IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can you identify weed in my garden?

NewB_NewB

We made cactus garden couple months ago, and now we have so many weed in there.

When we made the garden, we installed landscape fabric on soil, and we covered pebble on top of the fabric.

Now, we got to think that we had to use nursery grade fabric, not from home depot. 

Anyhow...now we need to remove the weeds.

I watched couple of YouTube video regarding killing weeds, and I got to know that I need to identify variety of weed first.

Please let me know what kind of weed we have in our garden.

If you know the best method to kill those weeds, please share with me.

Thank you. 

IMG_6329.JPG

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6328.JPG

IMG_6339.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG

Edited by NewB_NewB

4 minutes ago, NewB_NewB said:

We made cactus garden couple months ago, and now we have so many weed in there.

When we made the garden, we installed landscape fabric on soil, and we covered pebble on top of the fabric.

Now, we got to think that we had to use nursery grade fabric, not from home depot. 

Anyhow...now we need to remove the weeds.

I watched couple of YouTube video regarding killing weeds, and I got to know that I need to identify variety of weed first.

Please let me know what kind of weed we have in our garden.

If you know the best method to kill those weeds, please share with me.

Thank you. 

IMG_6329.JPG

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6328.JPG

IMG_6339.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG

First picture is Nutsedge.  Pictures 2- 5 are Bermuda ..Possibly two types.  Regardless, both are next to impossible to fully eradicate w/ out removing at least 12-15" of soil - have learned this the hard way myself... Have both in some beds here and nothing fully kills either of these. Roundup? ..other Herbicides?  These laugh it it. Might kill the tops temporarily but with both you have to dig out every piece ( Nutsedge will form runners and small rock-like tubers ) out to really eliminate it. Have also tried boiling water / smothering w/ rock salt on graveled areas out back that are free of plants.. Kills the tops, but returns with a vengeance within 10 days..

Bermuda can grow runners/ Stolons up to 2' deep in the soil. Trust me, lol.. i've come to the point of just periodically going out front and digging out what i can to keep it under control. One thing i've noticed that does work.. at least to some degree? letting the beds dry out as much as possible and starving the Bermuda, and that takes time. 

Easier in the parts of the yard where  i only have Cacti which can go several months w/ out water. Not so easy to do where there are other things that need a bit more water, even though they too are very drought tolerant.

The other thing about using any  Herbicide.. it can damage cacti,  no matter what someone at the big box stores, average nurseries/ nursery people will tell you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We have both Nutsedge and Bermuda grass here.  Like @Silas_Sancona said it's almost impossible to get rid of them.  I spray herbicide on the nutsedge and it laughs and me.  I reply back and tell the nutsedge (it wasn't a joke).  I don't even bother with herbicide on them.  When it's wet like after a rain or when I water I just get on my hands and knees and pull them out by hand.  Which is getting a little harder as I get older.  Good luck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

We have both Nutsedge and Bermuda grass here.  Like @Silas_Sancona said it's almost impossible to get rid of them.  I spray herbicide on the nutsedge and it laughs and me.  I reply back and tell the nutsedge (it wasn't a joke).  I don't even bother with herbicide on them.  When it's wet like after a rain or when I water I just get on my hands and knees and pull them out by hand.  Which is getting a little harder as I get older.  Good luck.

Yep.. and a good example of what a nightmare Bermuda is.. The rental i'm in currently sat vacant for a little over a year between the last people to rent and when i got here. Front yard was dirt and cat poop, w/ patches of half dead Bermuda here and there. Most of it, in the center of the yard at least, was dried up n' dead when i landscaped. Two areas, closer to the house, where it looked like it had died out came back as soon as i started applying water. That's after removing everything i came across, down several inches into the soil,  sifting as much of the pieces left over out of the soil as i could, and creating the 1' high mounds out there. 

• Like 1

Thank you for getting me back.

I googled it, and I found 2 videos which suggest to use certain chemical.

Did you use those too?

Nutsedge:  Ortho nutsedge killer

Burmuda: Ornamec

37 minutes ago, NewB_NewB said:

Thank you for getting me back.

I googled it, and I found 2 videos which suggest to use certain chemical.

Did you use those too?

Nutsedge:  Ortho nutsedge killer

Burmuda: Ornamec

Not here, but have tried Ortho for nut sedge in the past. Didn't completely knock it out long -term.  As mentioned, wouldn't risk using any chemicals near Cacti / majority of other Succulent- type plants.. Much higher chance they will suffer damage more easily than plants that form woody tissue.  Hand removal, as best as possible, is the only sure way to control / fully eradicate.

• Like 2

Sedgehammer was my go-to herbicide. $$$$ (You may have to take out a second mortgage on your house.) Bermuda? Three applications of 2% Roundup (2 oz per gallon) usually kills it/him/her/them dead.

Edited by Gonzer
  • Like 2