IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Final Visit to Searle Brothers Nursery

Looking Glass

I was on Facebook yesterday and saw some sad news from weeks ago!....  they had announced Searle Brothers Nursery was closing, and they sold the property, and are retiring and clearing the place out.   So I called over and made what will be a final visit there.   So sad for the Palm fanatics, and local newbies like me.  Best of luck to Jeff and company in their retirement adventures....

Jeff was nice enough to tolerate my ignorant pestering and helped me gather up some palms for my place.... great guy and a great nursery.   I thought I’d post some pics and mention it to everyone here since many of you are familiar..

Goodbye giant Alfredii....30263067-4AD4-4E65-A163-D5F817EE0422.thumb.jpeg.163a6f17c54da0bf0beb2e18e549bd82.jpeg

Goodbye giant Fenestralis pair....CE58E5AF-7639-4592-9333-2E4DEA7EAD8F.thumb.jpeg.feeb58330b43d67c757a77b43312bc4c.jpeg088E87F3-2A94-4BDF-BDCD-1EF5214E6A8C.thumb.jpeg.d2518ee1b9d09a309a8f6cf703a97c1b.jpeg

Goodbye giant other palms....6A6907D2-C665-4432-B70F-79B9F103BAD2.thumb.jpeg.e2c5d76b79643f510832b10a9d9cb36d.jpeg

I did manage to pic up some stuff of course...  I’ve only been there three times ever, and that place has probably  provided me with 2+ years worth of future digging and planting to do in total.....  

Jeff had plans for what seemed like matching little pseudophoenixes to the one I picked up at the Spring sale, but he let me get this fat, one-armed bandit Pseudophoenix sargentii instead....D8ADC7A6-1DEC-4A7D-85B6-5E2A708A78A2.thumb.jpeg.e0a3a551e879be5c6d8fd351a88e91f9.jpeg

Dypsis carlsmithii 5 gallon....BDB4B524-2769-4025-BC17-AC7F37BE9696.thumb.jpeg.6ffdc1e7b8f84001b2cd4927c7fa9091.jpeg

Coccothrinax borhidiana....633FAA0D-BC57-4724-AF41-FFC4289F46AA.thumb.jpeg.8342dccfd7bd589f0933dda23f82753e.jpeg

Coccothrinax miraguama.....C23DF911-97EA-439C-ACCC-5D3DBF992D0E.thumb.jpeg.0e4a9a5e9d72f060d731d5283a21febe.jpeg

Coccothrinax crinita mutt....59294571-A493-4B5B-916D-4ADDE49A79DC.thumb.jpeg.67db6bc75849098e41bc0db15e5211ed.jpeg

Two small satakentia.....3E024D9F-EFFE-445B-8A15-54B31905A582.thumb.jpeg.38ce4a82f548a199ccca5365f3d7609b.jpeg

Random babies (Archontophoenix alexandre fingerling, Two K Oliviformis babies, Dikenia nobilis baby)6F824766-E8B6-440C-BE29-3A48B82CFF58.thumb.jpeg.4e1efc1f7f9b99e72fcb7cdf76acdaad.jpeg

Now I have some serious planting and potting to get to later in the week.  
Thanks, Jeff and Searle Brothers....  I hardly knew ye...  

Edited by Looking Glass
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 2

A first class operation! It will genuinely be missed by anyone that has been  fortunate enough to be able to have attended one of the sales. Great memories! :lol2:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Making the semi-annual trek down US-27 to pay a visit to the sale was a good road trip.  Good luck to Jeff and the rest of the crew.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

First Taco Bell takes away the Mexican Pizza, now this. 

• Like 6

Very sad to see them retire, but happy for the whole family to get to retire. Now we have to figure out where to get our palm fix? Jeff and Larry have had a great selection of palms and other plants to pick from. What are our options for the future ? I know Jeff is going to do some small scale growing in his retirement, he can’t give it all up. 

Happy Retirement to the whole crew!

• Like 2

Wow this is absolutely horrible news for the palm community. It has always been a dream of mine to get down to one of there sales :crying: I really hope his B.Alfredii can be moved since its the first fruiting tree here in the states. I can't imagine how long it will take them to get rid of there inventory. Or not haha 

Good luck to the Searle Bro's and Co. What a sad day for the palm community !!! 

