IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

European fan palm?

ZPalms

I just got this European fan palm assuming that’s what it is, it wasn’t tagged but I think that’s what it is, definitely needs to be repotted since it’s filled this pot up with its roots but when I get home Im gonna cover these exposed roots and does these spears look normal just wanna make sure! 

35054365-6BC2-4DB0-A65B-144A6F61C503.jpeg

882DC5D5-DBA9-49FB-BD59-21E6AB7DA8E4.jpeg

798B4499-2BBE-4591-AE77-97B2C3F3E567.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@ZPalms I just got one this year as well. Yours looks great, definitely got a lot of sun it’s really compact. The one I’ve got is really stretched out the petioles are silly looking long, must have spent it’s whole life in a greenhouse. If it would survive I would plant mine for sure

6 hours ago, teddytn said:

@ZPalms I just got one this year as well. Yours looks great, definitely got a lot of sun it’s really compact. The one I’ve got is really stretched out the petioles are silly looking long, must have spent it’s whole life in a greenhouse. If it would survive I would plant mine for sure

Do palm trees with stretched petioles ever recover? If they do I hope yours will get better! When I bought this I actually thought it was a trachy until I looked at the leaves further ^_^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZPalms said:

Do palm trees with stretched petioles ever recover? If they do I hope yours will get better! When I bought this I actually thought it was a trachy until I looked at the leaves further ^_^

Yeah they do, the new leaves grown in sun will come out looking like yours do, and after enough time when it replaces all the older leaves the whole palm with have a compact look like yours. 

• Like 1

Anyone have any tips for putting this palm into the ground with a binded pot roots? Should I try and break the roots up or should I let it be and let nature do its thing?

43 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Anyone have any tips for putting this palm into the ground with a binded pot roots? Should I try and break the roots up or should I let it be and let nature do its thing?

Cut the pot. 

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Cut the pot. 

It's not attached to the pot it can slide out but before I put it in the ground do I break the roots up or leave them be?

I'd leave them alone - I guess I misunderstood, I've had a few plants where I had to cut the pot off to get them out. My Monstera was literally all roots with like 1/2" of dirt on top lol. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'd leave them alone - I guess I misunderstood, I've had a few plants where I had to cut the pot off to get them out. My Monstera was literally all roots with like 1/2" of dirt on top lol. 

Awesome thanks, it will go in the ground tomorrow then! Thanks!

Mess with the roots as little as possible. Cut the pot off if it is rootbound - a razor knife works great on those plastic commercial pots.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Does anyone have tips to keep rabbits away or would they even bother with it because of the spikes, I don't have anymore fencing to put around this palm

2 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Does anyone have tips to keep rabbits away or would they even bother with it because of the spikes, I don't have anymore fencing to put around this palm

There’s rabbits that hangout in my yard and I’ve never known them to eat palms. Pretty sure they would rather go for something softer to eat, especially this time of year grass is plentiful 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, teddytn said:

There’s rabbits that hangout in my yard and I’ve never known them to eat palms. Pretty sure they would rather go for something softer to eat, especially this time of year grass is plentiful 

I've had some bunnies check out my sabal which is protected by stone and chicken wire but I'm not sure if they would go for a plant as big and as spikey as this so I guess I can just put it in the ground and watch what animals do, My gut tells me they won't care for it but just to be safe I'll spray neem oil on the leaves to make it taste nasty if they do try

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I've had some bunnies check out my sabal which is protected by stone and chicken wire but I'm not sure if they would go for a plant as big and as spikey as this so I guess I can just put it in the ground and watch what animals do, My gut tells me they won't care for it but just to be safe I'll spray neem oil on the leaves to make it taste nasty if they do try

You’re right better safe than sorry

• Like 1

In general, most all critters avoid palms, and this one is especially prickly.  Regarding planting, plant in a site with GOOD DRAINAGE, they're Mediterranean and resent sitting in water..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oasis371 said:

In general, most all critters avoid palms, and this one is especially prickly.  Regarding planting, plant in a site with GOOD DRAINAGE, they're Mediterranean and resent sitting in water..

I always dig a big hole and then fill it with good potting soil and perlite, I hope that's good enough my sabal likes it. I'm still new to this stuff so that's all I know atm

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 9:03 AM, teddytn said:

On 6/8/2021 at 6:07 AM, ZPalms said:

Unfortunately, and as of recently I have a rabbit in the backyard that has taken a liking to Chamaerops fronds that hang low... 

