IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Adonidia Palm

ssmith

Hello,

I recently (3 weeks ago) purchased a 3 stalk Adonidia Palm which is approx 9 feet tall from a green house  I am located in Southern Ontario, Canada.  

I removed the palm from its grower pot and put it into a new larger pot and added soil.  I realised the soil i ended up using may not be the best for it (Triple Mix & Black Earth).  Since the transplant, the frond tips have been a little droopy, getting spots and going brown.  The tree has new stocks coming up and opening, all look perfectly green and healthy.  I have been watering (not over watering) to help the reduce any shock, as suggested on the forum.  Otherwise the palm appears to be doing ok and has not actually lost any fronds as of yet.

I am wondering if the Palm just went through a transplant shock and that is the reason for the change.

My other questions is in regards to soil,  should i change out the soil to proper palm mix?  will the have any effects on the palm given i transplanted it 3 weeks ago?

Come fall, the palm will be moved either indoors (Large office space with plenty of light) or into a friends greenhouse.

Hello and Welcome :), What your describing is yes the tree is letting you know it is in shock and sulking. Regarding soil, NEVER use black earth in a pot. It is too heavy and will hold water and doesn't drain well. Palms like fast draining soil, there roots moist not wet. I have my Windmill and Christmas Palms in regular potting soil with added perlite A LOT actually, and they are doing fine, Change the soil and make sure it is a fast draining mix. Everyone on here who responds will tell you what kind of soil works best for them, I have had palms soil that had Tree Bark, Perlite and I know people who used Orchid mixed in as well. These Palms are not to fussy about there soil as long as it drains FAST!!! , To show you here is a pic of Christmas Palm seedlings that are for sale and are eight months old in regular soil with added Perlite .

Good Luck

n.JPG

n1.JPG

n4.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for you reply Palmlover.

Changing out the soil, will this cause any further shock to the Palm?  Should i do it right away or give it some time given it has only been 3 weeks since I transplanted.  Please note, i did not touch the root ball at all.  I just pull the original container off and sat it in its new pot and filled.

On 6/9/2021 at 8:53 AM, ssmith said:

Hello,

I recently (3 weeks ago) purchased a 3 stalk Adonidia Palm which is approx 9 feet tall from a green house  I am located in Southern Ontario, Canada.  

I removed the palm from its grower pot and put it into a new larger pot and added soil.  I realised the soil i ended up using may not be the best for it (Triple Mix & Black Earth).  Since the transplant, the frond tips have been a little droopy, getting spots and going brown.  The tree has new stocks coming up and opening, all look perfectly green and healthy.  I have been watering (not over watering) to help the reduce any shock, as suggested on the forum.  Otherwise the palm appears to be doing ok and has not actually lost any fronds as of yet.

I am wondering if the Palm just went through a transplant shock and that is the reason for the change.

My other questions is in regards to soil,  should i change out the soil to proper palm mix?  will the have any effects on the palm given i transplanted it 3 weeks ago?

Come fall, the palm will be moved either indoors (Large office space with plenty of light) or into a friends greenhouse.

Picures would help.

Yes, photos please.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Funny, I just purchased a triple Adonidia the other day.

As said above, these palms need excellent draining soil, they can be very intolerant of neglectful waterings, BUT they also resent not being able to dry SLIGHTLY between waterings.

I use an extremely generous portion of orchid bark, coarse sand and perlite to the mix. Also, don't over plant them,  palms like be slightly snug.. 

P.S., Your overwintering plans sound nice!

Hope those photos work.  As mentioned. new stalk are opening and no apparent browning or drooping

I really don't see anything wrong with those palms.  That Browning on the fronds might just be some sunburn.  You did mention that you bought them from a greenhouse.

Yes, could be sunburn. Gradually introduce them to the sun. Are you aware that you have 3 individual palms in your pot? Adonidias are solitary palms so will compete with one another in pots.

Meg

Florida

no I was not aware of that.  are they easy to separate?

the root ball was quite intertwined when I put it into the new pot.

Probably too risky to try. I don't want you to risk root damage as they are all large and costly palms. Just be aware that they are separate entities. I also suggest you do some research into this species and palms in general. Growing tropical palms in Canada is a challenge but some people on PT are pulling it off and have provided valuable info. Basically, palms are not trees although most people think they are. They aren't true woody plants. Two concepts about tropical palms like Adonidias and coconuts are cold sensitivity, i.e. occasional exposure to temperatures low enough to cause damage or death, and cool sensitivity - long term exposure to temps above freezing but under 15C. Adonidias need very warm temps to live any length of time, preferably above 25-30C+ during the day and 20C+ at night along with high humidity.

Meg

Florida

On 6/10/2021 at 2:10 PM, ssmith said:

Thanks for you reply Palmlover.

Changing out the soil, will this cause any further shock to the Palm?  Should i do it right away or give it some time given it has only been 3 weeks since I transplanted.  Please note, i did not touch the root ball at all.  I just pull the original container off and sat it in its new pot and filled.

These guys aren't your everyday frost tender annuals that you buy at a store in groups of 4 plants in a small pot and rip apart lol I have heard of people cutting off the smaller two and keep the biggest but not for me, Unfortunately where we live these Palms really should be grown indoors year round, and as for potting it again that is up to you, personally I would but remember the more you stress it, keep it in the shade for a bit if you do decide to repot but remember the more it will become more vulnerable to pests and diseases. If you want a fantastic bullet proof palm to grow in our area WINDMILL PALM :D there tolerance for cold is legendary I have one on my Patio and he is doing excellent.

pl.JPG

pl1.JPG

Edited by Palmlover_78

35 minutes ago, Palmlover_78 said:

These guys aren't your everyday frost tender annuals that you buy at a store in groups of 4 plants in a small pot and rip apart lol I have heard of people cutting off the smaller two and keep the biggest but not for me, Unfortunately where we live these Palms really should be grown indoors year round, and as for potting it again that is up to you, personally I would but remember the more you stress it, keep it in the shade for a bit if you do decide to repot but remember the more it will become more vulnerable to pests and diseases. If you want a fantastic bullet proof palm to grow in our area WINDMILL PALM :D there tolerance for cold is legendary I have one on my Patio and he is doing excellent.

pl.JPG

pl1.JPG

Your windmill is lovely

• Like 2

Meg

Florida

1 minute ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Your windmill is lovely

Thank You @PalmatierMeg I love it, I heard that a Pygmy can tolerate the cooler climate a lot better then a Christmas Palm. I might get one next year :D