IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Volunteer Palms In The Right Place

howfam

Hey Palmtalkers: I'm a native Floridian and whenever I'm out enjoying nature, I'm always amazed when I see our native Sabal Palms that "volunteered" in just the right places . By this I mean they grow (without being planted) in a spot where you would normally plant them, just the right spot.  I'm sure others can relate to this in other places with native palms. Please post your pic of volunteer palms in just the right places. Take a look at these Sabal palms at a local Jacksonville, Fl gas station, growing wild on the edge of the property in just the right place. What a gift from nature.

20210605_184307.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I was out driving today and saw more volunteers (Sabal palmetto), which no one planted beautifying the landscape here in Jacksonville, Florida, ideally located.

20210606_200545.jpg

20210606_132549.jpg

• Like 3

Sabal palmetto palms at Jacksonville Fl. Gas station exit. Seems gas stations have a lot of luck with free palms.

20210607_172242.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Another Jacksonville native Sabal Palmetto in just the right spot on the street right of way.

20210722_170444.jpg

• Like 2

I recall seeing a Sabal at the corner of Cassat and Park on the Westside that was sawed off about six inches from the ground that was pushing growth from the center of the stump.

They’re pretty tough!

9 hours ago, GatoCapa said:

I recall seeing a Sabal at the corner of Cassat and Park on the Westside that was sawed off about six inches from the ground that was pushing growth from the center of the stump.

They’re pretty tough!

Yes. I've had that happen three times, where I've had Sabals cut down to the ground only to have them sprout new growth from the center of the stump.  Talk about resilient!!!

I wonder if any other palms have that ability.?

On 7/24/2021 at 7:49 PM, howfam said:

Yes. I've had that happen three times, where I've had Sabals cut down to the ground only to have them sprout new growth from the center of the stump.  Talk about resilient!!!

I wonder if any other palms have that ability.?

Washingtonias and Canary Island date palms do this all over my neighborhood. Here are some Canary Island date palms that planted themselves from a nearby tree and got the axe right on the corner by my house

20210727_154800.jpg

20210727_154845.jpg

20210727_154907.jpg

• Like 1

I love this topic!  I have several around the property.  I’m in  my pool and took this a few minutes ago in Scottsdale.   The Palm on the left is a volunteer I left and it was tiny about 8 moths ago. It has a drip so that might explain its fast growth rate.  

FFA4AE7B-85A7-4DC4-9DEE-98705186919D.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 10:49 PM, wrigjef said:

Lights just came on! 

That's a beautiful W. robusta that you didn't have to buy. A gift from nature. And right where you would normally plant one.

Here's another nice volunteer Sabal palmetto right in the corner of a fence at a local former school here in Jacksonville. A good location for visibility.

20210807_104153.jpg

On 7/24/2021 at 12:46 PM, GatoCapa said:

They’re pretty tough!

Here's a Sabal at an apartment building that was cut off to the ground about 15 years ago and has come back bigger than before. Awesome!

20210731_192729.jpg

18 hours ago, howfam said:

That's a beautiful W. robusta that you didn't have to buy. A gift from nature. And right where you would normally plant one.

I’m not a big fan of Washies as they are invasive in Phoenix and a mess however there is something about it naturally popping up in the perfect spot.  Rather than pull it out I put a drip on it and it’s exploding.  Our amazing Monsoon this year is helping as well.  It’s put on 4 new Fronds in 3 weeks!  It’s clearly taller and thicker than the last pic as well.  It’s amazing how certain species thrive in different regions.  You can tell this palm is native to Arizona.   Cheers,  
                                                     Jeff

5A360A7D-C17D-437A-A675-EC314D1244B1.jpeg

On 8/19/2021 at 1:02 PM, wrigjef said:

I’m not a big fan of Washies as they are invasive in Phoenix and a mess however there is something about it naturally popping up in the perfect spot.  Rather than pull it out I put a drip on it and it’s exploding.  Our amazing Monsoon this year is helping as well.  It’s put on 4 new Fronds in 3 weeks!  It’s clearly taller and thicker than the last pic as well.  It’s amazing how certain species thrive in different regions.  You can tell this palm is native to Arizona.   Cheers,  
                                                     Jeff

5A360A7D-C17D-437A-A675-EC314D1244B1.jpeg

Well, I love the washies, both species and the Filibusta hybrid. They are really tough, withstanding many types of weather.  Some of the best filiferas I've seen on Google Street View are on he University of Arizona campus in Tucson.  Love the thick heavy trunks.

Edited by howfam