IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia catarinensis seed germination

GregVirginia7

They’re here...they appear to be the right shape and size and they were nice and clean...

image.thumb.jpg.ee41e7744fe3df2321a7da85804e814a.jpgFloat test had all but one sink so I guess one floater out of 14 isn’t bad...now the reading starts...any experienced tips welcome!

• Like 1

Ok...here I go...chose the baggie method...soaked the seeds for 24-hours in 80-90 F outdoor temps. Scored the seeds slightly this evening. Pulled a handful of dry spagnum and soaked it in clean water with about a teaspoon of bleach...let it soak for a while the rung it out and rinsed it with clean water...laid the moss out and sprinkled just a bit of Epsom salts and mixed them in good...not sure why though but it seemed healthy then gave the moss several sprays of copper fungicide...worked it all in real good made a nest of the moist spanum, just moist, not wet and stuffed it in the bag. Made a hole for each seed (14) and gave the inside sides of the bag a hit of fungicide...then sealed it up tightly. It’s on a shelf outside that will remain bright but shaded. Temperatures will be our Virginia summer temps. The seeds seemed really good so we’ll see what happens!image.thumb.jpg.e072e4818a97de9ddc77a4d47eae84ca.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.8ccf6eb1223d8a2ace0fac27d8373a60.jpgQuestion: Should there be one or two tiny holes in the top of the bag or should it just remain tightly sealed? Probably tightly sealed since a lot of respiration isn’t going on and it would just allow for a fungus invasion...

• 4 months later...
On 6/8/2021 at 4:30 PM, GregVirginia7 said:

Ok...here I go...chose the baggie method...soaked the seeds for 24-hours in 80-90 F outdoor temps. Scored the seeds slightly this evening. 

How did it go?

3 hours ago, Manalto said:

How did it go?

Thank you for asking... I grew loads of mold so I moved them to a pot of well draining soil and covered them with a thin layer of small gravel...then the squirrels decided to plant all of them in their own secret spots :D...Lesson learned. Germinating palm seed is a science. I think I’ll stick to germinating Sabal minor seeds if I want to try again since I’ve succeeded at that...They’re much easier. Maybe by some miracle I’ll spot one popping up somewhere and give all the credit to the varmints.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Germinating palm seed is a science.

I concur. Despite the fact that it's the standard method of germination for many others, I stay away from the plastic-bag method here in the Land of Mold. My experience is limited with palm seeds; the only ones I've had some success with so far are Sabal minor, Chamaedorea radicalis and Medjool date. My method for S. minor couldn't be simpler but, hey, it works. I have an established population of "naturalized" plants. When the fruiting branch (is it still called the inflorescence at this point?) on one of them is ripe, I cut it off and toss it where I'd like some new plants. So far, so good. The Chamaedorea and date seeds were put in potting soil and left outdoors in the summer,  and kept moist. I'm really looking forward to having a small grove of C. radicalis; they're so elegant. The date seems stalled; it's a couple of years old but less than a foot tall.

I hope you're surprised by a B. catarinensis seedling (or several) in the spring! (and exactly where you want them)

Edited by Manalto