IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Big box old man palm?

chad2468emr

Not a palm I’ve done a ton of research on, but whenever I HAVE come across these, they were well more than $109 at this size so I’m tempted…. 

How are these in 9b Central FL and have I only seen these at over-priced nurseries or is this as much of a steal as I feel it is? 

57BF6F57-3ECA-434E-9EF8-6C38257D1EC5.thumb.jpeg.5f3868ab71de623bd1d460309efe582e.jpeg

7C8ABF27-33EF-4FCB-A593-A22920BDBC52.thumb.jpeg.ff0b4547a57e9fbb445cf145bea0c4ec.jpeg

5D933EC4-A426-4484-9BED-625224C83D12.thumb.jpeg.9973401d045722f8ebcc9454cf49c07e.jpeg

• Like 3

Former South Florida resident living in the Greater Orlando Area, zone 9b.

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

I have a couple in Port Orange about .5mile from the coast and they’re fine. Haven’t really been tested in about 10 years. Slow but cool. Can’t beat the price for a 7gal 

Welp…. 
4304E478-3384-40C2-AA4C-9638CB65D9F9.thumb.jpeg.2188c56fba1dc25e7245f1f9020de5cd.jpeg

The slightest hint of a good deal + seeing something I rarely come across was all I needed. 

Go to Lowe’s at 7:00pm on a Thursday for a $3 terra cotta pot, come home with a palm… par for the course. Hahaha

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

Constantly wishing I could still grow zone 10 palms worry-free, but also trying to appease my strange fixation with Washingtonias. 

46 minutes ago, chad2468emr said:

Welp…. 
4304E478-3384-40C2-AA4C-9638CB65D9F9.thumb.jpeg.2188c56fba1dc25e7245f1f9020de5cd.jpeg

The slightest hint of a good deal + seeing something I rarely come across was all I needed. 

Go to Lowe’s at 7:00pm on a Thursday for a $3 terra cotta pot, come home with a palm… par for the course. Hahaha

You made the right choice ;) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@chad2468emr Nice grab!  These seem to be doing fine in the gardens they are in over this way.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

6 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

Man, you guys find some cool stuff at the BB stores!  

Indeed. We hardly ever get anything good at the big box stores near me. In the past several years the coolest things I've seen is one store had 3 gallon Coonties (cycad) and 3 gallon Thrinax radiatas for $20. Not the most exciting or rare. I should have grabbed some of the Zamias, though, as they had paired male and female coning plants in each pot.

Almost anything in the way of palms can be grown here and we are just up the road from the nurseries where most of these plants originate yet our big box palm selection consists mostly of queens, majesties and a few other common species. Sad.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

Man, you guys find some cool stuff at the BB stores!  

9 minutes ago, Valhallalla said:

Indeed. We hardly ever get anything good at the big box stores near me.

This is so so so so soooooo far from the norm, haha. Typically it’s queens, pygmy dates, adonidia, fox tails, MAYBE the rare fish tail, the occasional coconut, spindles, bottles, washingtonia, and chinensis. I’ve seen Mediterranean fans occasionally as well. Other than that, I’ve never actually seen anything exciting except for yesterday. 

• Like 1

Also, it’s the Lowe’s in poinciana and they had another one if anyone wants to grab it!! 

• Like 1

The Lowe’s in rockledge had 15g for $199 about this time last year. I would’ve gone for it but I didn’t  have room. 
hopefully carrying these becomes a norm. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chad2468emr said:

This is so so so so soooooo far from the norm, haha. Typically it’s queens, pygmy dates, adonidia, fox tails, MAYBE the rare fish tail, the occasional coconut, spindles, bottles, washingtonia, and chinensis. I’ve seen Mediterranean fans occasionally as well. Other than that, I’ve never actually seen anything exciting except for yesterday. 

Yep. Throw in some Bismarkias and Cat palms and that would complete our basic BB palm repertoire here. I used to find some better stuff occasionally but that was back when less things were as common as they are now. 

BTW, I meant to say nice find. I wonder how much these wholesale for. Did the tag happen to say what grower they came from?

8 minutes ago, Valhallalla said:

Yep. Throw in some Bismarkias and Cat palms and that would complete our basic BB palm repertoire here. I used to find some better stuff occasionally but that was back when less things were as common as they are now. 

BTW, I meant to say nice find. I wonder how much these wholesale for. Did the tag happen to say what grower they came from?

Ah yes, I forgot bizzies + cat palms. And of course majesties! And the occasional areca and butia. Now that I think about it, there are also a few Lowe’s south of Orlando that have some decent looking mule palms. The one in Haines City usually has 10g mules and a few 7s. 

The tag says “acosta farms” and after googling, they’re down in Homestead / Miami. 

6C2886D6-BE12-43E1-8142-C6D5B1AAA88C.thumb.jpeg.aa42df76eb50173a49657aa93268cef0.jpeg

Edit: 

Their site lists their field grown plants HERE and their container plants HERE via plantant. 

They have ARCHONTOPHOENIX in their field grown palms, and I’m dying for them to become more of a staple in big box stores in FL given my obsession with them paired with how much better they look than adoninida / how much better they do in this area. Too bad they don’t offer containerized versions because I‘ve only ever seen one field grown palm available in a big box store. 

