yet, bear with me.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

OK- First up.

My Dypsis "Big Curly". Currently I believe an unnamed palm from one of Mardy Darien's trips to Madagascar.

bigcurly-betafaka001.jpg

It is "curly"  :D

bigcurly-betafaka002.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I should warn some folks. I'm a fan of the trim when its "brown and down" school.  Most of the brown you see is original burn from a greenhouse or shade OR the great "freeze" of January 07.  Whats in the first two pics has been in full sun for almost a year. (coastal San Diego)

Dear Bill  :)

beautiful palm i hope some one will tell its botanical name,it looks like a foxtail type species...!

and the still resolution is fentastic and more attractive is your

wooden containers its very sexy my friend. :)

thanks & Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi Bill!

That's a beauty! Is it a clumper? How big do you think it'll get?

I only just now (Sunday) trimmed the burned leaves off my Rivularis from the freeze earlier this year. Got lots more to do :)

Hope you're doing good!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Very cool palm! Love the curl. I trim brown off too, on ALL plants not just palms. Of course its August now and no rain so I have lots of banana leaves to trim  :(  just can't seem to keep up with the sprinklers

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

(Scott @ Aug. 09 2007,00:32)

Hi Bill!

I only just now (Sunday) trimmed the burned leaves off my Rivularis from the freeze earlier this year. Got lots more to do :)

Hope you're doing good!

Hi Scott!

Its a big single dypsis...someday.  See the last pics of the last tour thread I started (I also have a few more to add there too)

Kris and Gina- Thanks! I think it looks pretty cool too!

Bill...I'll give you $75 for that Big Curly. Don't wait too long, though...I may change my mind.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Bill-

Very nice looking, how come these are not in the ground yet?

I have a palm received as D. canaliculata that looks like a smaller plant of "Big Curly".

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Beautiful Dypsis. How tall does it get?

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

(cfkingfish @ Aug. 09 2007,07:15)

Bill-

I have a palm received as D. canaliculata that looks like a smaller plant of "Big Curly".

I've got a few D. caniculata's and they do look very similar even at a small size. I will be very, very, very happy if they turn out to be "Big curly"!!  :D

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

I did a day of slave labor for one of those years ago ,it did a mid summer die in a few days time for no apparent reason .

Bill,

I picked this up from Ron Lawyer a year ago.  Sure looks like yours... sure would be cool if it turns out being a Big Curly !!

dypsis 002.jpg

dypsis 004.jpg

dypsis 005.jpg

LOL, you're absolutely right...

He said it may be D. hovomantsina.

No one really knows any of these big dypsis 100%

I'm not gonna be convinced that Bill himself planted that palm 'til i see the DIRT ON HIS HANDS!!!!   :P

all kidding aside.....YAAAAY FOR BILL!!!

good job i say sir!

(PiousPalms @ Aug. 09 2007,20:44)

That big curly is a sweety for sure, but the D. "Orange Crush" in the first pic still catches my eye!  :;):

Bill, No Orarange crush in either pic.......they're coming and you won't miss them.

Not a Schwinn, good old Sears and Roebuck.  Would you believe my FIRST 2 wheeled bike!  I took the training wheels off it..oh.. about 35+ YEARS ago! (Big wheels, 26 inch) I had to stand on a cinder block to get on the bike, then "push off".

Bill-

Christian- You may see some of my "house project" in some later pics. (adding 2500 sq. ft. on an 800 sq. ft. home) I'm a bit afraid of "workers"

Yes- to both Christian and JD alot of the big dypsis look similar at various stages...wejust have to wait longer for the answers than Bo does... :D

Gileno-

Look on this thread for a bigger one.

http://palmtalk.org/cgi-bin....2;st=40

Happy to see people like the beginning! I have many more to post!

And the wood box makes a good "gopher barrier" as I drop the box directly into the ground in the future. It then just rots away. :D

(deezpalms @ Aug. 09 2007,11:08)

Bill-

I've got a few D. caniculata's and they do look very similar even at a small size. I will be very, very, very happy if they turn out to be "Big curly"!!  :D

Dave- I've got one too. I know it'll be cool whatever it is.

