ZPalms

European fan palm?

ZPalms

I just got this European fan palm assuming that’s what it is, it wasn’t tagged but I think that’s what it is, definitely needs to be repotted since it’s filled this pot up with its roots but when I get home Im gonna cover these exposed roots and does these spears look normal just wanna make sure! 

35054365-6BC2-4DB0-A65B-144A6F61C503.jpeg

882DC5D5-DBA9-49FB-BD59-21E6AB7DA8E4.jpeg

798B4499-2BBE-4591-AE77-97B2C3F3E567.jpeg

• Like 1

ZPalms

Actually I rather it go into the ground

teddytn

@ZPalms I just got one this year as well. Yours looks great, definitely got a lot of sun it’s really compact. The one I’ve got is really stretched out the petioles are silly looking long, must have spent it’s whole life in a greenhouse. If it would survive I would plant mine for sure

ZPalms
6 hours ago, teddytn said:

@ZPalms I just got one this year as well. Yours looks great, definitely got a lot of sun it’s really compact. The one I’ve got is really stretched out the petioles are silly looking long, must have spent it’s whole life in a greenhouse. If it would survive I would plant mine for sure

Do palm trees with stretched petioles ever recover? If they do I hope yours will get better! When I bought this I actually thought it was a trachy until I looked at the leaves further ^_^

• Like 1

teddytn
1 hour ago, ZPalms said:

Do palm trees with stretched petioles ever recover? If they do I hope yours will get better! When I bought this I actually thought it was a trachy until I looked at the leaves further ^_^

Yeah they do, the new leaves grown in sun will come out looking like yours do, and after enough time when it replaces all the older leaves the whole palm with have a compact look like yours. 

• Like 1

ZPalms

Anyone have any tips for putting this palm into the ground with a binded pot roots? Should I try and break the roots up or should I let it be and let nature do its thing?

JohnAndSancho
43 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Anyone have any tips for putting this palm into the ground with a binded pot roots? Should I try and break the roots up or should I let it be and let nature do its thing?

Cut the pot. 

ZPalms
1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Cut the pot. 

It's not attached to the pot it can slide out but before I put it in the ground do I break the roots up or leave them be?

JohnAndSancho

I'd leave them alone - I guess I misunderstood, I've had a few plants where I had to cut the pot off to get them out. My Monstera was literally all roots with like 1/2" of dirt on top lol. 

• Like 1

ZPalms
29 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'd leave them alone - I guess I misunderstood, I've had a few plants where I had to cut the pot off to get them out. My Monstera was literally all roots with like 1/2" of dirt on top lol. 

Awesome thanks, it will go in the ground tomorrow then! Thanks!

PalmatierMeg

Mess with the roots as little as possible. Cut the pot off if it is rootbound - a razor knife works great on those plastic commercial pots.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ZPalms

Does anyone have tips to keep rabbits away or would they even bother with it because of the spikes, I don't have anymore fencing to put around this palm

teddytn
2 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Does anyone have tips to keep rabbits away or would they even bother with it because of the spikes, I don't have anymore fencing to put around this palm

There’s rabbits that hangout in my yard and I’ve never known them to eat palms. Pretty sure they would rather go for something softer to eat, especially this time of year grass is plentiful 

• Like 1

ZPalms
14 hours ago, teddytn said:

There’s rabbits that hangout in my yard and I’ve never known them to eat palms. Pretty sure they would rather go for something softer to eat, especially this time of year grass is plentiful 

I've had some bunnies check out my sabal which is protected by stone and chicken wire but I'm not sure if they would go for a plant as big and as spikey as this so I guess I can just put it in the ground and watch what animals do, My gut tells me they won't care for it but just to be safe I'll spray neem oil on the leaves to make it taste nasty if they do try

• Like 1

teddytn
6 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I've had some bunnies check out my sabal which is protected by stone and chicken wire but I'm not sure if they would go for a plant as big and as spikey as this so I guess I can just put it in the ground and watch what animals do, My gut tells me they won't care for it but just to be safe I'll spray neem oil on the leaves to make it taste nasty if they do try

You’re right better safe than sorry

• Like 1

oasis371

In general, most all critters avoid palms, and this one is especially prickly.  Regarding planting, plant in a site with GOOD DRAINAGE, they're Mediterranean and resent sitting in water..

• Like 1

ZPalms
10 hours ago, oasis371 said:

In general, most all critters avoid palms, and this one is especially prickly.  Regarding planting, plant in a site with GOOD DRAINAGE, they're Mediterranean and resent sitting in water..

I always dig a big hole and then fill it with good potting soil and perlite, I hope that's good enough my sabal likes it. I'm still new to this stuff so that's all I know atm