IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pseudophoenix sargentii at Lowe’s

NickJames

Ormond Beach Lowe’s has a few for $129 I think. They looked like 15g containers. I’ve never seen them here before. They looked great. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Did you get any pics of them? Jealous, I’m tired of seeing washingtonias and queens here in Arizona at the local box stores.

• Upvote 1

That’s a good price for a 15 gallon. PS is one of those palms that is worth spending a bit more money for to get a bigger plant. It is quite slow and would take many years to get to the 15 gallon size. Even after planting it will be slow unless you get the Navasanna. (SP?) Mine is easily 15 years in the ground and is only about 3’ of trunk.

• Like 3

Never seen them here. Worth buying.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

That's a bargain, so many years in the making.  To grow these for profit is a fools game lol.

• Like 3

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

7 hours ago, redant said:

That's a bargain, so many years in the making.  To grow these for profit is a fools game lol.

So true! It's just a labor of love. I actually DID grow a batch of these here in Arizona from seed to 3/5 gallon size. After 12/15 years of growing,repotting,watering,fertilizing,skipping summer travel,the plants sold in the $80 - $100 range. Looking back,it hardly seems worth it.

I started out growing them from seed for myself and my own gardens,but ended up buying more mature examples from Florida,after discovering how SLOW young Pseudophoenix actually grow.:unsure:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

20 hours ago, NickJames said:

Ormond Beach Lowe’s has a few for $129 I think. They looked like 15g containers. I’ve never seen them here before. They looked great. 

Nice. I'm driving down to New Smyrna Beach tomorrow to pick up some solar panels... looks like I'll have to stop at Lowes while I'm down there.

Edited by floridaPalmMan

Is this the first @NickJames post about a cool palm without pics of a palm loaded in the back of his truck?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, NickJames said:

Scream obscenities and buy a couple 

@bubba showed me some nice ones in palm beach when I visited years ago

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

15 hours ago, aztropic said:

So true! It's just a labor of love. I actually DID grow a batch of these here in Arizona from seed to 3/5 gallon size. After 12/15 years of growing,repotting,watering,fertilizing,skipping summer travel,the plants sold in the $80 - $100 range. Looking back,it hardly seems worth it.

I started out growing them from seed for myself and my own gardens,but ended up buying more mature examples from Florida,after discovering how SLOW young Pseudophoenix actually grow.:unsure:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I got a bunch of free seeds many years ago and have several n ow in the ground from them. Painfully slow to get them to the in the ground point.

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

16 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Is this the first @NickJames post about a cool palm without pics of a palm loaded in the back of his truck?

Yes. And his membership shall be reviewed summarily. Completely unacceptable!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Like @redant said, painfully slow. The single Pseudo was germinated about a year ago and has looked the same for 6 months. The Carpoxylons were ungerminated seeds 2 months ago.

9B8074D9-FB70-41CA-8ACA-ED975369ECDC.jpeg

• Like 1

Sorry folks I’ve been so slammed ha ha!! I will try to get photos today. 

I may be going to my pine island lot this weekend so who knows - may pick one up for there ;) 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, NickJames said:

Sorry folks I’ve been so slammed ha ha!! I will try to get photos today. 

I took a few pics when I was there yesterday.

There's still one or two left, but they're in 27.5 gallons and $219.00 :( They wouldn't fit in my van with the solar panels.

20210607_165114.thumb.jpg.32b01a3dae7e8d962193389bdb2396c2.jpg

20210607_165124.thumb.jpg.16475050a3a0f4bacfaca7c4a4fc4029.jpg

20210607_165132.thumb.jpg.667133ecc2897fc96270e32f28b12daa.jpg

20210607_165120.thumb.jpg.efe04301f3c5e618a6e26e323d791dc3.jpg

• Upvote 1

@NickJames Also, what's with all the dead/dying bismarkia's & phoenix palms on I95 heading south near the Port Orange exit?

Is that what lethal yellowing looks like?

@NickJames, as I recall you have soggy soil in some places, these want good drainage and plenty of sand in the soil.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

7 hours ago, floridaPalmMan said:

@NickJames Also, what's with all the dead/dying bismarkia's & phoenix palms on I95 heading south near the Port Orange exit?

Is that what lethal yellowing looks like?

Those palms were installed the beginning of May. They don’t have irrigation and we have had little to no rain for last 5 weeks. That’s what’s going on with them. 