Edited by chad2468emr
  • Like 1

My experience with these, try to keep the crown from getting to much rain/irrigation. I killed 2, third I planted under the eve of my house with drip irrigation and it's doing amazing.

Here's a really old man in Tequesta I saw while riding my bike.

IMG_8142.jpg

Edited by redant
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

2 hours ago, redant said:

My experience with these, try to keep the crown from getting to much rain/irrigation. I killed 2, third I planted under the eve of my house with drip irrigation and it's doing amazing.

Nice! I did a search on the forum and came across that advice in a previous thread. I'm moving soon and the lawn has a sprinkler system, so I'm already anticipating myself struggling to position my container palms around the area where they get the right amount of light but minimal overhead contact with the sprinklers. Good to know to prioritize this one in the dryest of places!! I might even end up keeping it under the front porch overhang or in the screened in rear patio, though those will get minimal light. 

36 minutes ago, chad2468emr said:

Nice! I did a search on the forum and came across that advice in a previous thread. I'm moving soon and the lawn has a sprinkler system, so I'm already anticipating myself struggling to position my container palms around the area where they get the right amount of light but minimal overhead contact with the sprinklers. Good to know to prioritize this one in the dryest of places!! I might even end up keeping it under the front porch overhang or in the screened in rear patio, though those will get minimal light. 

Mine gets roasted by sun and heat from the driveway and seem to love it.

IMG_8193.jpg

• Like 2

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

47 minutes ago, redant said:

Mine gets roasted by sun and heat from the driveway and seem to love it.

Looks great! The place I’m moving to has a similar spot for the driveway. It’s a rental so I’d hate leaving it behind, but it DOES seem like a spot it would do well in. 

Edited by chad2468emr

2 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

I'm moving soon and the lawn has a sprinkler system, so I'm already anticipating myself struggling to position my container palms around the area where they get the right amount of light but minimal overhead contact with the sprinklers.

They make little adapters that you can screw in between the sprinkler head and the water line to add drip lines off of existing heads.  Works like a charm.

• Like 1

$109 for that Coccothrinax that size is a great price. Our local Lowe's recently had them that size for $199; they still sold out. 

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

10 hours ago, chad2468emr said:

Ah yes, I forgot bizzies + cat palms. And of course majesties! And the occasional areca and butia. Now that I think about it, there are also a few Lowe’s south of Orlando that have some decent looking mule palms. The one in Haines City usually has 10g mules and a few 7s. 

The tag says “acosta farms” and after googling, they’re down in Homestead / Miami. 

6C2886D6-BE12-43E1-8142-C6D5B1AAA88C.thumb.jpeg.aa42df76eb50173a49657aa93268cef0.jpeg

Edit: 

Their site lists their field grown plants HERE and their container plants HERE via plantant. 

They have ARCHONTOPHOENIX in their field grown palms, and I’m dying for them to become more of a staple in big box stores in FL given my obsession with them paired with how much better they look than adoninida / how much better they do in this area. Too bad they don’t offer containerized versions because I‘ve only ever seen one field grown palm available in a big box store. 

The Queens we get up here, and pretty much everything else is from that nursery. All my Queens are from there, and i think my Bottle and Foxtail is too i dont remember.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

7 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

They make little adapters that you can screw in between the sprinkler head and the water line to add drip lines off of existing heads.  Works like a charm.

I use these as well, they have a swivel barb and you can keep stacking them too if you have multiple plants you want to add drip lines for. :)

18 hours ago, Keys6505 said:

10 hours ago, BigWaveDav3 said:

I use these as well, they have a swivel barb and you can keep stacking them too if you have multiple plants you want to add drip lines for. :)

I thought about this because I’ve seen those around. But I feel like my lawn would need water way more often than the palms, so I’m not sure how I’d accomplish that, haha. 

Here he is! All potted up in some seriously well-draining mix and placed in the sunniest, hottest spot I’ve got. I had to move my bizzie from that spot, but it served as a great opportunity to do some rearranging of all the potted palms out front. :) 

ACA6120B-27BB-4BF7-98AD-65DB22D66D14.thumb.jpeg.336e3644d1693a0c2fd858d2fdceef93.jpeg
8CB2000B-404E-4671-B455-DFB336D849AF.thumb.jpeg.6fd861c247231daa9f7a36191e92ea5d.jpeg

74601692-29DD-4B37-A75A-A6B4BE7B3E26.thumb.jpeg.9c83bed9ae3765b6215af884bd5425fd.jpeg

• Like 1

Meant to post this as well. 
929D83DD-C231-4138-8F41-16F24479E4E6.thumb.jpeg.3b711bb259e34cc4b4560339c2465ef3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 6/4/2021 at 3:30 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

$109 for that Coccothrinax that size is a great price. Our local Lowe's recently had them that size for $199; they still sold out. 

Are you sure they were this size for $199? Generally all the BB stores in the state are going to sell for the same price. I found them last year for $199 but they were much larger.

Sure at the time but they are sold now.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Sort of unrelated, but the Lowe’s in Lake Nona had two 25 gallon pseudophoenix sargentii for ~$200 each as well yesterday. Definitely never saw one of those at a big box store before! I thought I took a photo, but I must have imagined it because I can’t find one now. They were huge!