Tracy

What do ripe Burretiokentia hapala fruit look like?

Tracy

I have a couple of Burretiokentia hapala that have been putting out inflorescence for a few years.  They have flowered but not produced any real fruit or seeds.  This inflorescence however has produced some larger fruit this time.  They appear almost acorn shaped while still attached to the inflorescence.  Hence my question as to what do ripe fruit look like for this species?

20210607-BH3I4221.jpg

• Upvote 1

Palm Tree Jim

Maybe Len will chime in on this.

• Like 1

sgvcns

Ripe seeds are a light purple

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

quaman58

Tracy, my guess is purple as Steve says. B. Dumasii has purple fruits as well.. looks great!

• Like 2

joe_OC

Definitely purple fruit.  Very odd shaped seeds.  Some split into two.  BTW - rats LOVE the berries.  

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I purchased both of the palms pictured below as Burretiokentia hapala but have noticed a difference in growth between the two as well as a couple of subtle differences.  The taller one has been more tolerant of direct sun over the years than the shorter one, although they are both about the same age.  The other interesting detail is that my shorter one that is more sun sensitive, has very prominant ligule flaps after the petiole emerges from the crownshaft when compared to my shorter one.  I often thought that they would start looking more similar over time relative to their ligule flaps, but they haven't.  Do your Burretiokentia's have the more subtle flaps like in the first two photos or the more prominent ones like on the palm in the second two photos?

• Teegurr
    • Tracy
      By Tracy
      Tooty fruity fallin' in my garden.  Dypsis onilahensis hybrid and last photo of a Dypsis heteromorpha.  I have no idea if any of these are viable seeds.  What is fruiting in your garden right now?

• SEVA
      By SEVA
      Does anyone know what these are? They were found washed up on the beach. There are 2 fruits and one with the fruit removed, revealing the seed. The fruit was sticky and almost web-like.

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      Medusa... Dare I to look upon her without turning to stone?