And it seems to be more than just a "taste test." 

BONIDE makes a repellent spray and granular product called Repels All. 

It is same to use around people and pets, but seems to keep squirrels and rabbits away. 

I would go with the granules since they seem to last a little longer if you choose to use a repellent. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

Unfortunately, and as of recently I have a rabbit in the backyard that has taken a liking to Chamaerops fronds that hang low... 

And it seems to be more than just a "taste test." 

BONIDE makes a repellent spray and granular product called Repels All. 

It is same to use around people and pets, but seems to keep squirrels and rabbits away. 

I would go with the granules since they seem to last a little longer if you choose to use a repellent. 

I stand corrected. 

• Like 1

I have way too many rabbits around.  They tagged a Sabal minor as a taste test but have always left the Chamaerops alone (I have 6).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, teddytn said:

@ZPalms what did you decide to do, keep it potted for now or did you plant it?

I've been busy and haven't got to plant it in the ground yet and I need to buy soil but it's going in the ground definitely when I get the chance, It's opening new fronds through :blush2:

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I'm kind of confused about the naming of Chamaerops humilis, Is there a reason why it's called European and Mediterranean Fan Palm? Is there a difference in appearance? I've noticed some Chamaerops have a fountain look to them and some are stiff, I've also noticed when looking up European Fan Palms that they aren't as tall but they have stiff leaves and thick trunks, but is that because the skirts is removed? And when you look up Mediterranean fan palms, they show much taller tree forms with slimmer trunks. Does the way they look have anything to do with growing conditions? pruning decisions? Do the fronds have a genetic variable that one can have stiffer fronds than another?

I'm just finding out that the species are apparently the same :floor: 

685399180_Chamaeropshumilismature2.thumb.jpg.a101aa1b270a53604ec9b078613e9ea1.jpg

mediterranean_fan_palm_tree_landscape.thumb.jpg.5394062ac82c51d93ec447799b971be8.jpg

IMG_8803.thumb.jpg.f73281ab6276bc48b836d84b904ffd98.jpg

1577893904_81o8VBTpoL._AC_SL1117_.thumb.jpg.48cf26b2672665b56c06c1ca3744e9e1.jpg

On 3/4/2022 at 9:14 PM, ZPalms said:

I'm kind of confused about the naming of Chamaerops humilis, Is there a reason why it's called European and Mediterranean Fan Palm? Is there a difference in appearance? I've noticed some Chamaerops have a fountain look to them and some are stiff, Does the way they look have anything to do with growing conditions? pruning decisions? Do the fronds have a genetic variable that one can have stiffer fronds than another?

The common names given to Chamaerops humilis (Mediterranean Fan Palm and European Fan Palm) are because its native habitat is in Europe around the Mediterranean Sea.  As @Darold Petty and others (like myself) have pointed out one could plant an entire garden with different forms of Chamaerops since the species is so variable.  Differences that you'll notice are mostly due to genetics and not growing conditions.  Most have pretty stiff leaves but you'll occasionally see some with softer leaves like this weepy form:

5b0df5427a886_Corpus002.thumb.JPG.5a7c0c5fb2e655bfb97663ffe5b1d554.JPG

Have you heard of the 'vulcano' form?  It's my favorite.  I have a vulcano seedling, a compact green form like yours, and a blue 'argentea' form.

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 3

Jon Sunder

15 hours ago, Fusca said:

The common names given to Chamaerops humilis (Mediterranean Fan Palm and European Fan Palm) are because its native habitat is in Europe around the Mediterranean Sea.  As @Darold Petty and others (like myself) have pointed out one could plant an entire garden with different forms of Chamaerops since the species is so variable.  Differences that you'll notice are mostly due to genetics and not growing conditions.  Most have pretty stiff leaves but you'll occasionally see some with softer leaves like this weepy form:

5b0df5427a886_Corpus002.thumb.JPG.5a7c0c5fb2e655bfb97663ffe5b1d554.JPG

Have you heard of the 'vulcano' form?  It's my favorite.  I have a vulcano seedling, a compact green form like yours, and a blue 'argentea' form.