Sincerely T J 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

T J 

3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Wow this is absolutely horrible news for the palm community. It has always been a dream of mine to get down to one of there sales :crying: I really hope his B.Alfredii can be moved since its the first fruiting tree here in the states. I can't imagine how long it will take them to get rid of there inventory. Or not haha 

Sincerely T J 

I believe it is for sale, if anyone wants it.  Would be a hell of a job to move it, but people transplant field grown giant Royals around here all the time, so it certainly can be done.     

So the buyer of the property has other ideas for it's use??  Sad

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

8 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I really hope his B.Alfredii can be moved since its the first fruiting tree here in the states.

Sincerely T J 

I was thinking the same thing after only recently reading about it flowering on here.  But on the flip side, there will be more flowering in the coming years for sure.

• Like 2

I visited the place back in 2007 - 2008 and it was an epic nursery. But, I know that operating a place like that takes a lot of work (multiple Herculean labors, day after day), and I suspect it just got tiring.

Best of luck to all you all over at Searle nursery.

Palm nuts, you'll find other dealers to get your fix. When you do, support them!

• Like 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Sad to hear, they always have amazing plants. Best of luck to all.

• Like 2

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Hopefully the specialty palm nursery business here in florida can grow to replace some of what it has lost with the closing of Searle brothers.  The specialty business is going to be the only one where you can get many amazing palms.  Just like every other area of our economy the mega corporations, big box stores will try to over run these specialty palm operations.  This is why I wont buy palms from a big box store.   Ultimately the big box stores shrink the species selection for everyone.  Best wishes to the Searle family in retirement (if you happen to read this).  Your business has been a major conduit for many beautiful species of palms that grace and inspire our landscapes.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

2 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Hopefully the specialty palm nursery business here in florida can grow to replace some of what it has lost with the closing of Searle brothers.  The specialty business is going to be the only one where you can get many amazing palms.  Just like every other area of our economy the mega corporations, big box stores will try to over run these specialty palm operations.  This is why I wont buy palms from a big box store.   Ultimately the big box stores shrink the species selection for everyone.  Best wishes to the Searle family in retirement (if you happen to read this).  Your business has been a major conduit for many beautiful species of palms that grace and inspire our landscapes.

I think I remeber Jeff stating at one point the palms where his passion but not the money maker. He basically did that for the enjoyment of palms but the regular stock paid the bills.

I'd guess the land will be turned into houses, because we can't shove enough people into this state.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

45 minutes ago, redant said:

I'd guess the land will be turned into houses, because we can't shove enough people into this state.

Probably not. The land is located under huge high tension electrical towers and probably would only be suitable for another grower.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

4 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Probably not. The land is located under huge high tension electrical towers and probably would only be suitable for another grower.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Hmm. Sounds like leased land.

We have that here. They might turn into "mini storage" instead, which a lot of cities here have pushed for.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

It is going to another grower, just not a palm grower.  I thought with real estate the way it is, it would be for houses, but good point about those lines too. 

• Like 1

Sorry to see them go and wish Jeff and Andrea all the best in their retirement. They earned it. End of an era for FL palm lovers. Glad I was able to get those final rare palms in Naples a couple months ago.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I sincerely hope that whomever purchased the place plans on leaving the palms that are planted in the ground. 

Sounds silly and in no comparison, but when the elephant bar and grill closed its doors 10 years ago, there were many gorgeous palms planted in front and around the restaurant. When someone finally bought the space, they tore down the building a the palms! The irony is that they turned it into a In & Out burger, whose very mascot is palm trees!!! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

First Taco Bell takes away the Mexican Pizza, now this. 

Dr. Pepper Shakes are next on the list.... :floor:

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

12 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Dr. Pepper Shakes are next on the list.... :floor:

I'm diabetic so that might not be the worst thing lol 

• Like 2

I am sorry to see them go as well.

I live in Fort Lauderdale and have attended their plant sale for the last five years.

I was at the sale in March and they told me they are retiring.  They also mentioned they may have one final sale event during the summer to celebrate, I guess they decided against that.  It is a lot of work to organize those sales and they were very well attended.

