IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Needle palms

Cuckoo4palms

Great palms!
:D
You really don't like weeding, eh? How is it working for you?! 

• Like 1

Nice, healthy looking Needles...best cold hardy palm out there. Is that a south facing location?

• Like 1

Very nice!

Good drainage? Others who know better can confirm or refute, but I  believe winter drainage is important in the northern parts of its range.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/9/2021 at 10:54 AM, Manalto said:

Very nice!

Good drainage? Others who know better can confirm or refute, but I  believe winter drainage is important in the northern parts of its range.

My oldest needle was planted in 2003. My needle palms are in a raised bed, but are in partial shade. This was mostly done because even if the soil is amended, a "flat" planting might still have the bathtub effect due to the heavy clay soil outside the amended area. Also, I thought that better drainage would help keep the soil from freezing into a block of ice that would take days to thaw. In our common winter warm ups, the roots would be frozen, and warmer sunny weather could desiccate the palm. That was my fear, I'm sure others in zone 6 and above can also weigh in.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/10/2021 at 8:47 PM, Cuckoo4palms said:

Not really. Deep, till-plain Brookston soil here.

Had to look Brookstone soil up…guess drainage is not that great but mine is in a wet, sunny site till summer drought…it’s doing great though my zone 7 may be helping it along for sure…Still the most reliably cold hardy palm out there!

8 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Had to look Brookstone soil up…guess drainage is not that great but mine is in a wet, sunny site till summer drought…it’s doing great though my zone 7 may be helping it along for sure…Still the most reliably cold hardy palm out there!

Sorry if I already asked in another thread, but can you share latest pictures?

Zone 6b maritime climate

14 hours ago, Leelanau Palms said:

Sorry if I already asked in another thread, but can you share latest pictures?

Sure…here you go…these are a few months old…I’ll send some current pics tomorrow…

This one is sunny and gets runoff from the embankment. In ground 2014…usually kind of wet in this part of the yard…solid clay…

IMG_0157.thumb.jpeg.dd47c6441a4d6ef5b05b09915e671336.jpeg

Trunk shot…there are several other trunks as well…that’s a 16oz can…

IMG_0167.thumb.jpeg.054ea05270261ee1c14475c66f2b738d.jpeg

This one is shady and dry under a holly tree…l think in ground in 2016. 1/3 the size of the sunny one but little to no weather damage…ever:

IMG_0160.thumb.jpeg.4cb3d7aa9db729e55cb0e63b833ac510.jpeg

In my zone 7, no protection ever…really good cold hardy palms.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the pictures. Very nice healthy needles. Ever have a spear pull? Do you fertilize or provide irrigation for either?

Zone 6b maritime climate

7 hours ago, Leelanau Palms said:

Thanks for the pictures. Very nice healthy needles. Ever have a spear pull? Do you fertilize or provide irrigation for either?

Can’t get my current pics to load but to answer your questions…I do feed them 2-3 times a summer with Palm Gain…I do water the shady one when it gets really dry. The sunny one only gets water when we head into a drought situation and the ground starts to crack…otherwise, rain and runoff handle it. I don’t recall any spear pull on either, ever. They really do get through our zone 7 winters with no problems. I also do hit both with a copper based anti fungal spray several times in the winter, mainly when there’s been a lot of freezing and thawing , just as a precaution…never noticed anything growing. 

On 1/13/2024 at 5:41 AM, Leelanau Palms said:

Sorry if I already asked in another thread, but can you share latest 

Than you for the details and insights!

Zone 6b maritime climate

On 1/14/2024 at 1:56 PM, GregVirginia7 said:

Can’t get my current pics to load but to answer your questions…I do feed them 2-3 times a summer with Palm Gain…I do water the shady one when it gets really dry. The sunny one only gets water when we head into a drought situation and the ground starts to crack…otherwise, rain and runoff handle it. I don’t recall any spear pull on either, ever. They really do get through our zone 7 winters with no problems. I also do hit both with a copper based anti fungal spray several times in the winter, mainly when there’s been a lot of freezing and thawing , just as a precaution…never noticed anything growing. 

So here are the most recent pics of the sunny and shady needles:

IMG_1204.thumb.jpeg.173e24189c47bd830b93b4364104c128.jpeg

The sunny, wetter one is almost 6’ tall with several large trunks. The Basjoo in the foreground (trunks) this will have to be moved…way too crowded now.

IMG_1206.thumb.jpeg.dc58d4e13654f121fda58ba09bfe96c5.jpeg

Shady, dry guy…perfectly happy here.

IMG_1209.thumb.jpeg.41f46f2dfb3b2ff8463074b99ff605c3.jpeg

Getting about 4” of snow by morning with temperatures in the upper teens and 20’s at night this week so here we go for winter…
IMG_1208.thumb.jpeg.05dbe7115f655029515ef712fc433bcd.jpeg

The Needle and the Brazoria will get flattened by morning and will spring right back up when things thaw…

IMG_1207.thumb.jpeg.8bc7795a6e7253b997726c7a6e873f09.jpeg

The old Trachy? Not too concerned about the crown or spears this week, so will hold off on the burlap insulation and pipe insulation spear protection…I guess. This winter has been much better than last year at acclimating the palms into the winter with lots of freezing nights, though December was pretty warm, mildly freezing temps did creep in.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Beautiful palms. Tough palms. Good luck with this cold snap. 

Zone 6b maritime climate

I used to say that about my needle palm I planted a few years back but did not make it thru the frigid winters of late! Lost a 35 year old windmill much taller than yours, too. Funny, I even copied your Xmas lite wrap, left it on the dead one as a memorial year around. 

Thinking about growing a flowering vine to grow up dead trunk! Funny, most people who visit don't even notice it and it is right by my front door! 

Another needle palm across the street I also planted 30 yrs ago made it through all winters uncovered but it is 10' x 10' so kinda impractical.

I luv the needles and the one that died was cheap 2 gal I bizarrely found @ Lowes one season.

Amazing hardiness like Sabals!

Another cold spell this weekend, stay warm y'all 🤪

• Like 1