(JD- got a couple of those too)

JD, I got one too. He called it Dypsis 'Split leaf' when he sold it to me. Nice plant, but damn is it slow. I have D. canaliculata too (perhaps from the same source as Christian ?). They look similar, but are definitely different. Just both really slow.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Here is a Gigas of mine some of you may remember...IN THE GROUND.  :D

various8-10-07006.jpg

Oh yes, the portopottie is for the ongoing addition, visible just above the potty.  :(

Here is a recent pot-up of an "Acanthophoenix crinita"

various8-10-07001.jpg

A wee bit spikey, but after seeing Gary Levines just starting to trunk, I thought it's pretty cool as its base is somewhat smooth.

various8-10-07002.jpg

(Scott @ Aug. 09 2007,00:32)

Hi Bill!

Hope you're doing good!

Scott- should get to be a big single trunk palm....someday.

I'm doin good, glad to see your posts again!

Here is a Syagrus romanz. x Syagrus Schiza., the germinator calls it the "cocconut queen" I think in FL. its known as "Montgomeryanna"

various8-10-07003.jpg

Very thick, full and lush as it grows. Makes a regular queen look anorexic.

And oh yes, my "twin pak". :D

2 Ravenea Sambiranensis that happen to "nestle" their saxophone heels up next to each other and -push out-.

various8-10-07008.jpg

Here is what was known as Dypsis cereceus. Probably Dypsis nauseosa.

various8-10-07020.jpg

It actually looks better than the pic shows. It came from a greenhouse about 9 months ago. Nice spear pushing too.

Not to mention the "graveyard" palms nearby.... :(

Parajubea Torallyi v torallyi.

This was in a 15 gal pot that had rooted into the ground last  fall. So far , so good!

various8-10-07012.jpg

Dypsis "Orange Crush"  #1 for Bill.  This palm spent the first night or two of the "freeze" outside, then only was inside a few weeks, then, "back out in it!"

You can see some cold damage, but I think it will come out OKay.

various8-10-07014.jpg

Bill, that Torallyi rocks!!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Dypsis "Orange Crush" #2. Aquired AFTER the freeze event. BUT still was getting hit by a fan at the greenhouse where it was.

various8-10-07015.jpg

hmmm, wonder whats next to it?  we'll find out later. :D

Thanks Dave!

Here is a Hyophorbe indica red form. It was in a 5 gal pot. Dave knows this palm too!

various8-10-07013.jpg

Someday I'll trim all my plants before I take their picture. Kinda like a haircut before you send your kid for the school pictures......

Until then, hopefully you'all can appreciate "diamonds in the rough". :P

Here are some nice big Ravenas awaiting a "pot up" REAL soon!! (currently in 15 gal pots..)

various8-10-07018.jpg

Christian, this lets you know the state of affairs at my place and why they aren't planted yet.

Here is my Dypsis Species Mayotte. It was a 5 gal size (big) and spent the cold RIGHT NEXT TO THE TORALLYI. (about 28F) Its coming back gangbusters. :)

various8-10-07011.jpg

more tomorrow

Also had "Celebrity Ranch Hand" tryouts..  :0

milla26.jpg

Think "sci-fi" and orange hair..... :P

(BS @ Man about Palms,Aug. 10 2007,23:36)

various8-10-07006.jpg

how do you folks all fill soil in that wooden box container seen in this still.since the bottom section has large gaps,if filled with soil want it get washed out while watering this container ?

and how long does wooden boxes last,since here anything made of wood disintegrates within a spam of 6 to 8 months

due to white ants & termites.and the wood also disintegrates due to sunlight and rainfall.

Thanks & Love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I forgot to mention about the ranch hands,she's terrefic but will she give love(since i see that term in her constume) ?  :D

thanks,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Aug. 12 2007,23:35)

how do you folks all fill soil in that wooden box container seen in this still.since the bottom section has large gaps,if filled with soil want it get washed out while watering this container ?

and how long does wooden boxes last,since here anything made of wood disintegrates within a spam of 6 to 8 months

due to white ants & termites.and the wood also disintegrates due to sunlight and rainfall.

Thanks & Love,

Kris-

That is for drainage they just figure a bigger needs more outlets I guess. I put a thin sheet of cardboard (ripped to half its thickness) over some of the cracks to keep the soil in while planting. It then rots away while the soil compacts to hold it all in.

Around here, while we do have some sun and heat, we have very little rain and the termites are not much of a problem, so a box like that can usually last 2-3 years without problems. (It make look a bit ugly at the end)

BS

PS-I hope there is truth in advertising. :D