When you visited in the last few days do they still have plenty of plants available?  Or only the "dig it up yourself" kind?  They are normally closed to the public wholesale only so I wonder if I drive by for a final look if they are even open to the public.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miamicuse said:

I am sorry to see them go as well.

I live in Fort Lauderdale and have attended their plant sale for the last five years.

I was at the sale in March and they told me they are retiring.  They also mentioned they may have one final sale event during the summer to celebrate, I guess they decided against that.  It is a lot of work to organize those sales and they were very well attended.

When you visited in the last few days do they still have plenty of plants available?  Or only the "dig it up yourself" kind?  They are normally closed to the public wholesale only so I wonder if I drive by for a final look if they are even open to the public.

I would say that there were some potted plants/palms to be found if you hunted around, but that main shade house used for the sale was pretty well emptied out, and they were cleaning up fast.  There were a couple other people there, asking about this and that.   Not everything was marked or for sale.   Best to call over first, if you are going to stop by and are interested in palms specifically.    

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 1:18 PM, Looking Glass said:

I would say that there were some potted plants/palms to be found if you hunted around, but that main shade house used for the sale was pretty well emptied out, and they were cleaning up fast.  There were a couple other people there, asking about this and that.   Not everything was marked or for sale.   Best to call over first, if you are going to stop by and are interested in palms specifically.    

I stopped by the nursery on last Friday morning.

Still some plants left, I saw a few I like to get my hands on, but they had no prices, turns out Jeff is off that day, and those not priced were plants already sold to others and they were just staged there for later pick up.

I saw a few other plants I like but some are in pots but the roots have penetrated into the ground, and may have deeper roots.  So I am not sure how that works LOL.

Picked up half a dozen plants.  One of them is this Chamaedorea Deckeriana.

IMG_20210618_143527.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was close by the nursery a few days ago for something else so I decided to stop by and take a look.

Jeff was there and I spoke to him briefly.  They have one more plant sale at the end of July to clear everything out.

There is a retirement sale sign out by the street.

IMG_20210709_135236.jpg.778df65af9b3c150d598dd19bb5f70b7.jpg

I picked up a few more plants.

Two Calyptrocalyx awa that I need to find some shady spots for.

IMG_20210710_185519.jpg.34f6ffec92401ae4027980b82f74c277.jpg

and I found a Brownea Grandiceps in a pot but the roots have escaped the pots into the ground but we pulled it loose.

IMG_20210710_185524.jpg.6fe07df6daeaa8c5829a7cb5bd9bf6f1.jpg

Two days later I received in the mail the flyer for the last plant sale.

IMG_20210710_224857.jpg.a16bf24f15ffa116f15c6f48b47ff44f.jpg

Edited by miamicuse
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@miamicuse Thanks for the update.  I'm going to put this on the site calendar.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

• 2 weeks later...

OK this weekend is the final sale.  I got there early at 8am when they opened, a big crowd there, the wagons are all taken by early arrivals so it's hard to get the plants you want with only two hands LOL.  Many of the plants are priced to go fast.  Very well attended event.

Here are some pictures.  The palms in the ground are for sale, see the pictures and prices.  I think you have to get it out though...The Alfredii is available for $1000 (last two pictures) if you have enough will and might go for it!

IMG_20210723_094440.jpg.1e65471a204d3441fd5e1e198fc1750c.jpg

IMG_20210723_094408.jpg.4fba4b8bfd45879571bb38115e358d2b.jpg

IMG_20210723_094403.jpg.ad1222ab8279375d8ca3c6ccd8e9c857.jpg

IMG_20210723_094354.jpg.0dd0a5fd2a1e2fa4075a1fbe61082bee.jpg

IMG_20210723_094349.jpg.4d7b8a8b1e8597149b592a0f4f05b016.jpg

IMG_20210723_094142.jpg.7805b26d4f336d76406fe101bcaeff16.jpg

IMG_20210723_092721.jpg.2646f3eb1116935e371f38a907766c5f.jpg

IMG_20210723_080754.jpg.c578445742ead6cf455fd84597e029fd.jpg

IMG_20210723_080744.jpg.87b711f4f0f895c86ea926b17fb7efc2.jpg

I got a bunch of plants, just unloaded in my back yard, will head back in the afternoon for more.