1 hour ago, Reeverse said:

Those palms were installed the beginning of May. They don’t have irrigation and we have had little to no rain for last 5 weeks. That’s what’s going on with them. 

:crying:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

16 hours ago, Reeverse said:

yep until 10 days ago I was hand watering like a fool and getting almost nowhere as the dry winds were dessicating almost as fast as I could add water.  A few palms seemed to not be stressed, at least visibly:  Mature beccariophoenix alfredii, bismarckia(in the ground 10+ yrs), borassus Ae, were barely effected.  All my other palms showed drought stress from the dry spring conditions, dropping more leaves(2x?) than usual.  I won't plant out in spring anymore, I wait for the rains and they have now relieved the stress after (3) "standing water downpours" in the last week and a half.  The humidity is now consistent with the wet season here, the palms love it.  Planting out a big trunking bizzie (with small rootball) before the wet season comes in an irrigated spot is a big risk here.  But now things are soaking up the rains.  Sandy soil causes additional stress in the dry season here, its hard to understand it till it hits your palms.

• Like 2

Tom Blank

Just starting our annual stress of each year...:wacko:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210608_185723689_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

yeah I remember the super dry 110F plus days.  Very different problem, I never had a problem keeping roots moist in clay soil with granite rock topping, but the transpiration through leaves was massive at low RH (6-15%).   Only arizona gardeners will understand the severity of the pre monsoon season there.  And then the humidity comes and goes some even in monsoon season.  

• Like 1

Tom Blank

On 6/6/2021 at 4:34 PM, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

So these aren't rockets?  LOL!  Maybe my benefactors can see it trunk...

IMG_20210607_160958_hdr.jpg

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

Only 15 more years and your investment will really pay off... trust me...:innocent: :lol2:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

10 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Only 15 more years and your investment will really pay off... trust me...:innocent: :lol2:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Oh good, I'll need to supplement social security!  :P

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

On 6/8/2021 at 10:27 AM, floridaPalmMan said:

I took a few pics when I was there yesterday.

There's still one or two left, but they're in 27.5 gallons and $219.00 :( They wouldn't fit in my van with the solar panels.

20210607_165114.thumb.jpg.32b01a3dae7e8d962193389bdb2396c2.jpg

20210607_165124.thumb.jpg.16475050a3a0f4bacfaca7c4a4fc4029.jpg

20210607_165132.thumb.jpg.667133ecc2897fc96270e32f28b12daa.jpg

20210607_165120.thumb.jpg.efe04301f3c5e618a6e26e323d791dc3.jpg

Oops. I see you beat my to it!

Also I was off on price and size! LOL!

37BE1CEC-E29E-491B-873F-45057C835F9A.jpeg

997DF1CB-13A3-48A5-84DC-7B8802CAF464.jpeg

8784A686-37F8-40BD-9965-59EB28289376.jpeg

• Like 3

On 6/8/2021 at 5:39 PM, Reeverse said:

They should be getting visits from a water truck. Have you seen it? If not, I can check with maintenance or the project manager. 

The landscaping vendor will be required to replace them at their cost if they die. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NickJames said:

They should be getting visits from a water truck. Have you seen it? If not, I can check with maintenance or the project manager. 

The landscaping vendor will be required to replace them at their cost if they die. 

I have seen a water truck parked but I don’t think it can keep up with the demand. I know how the DOT works, just surprised they let it go. It’s a company out of Gainesville. I think all but 2 of the 12 Bismarck’s are toast. Even the regenerated Sabals are starting to die. If you can help it would be awesome! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reeverse said:

I have seen a water truck parked but I don’t think it can keep up with the demand. I know how the DOT works, just surprised they let it go. It’s a company out of Gainesville. I think all but 2 of the 12 Bismarck’s are toast. Even the regenerated Sabals are starting to die. If you can help it would be awesome! 

The vendor provides the water truck. FDOT basically doesn’t have to do anything for 2 years. The vendor warranties the materials so quite frankly its in their best interest to keep it alive. With all the Bismarckia needing replaced, their profit is dwindling. 

Some landscaping projects will drill a well for irrigation. We just planted some Phoenix species in Mt. Dora on one of my projects and a well was drilled for automated irrigation there. 

• 1 month later...

I went to the Lowes in Rockledge Fl this past weekend to get some banana plants and apparently at least one of those 27.5 gallon Bucs was sent here. I didn't buy it and was kind of regretting it so my wife surprised me today and picked it up.

FC16C1AB-FD7D-4A56-949A-4781B281EE84.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1