IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

You know you are a palm nut when

redant

You have 7 Christmas Palm seedlings, 30 Trachy seedlings and currently germinating 25 pygmy's in a small a apartment, and when it comes time to sell them, you don't want to , and have no where to put them :P

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/5/2021 at 11:43 AM, Darold Petty said:

Thanks Meg,  I can be somewhat compulsive.  The palm was Howea belmoreana.  This species has a more variable frond than does H. forsteriana.  I had an in-ground plant when a friend came over.  He was working as an informal palm broker for SoCal palms up to the Bay Area.  He remarked that Rancho Soledad nursery had a much better frond form, in 24 Inch boxes.

Well, I left at 5:00 AM a few days later.  The truck was a 1978 Toyota mini-truck, 90 HP,  I really had to row the gearbox.  I drove 490 miles to Rancho Santa Fe in north San Diego county.  I bought the best one of six available, wrapped it up like a mummy, went to the fast food drive through, and hit the freeway northbound.  I made it about 2/3 rds of the distance home by dark, and stopped at a freeway motel.    Too tired to eat dinner !  :winkie: 

Hard core. Respect. B):D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

When you live in NJ/Zone 7a/b but have half the collection of Fairchild's.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Someone in this conversation is a palm nut:

Person 1: "Oh, wow, such a nice palm garden!"

Person 2: "Yeah, but where's the house?"

P1: "Who cares about the house? We aren't here to see the house!"

P2: "I have to go the bathroom . . . . "

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

If you can blow your friends off because "I have to water my palms," and they don't question it. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

When a downstairs apartment opens up and you kinda wanna move into it because there's more patio space. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

When you're trying to watch the College World Series (Hail State), you need to cook dinner, need to walk the dog, do laundry, take the trash out, etc etc 

But there's a nice breeze blowing and you just wanna sit outside and vibe with your palms. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

When you have zone 11 palms in Orlando

When you check Palmtalk 20 times per day

When you make your own zone maps

I could go on ...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

When yew participate in threads like this…..

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

When you can communicate with other palm nuts using the palm slang, that is old, no more valid names of palm genera and spp, but nevertheless you understand each other.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

When your apartment manager sends you, and only you, an email asking you to bring your palms inside due to high wind potential from a tropical storm. 

I literally went to my neighbors to let them know - but only I got an email from management. Also fwiw I brought every pot that weighs less than 30 pounds inside lol 

• Like 2

you have Palmtalk as your homepage.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

When you don’t really care that much about these Covid lockdowns because you’re already on the tropical palmy spot you want to be.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Go where? For a tropical vacation?

Why?

8E87D847-E701-4A30-939D-DE00B02867F9.thumb.jpeg.39b6a917d31da44ecfc8e188cf18cf21.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

...you keep the pit of LITERALLY every date you eat in order to plant it

...you plant palms near on the walkway which isn't even your property

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

On 6/9/2021 at 10:12 AM, DoomsDave said:

Someone in this conversation is a palm nut:

Person 1: "Oh, wow, such a nice palm garden!"

Person 2: "Yeah, but where's the house?"

P1: "Who cares about the house? We aren't here to see the house!"

P2: "I have to go the bathroom . . . . "

P1: Can you please pee on the palms. We don't want all that natural fertilizer to go to waste.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

You start killing off old established common palms you are not overly fond of to plant young uncommon palms.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I've been giggling at my screen through 2 pages of comments. :lol:

... a few from my perspective...

You buy property 5,000 miles away from where you live because the climate is better for growing palms.

You fly to Hawaii for a month and spend 85% of your time picking up dead fronds and pulling weeds, and you're perfectly happy about it.

Your compost heap is taller than you are (all 3 of them).

Your Instagram account has as many photos of palms as of your children and/or grandchildren.

You always put a drink can or a shovel in a photo to demonstrate the size of your plants.

It irritates you to see morphologically incorrect artwork representing palms.

You get photos texted by friends and family asking for IDs of interesting plants they see because you are faster and more accurate than googling.

• Like 10

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

2 hours ago, redant said:

You start killing off old established common palms you are not overly fond of to plant young uncommon palms.

You edit your collection (for good cause) and choke back the tears . . . .

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Isn't that the truth!

• Like 1

Better yet, decide to move to another country with a climate that allows you to grow just about anything.

Only 6 weeks away for me.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

A coworker asks you for help designing an outdoor dining area since they want it to have a tropical look.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

8 hours ago, redant said:

When I give plants away to my employees, they say "so you're gonna buy something more rare and exotic now?" and I'm like "shut up and appreciate this palm."

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, redant said:

11 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Truly spoken!

I am exactly at this point at the moment! I LOVE this forum! :greenthumb:

best regards 

Lars

• Like 3

So funny all!

I know I am a palm nut because I gave up a paid job to move far from friends and family and work harder caring for more and more palms for zero salary.

• Like 7

Cindy Adair

you go to Tecoman, Colima, Manzanillo, Colima and Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco to take palm pics.

I'll upload many once I we get back.

IMG-20210916-WA0029.jpg

IMG_20210916_114455_1.jpg

IMG_20210916_111853_1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

You go to the San Diego Zoo and only take photos of the palms ("They have animals here too?")

Edited by idesign123
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

@Jeff Searle! You are NUTTY!

On 9/15/2021 at 2:44 PM, Victor G. said:

...you keep the pit of LITERALLY every date you eat in order to plant it

Tell me about it :D

IMG_20210917_163508.jpg

• Like 3

Instead of yours kids....

your phone is full of pictures of new fronds and flushes ! 

that you show off to anyone who will listen!

Snapchat-54322304.jpg

Snapchat-484632365.jpg

Snapchat-527230058.jpg

Snapchat-732400548.jpg

Snapchat-1222722821.jpg

• Like 6

When a guest at the hotel you manage calls you to talk about the plants in your office window and even though you're insanely busy, you drop what you're doing to talk about your plant collections

• Like 6

On 6/5/2021 at 10:03 AM, Valhallalla said:

Along the same lines, when you notice the palms in a movie/TV show are quite obviously not correct for the geographic location the scene is supposed to be set in and it really bothers you. For example, the scene is supposed to be deep in a jungle somewhere in southeast Asia yet the only palms around are Majesties, Queens and Dypsis lutescens.

Yes!   Full Metal Jacket, set in Vietnam, but the scenes are full of Phoenix canariensis they transplanted to make it look tropical.

Forrest Gump, also in a Vietnam scene, has Sabal palmetto.  (Filmed in South Carolina.)

Spy Game, some of its Vietnam scenes are in a grove of Phoenix dactylifera.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 11:58 AM, EJ;) said:

Instead of yours kids....

your phone is full of pictures of new fronds and flushes ! 

that you show off to anyone who will listen!

Snapchat-54322304.jpg

Snapchat-484632365.jpg

Snapchat-527230058.jpg

Snapchat-732400548.jpg

Snapchat-1222722821.jpg

This

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1