• Like 5

They sold the place to another grower, who grows only bromeliads, and is a wholesaler not open to the public.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I attended my first and last Searle sale this morning.  Interesting place. I've been gawking at it for the past upteen years on this forum and I just happened to be in town.  

Big crowd early in the morning where they were slowing traffic down out front along the highway!  

Prices to sale and the selection is getting slim.  Ridiculously low priced rare palms.   Picked up a couple palms.  Glad I went but would have liked to see it in it's fully stocked hey-day.  

• Like 4

I strolled in late morning, for a final look around.  People were carting off tons of palms and plants, and clearly I was late to the party.  I scooped up two more Pseudophoenix for $10 each.  I just couldn’t resist. 

8F8B8FD8-5DB3-483C-A644-B23E5A73CD36.thumb.jpeg.47c7c94797ceaac88699306b307a7f3e.jpeg

• Like 4

Made the trip down, ran into @waykoolplantz while I was there, and picked up these three (Latania loddigesii, Dictyosperma album 'conjugatum', Ptychosperma macarthurii) for a very low price:

20210723_141439_Searle_1200.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

It is brutally hot today, I got a dozen plants.  I was mostly looking for crotons but they don't have much crotons.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, miamicuse said:

It is brutally hot today, I got a dozen plants.  I was mostly looking for crotons but they don't have much crotons.

You're not kidding.  I was sweating just standing in line to check out.  Last night, it didn't go below 90F here until ~9pm.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

All the big palms in ground would need root pruning.  I doubt he has that time to let sit.  Will be sad to see those go down. 

Edited by PJP
  • Like 1

Hi everyone!! First and foremost I want to thank you all for the very best comments.  Then I want to thank you all for coming out today and supporting us. It was extremely hot, but us Floridians are a tough breed. In forty years of business, doing various  palm sales around the state and holding 21 years of Extravaganza Sales, and twice a year.

We are selling everything planted in the ground. And have sold a few palms that have already gone to good homes. 

I would also like to mention, even though we are "retiring" and have sold the land, my passion for collecting, educating and growing will continue.  And I can honestly say, in all my years, I can't remember ever once not wanting to go to work. Even on mondays! I have already started setting up my new, much smaller (Lol) nursery at the house. So soon I will have lots of great palms, my croton collection, lots of aroids and some flowering trees. 

So please feel free to contact me and i hope to have something for you.  Thanks again,  from all the Searles. It's been a great run!!!

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Headed over in the morning, hopefully something left to buy? Lol

looking forward to seeing Jeff’s smaller nursery and his collection at the house!

• Like 1

Hello,

I would have loved to pay that nursery a visit one day even if I could have never 

been able to take anything home!

Whatever, I got a lot of inspiration from @Palmarum (Ryan)'s sale reports which I enjoyed

very much!!

While reading those reports and looking at the images I usually had another browser

window opened with online seed traders and I placed my orders on spot. (Currently

I am growing an "army" of Verschaffeltia splendida - a beautiful species I probably

would have never came across on my own...) 

To keep it short - @Jeff Searle, all the best for your retirement and all the best for

your crew! I will never forget and I am still feeling honored that you were the first one

who commented my very first post here on palmtalk when I announced the germination

of one of my Pigafetta elata seeds... Thank you very much again! 

So, I am very glad to hear that you are going to stay in the nursery business and I 

would be glad to read about it from time to time here on palmtalk!

With best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Upvote 1

We drove over to opening day, left the house at just past 5 a.m., got home about 12:30 p.m. Got as many palms as we could fit in the back of our Subaru CrossTrek. Great deals and I'm trying some stuff that is marginal here. Example: 3' L. hoehnei for $10 or $15? Can't quite remember. Several Areca spp, a dark green pinnate "mystery" palm I plan to post here. Had a blast and didn't blow up the budget.

Jeff, I saw you but didn't get a chance to say, "Hi." But I want to thank you and your family for all the good times and great palms. Have a leisurely palm-filled retirement (if that's your wish). I hope you continue to check in on the forum to share you knowledge and give sage advice.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.