Oh wow, that's so interesting! Thanks for the clarity!! That chamaerops looks almost like a livistona if I were to see it at first glance. That's an awesome specimen. I've heard of the vulcano form but haven't seen many pictures of it in its mature form, but the leaves remind me of tropical plants. I'm sending washie seeds to somebody soon and they are trading back some green and blue seeds, and I'm excited to give the blue a try! 

This photo is from November 12th, 2021, and my chamaerops still continues to grow but has taken shape. I didn't like the cut it had when I first bought it, but now it's looking more pleasing to me and I'm excited to finally get it in the ground after the last frost. B)

Don't mind that mess in the background, all that grass and forest has all been pushed back and managed :P

1267691202_IMG-8603(1).thumb.jpg.d6b99c7d64c491ab7446f4946f3de105.jpg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ZPalms said:

they are trading back some green and blue seeds, and I'm excited to give the blue a try! 

That will be good to get it in the ground.  Remember that Chamaerops are considered dioecious so (in most cases) a male and female palm are needed to produce viable seeds.  I didn't think about that a few years ago when I collected fruits from a blue 'argentea' since it may very well have been pollinated by a green male.  My 3-year-old seedlings are still quite green and may turn blue later or, most likely, will stay green.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

16 hours ago, Fusca said:

That will be good to get it in the ground.  Remember that Chamaerops are considered dioecious so (in most cases) a male and female palm are needed to produce viable seeds.  I didn't think about that a few years ago when I collected fruits from a blue 'argentea' since it may very well have been pollinated by a green male.  My 3-year-old seedlings are still quite green and may turn blue later or, most likely, will stay green.

I didn't know that, thanks, hopefully I can have more than one cause id love to collect seeds myself :greenthumb:

On 3/8/2022 at 3:26 AM, ZPalms said:

Oh wow, that's so interesting! Thanks for the clarity!! That chamaerops looks almost like a livistona if I were to see it at first glance. That's an awesome specimen. I've heard of the vulcano form but haven't seen many pictures of it in its mature form, but the leaves remind me of tropical plants. I'm sending washie seeds to somebody soon and they are trading back some green and blue seeds, and I'm excited to give the blue a try! 

This photo is from November 12th, 2021, and my chamaerops still continues to grow but has taken shape. I didn't like the cut it had when I first bought it, but now it's looking more pleasing to me and I'm excited to finally get it in the ground after the last frost. B)

Don't mind that mess in the background, all that grass and forest has all been pushed back and managed :P

1267691202_IMG-8603(1).thumb.jpg.d6b99c7d64c491ab7446f4946f3de105.jpg

If that’s the same one you posted a pic of at the beginning of the thread, that thing has grown a lot!!!! 

Edited by teddytn

On 3/7/2022 at 12:45 PM, Fusca said:

Most have pretty stiff leaves but you'll occasionally see some with softer leaves like this weepy form:

Holy...you just can't drop bombs like that, and then walk away.

1. Where did you take that picture?

2. Where can I get one (or seeds)?

• Upvote 1

Unified Theory of Palm Seed Germination

image.png.2a6e16e02a0a8bfb8a478ab737de4bb1.png

(Where: bh = bottom heat, fs = fresh seed, L = love, m = magic, p = patience, and t = time)

DISCLAIMER: Working theory; not yet peer reviewed.

"Fronds come and go; the spear is life!" - Anonymous Palmtalker

1 hour ago, teddytn said:

If that’s the same one you posted a pic of at the beginning of the thread, that thing has grown a lot!!!! 

It is! I'm really happy with the growth. It's incredibly root-bound though and needs to come out of the pot immediately when the first chance comes. Funny thing, though, when I first got it, I was still new to palm trees, so I didn't really know the names. I saw this at a nursery, and it was the only one, so I thought it was a trachy. :D

I wish I had also gotten the Livistona they had too, but I didn't even know it was a livistona at the time. :P

1 hour ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

So true, I think that Chamaerops makes a great livistona:yay:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoatLockerGuns said:

It's planted at Blynn College main campus in Brenham, TX.  Right outside the building where I used to work in 2016 - that's when I saw it last.  I'm not sure if it's a female or not - might not yield seeds but there are several other "regular" Chamaerops nearby in the same courtyard.

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 2

Jon Sunder