IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mule Palm - Questions

Peachs

- Can a mule palm live well in partial shade?  Sun from 1:00 p.m.

- Does this palm tree need much more water, than for example a W. filifera?

- Does the soil pH, type of soil, affect yellowing of the leaves?  In my area, about 6.5 ph

- Does a palm mule over 2 meters (total height) withstand low temperatures outside?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Peachs said:

- Can a mule palm live well in partial shade?  Sun from 1:00 p.m.                                                                                                             Should be OK but prefers full sun.

- Does this palm tree need much more water, than for example a W. filifera?                                                                                            Needs more than a W. filifera to get established but can get by with minimal irrigation once established.

- Does the soil pH, type of soil, affect yellowing of the leaves?  In my area, about 6.5 ph                                                                          Not sure - doesn't seem to me that 6.5 pH be a problem.

- Does a palm mule over 2 meters (total height) withstand low temperatures outside?                                                                            Will need some protection its first winter in the ground but once established can handle a lot of cold.

Thanks!

See above.

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 2

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

See above.

Thank you!  The growth is similar to the Filifera or faster?  Finally, $300 in Europe (total height 2 meters), is it too expensive?

What is the trunk diameter? Any pics? Also, what do you mean by low temperatures? 

47 minutes ago, Swolte said:

What is the trunk diameter? Any pics? Also, what do you mean by low temperatures? 

Photo from the internet (similar to this one).  By the way, what is the final diameter of the trunk as an adult?

976-B7-AE0-018-E-4084-B9-F5-9-CE36-A8-B6

Regarding trunk diameter.  I started a thread on this a couple of weeks ago - seems there is no definitive answer.

• Like 1

My experience in zone 8 is fair. I started with three. I am down to one - which is the one planted in full sun. The others have succumbed to winter shade lines. We will discuss the one: 

It has seen at least three lows in the teens (Fahrenheit) , two snow storms and spear pull.  The spring recovery growth was fast enough to grow itself out of any rot, as you can see here: 

E8B175B4-99A5-44FB-8F10-B2240E3DF77C.thumb.jpeg.a48cfb16fda2e33b15fd0b924bfe76f5.jpeg

The new spears look perfectly healthy:

E8C6B835-9F52-4ED7-A0D8-B444A9484FA4.thumb.jpeg.b3fba310d8689475cbb69df7b580e2f0.jpeg

I speculate soil isn’t an issue. My soil hardy holds any water and has a pH of over 8. Mine is green as can be, save for any winter cosmetic damage. Here is an overall view of the palm:

41FA4BD9-EDB9-45E8-A9B4-DA0BA75BC8C8.thumb.jpeg.3bd76ab42b19ac9227392447b4bbf1fa.jpeg

8 months ago for comparison - it has doubled in base girth:

C00F7DD3-55F9-4D1F-BD22-1709A0C57F27.thumb.jpeg.72ceb1c079b842d1617890b6ff629bb1.jpeg

An important note on the spear pull - the palm received a high amount of sprinkler water to the crown, until they were transitioned to more efficient delivery manifolds. I expect a better performance next winter/spring. 

Hope this helps! 

56 minutes ago, James W said:

Regarding trunk diameter.  I started a thread on this a couple of weeks ago - seems there is no definitive answer.

Thanks!

40 minutes ago, RyManUtah said:

My experience in zone 8 is fair. I started with three. I am down to one - which is the one planted in full sun. The others have succumbed to winter shade lines. We will discuss the one: 

It has seen at least three lows in the teens (Fahrenheit) , two snow storms and spear pull.  The spring recovery growth was fast enough to grow itself out of any rot, as you can see here: 

E8B175B4-99A5-44FB-8F10-B2240E3DF77C.thumb.jpeg.a48cfb16fda2e33b15fd0b924bfe76f5.jpeg

The new spears look perfectly healthy:

E8C6B835-9F52-4ED7-A0D8-B444A9484FA4.thumb.jpeg.b3fba310d8689475cbb69df7b580e2f0.jpeg

I speculate soil isn’t an issue. My soil hardy holds any water and has a pH of over 8. Mine is green as can be, save for any winter cosmetic damage. Here is an overall view of the palm:

41FA4BD9-EDB9-45E8-A9B4-DA0BA75BC8C8.thumb.jpeg.3bd76ab42b19ac9227392447b4bbf1fa.jpeg

8 months ago for comparison - it has doubled in base girth:

C00F7DD3-55F9-4D1F-BD22-1709A0C57F27.thumb.jpeg.72ceb1c079b842d1617890b6ff629bb1.jpeg

An important note on the spear pull - the palm received a high amount of sprinkler water to the crown, until they were transitioned to more efficient delivery manifolds. I expect a better performance next winter/spring. 

Hope this helps! 

Very good growth!
Can the width of the palm leaves be controlled by cutting the lower ones more regularly?  The house is 2 meters from the trunk.

3 minutes ago, Peachs said:

Very good growth!
Can the width of the palm leaves be controlled by cutting the lower ones more regularly?  The house is 2 meters from the trunk.

Unfortunately, I’m uncertain. I speculate that the trunk will simply be what it will be. Being a hybrid, it could be anywhere between either parent or perhaps larger. I doubt the trunk will reach a diameter of 2 meters; however, the fronds could be longer than that in length.  
I don’t know of a way to control frond size, other than shade vs sunlight. 

22 minutes ago, RyManUtah said:

Unfortunately, I’m uncertain. I speculate that the trunk will simply be what it will be. Being a hybrid, it could be anywhere between either parent or perhaps larger. I doubt the trunk will reach a diameter of 2 meters; however, the fronds could be longer than that in length.  
I don’t know of a way to control frond size, other than shade vs sunlight. 

Thanks.  As for the value, $300 in the size of the photo, what do you think?

7 minutes ago, Peachs said:

Thanks.  As for the value, $300 in the size of the photo, what do you think?

For me, yes. I got a $225 Brahea, because it was there and it was silver. I would not pay more than $40 for something like a Washingtonia, because I can get this myself.

A mule isn’t a palm available locally. I had them shipped from Misssissippi. Different regions would offer different value.

Consider things like rarity, shipping, fuel to travel, speed of growth etc.  In the end, a palm is worth what you are willing to invest into it. 

• Upvote 1