Sign in to follow this  
JEFF IN MODESTO

Growing the Ficus Dammaropsis in Modesto

JEFF IN MODESTO

Ive been quite successful Propagating  and growing this cool ficus in the San Joaquin valley. They make a beautiful companion tree to my exotic palm collection.

Check out this video I did.

Edited by JEFF IN MODESTO
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Josue Diaz

They're HUGE Jeff! 

EJ;)
On 6/2/2021 at 3:15 PM, JEFF IN MODESTO said:

Ive been quite successful Propagating  and growing this cool ficus in the San Joaquin valley. They make a beautiful companion tree to my exotic palm collection.

Check out this video I did.

Good Afternoon Jeff, 

I live in stockton out by the delta waterways, but work in Modesto. Small world!!!

Where did you find that beautiful tree? Here locally or did you order it online?

EJ

JEFF IN MODESTO

I got the original from a friend

• Like 1

Michael Smith

Cool video. I've had success with this plant too down in Visalia, far to the south of where you are. I was surprised that it handled more summer sun than I thought it would. Great plant. I've also had alot of luck air layering it with a plastic water bottle filled with orchid moss. Do you grow any other interesting ficus? If so, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks. 

Josue Diaz
6 hours ago, Michael Smith said:

Cool video. I've had success with this plant too down in Visalia, far to the south of where you are. I was surprised that it handled more summer sun than I thought it would. Great plant. I've also had alot of luck air layering it with a plastic water bottle filled with orchid moss. Do you grow any other interesting ficus? If so, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks. 

Not trying to speak for Jeff, but he did rehome a large Ficus roxbughii to me several years ago. It's growing in my yard in Fresno - getting huge, and looks super tropical. Ficus dammaropsis is one I'd' love to try as well but I've not had the chance to. yet...

• Upvote 1

Michael Smith

Josue: Photo???

Josue Diaz
20 minutes ago, Michael Smith said:

Josue: Photo???

Evergreen in Fresno

FB_IMG_1642783330489.jpg

FB_IMG_1642783336219.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Michael Smith

Awesome thanks!

Silas_Sancona
10 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Evergreen in Fresno

FB_IMG_1642783330489.jpg

FB_IMG_1642783336219.jpg

Great shots Josue!.. From the angle in the first picture, your yard looks like it sits on a bit of a steep slope, like you're looking across the slope of a hill..  ..In a very " non California " location too.

Would try one if they could handle the intense sun here.. Maybe later,  if a future place has lots of high canopy that provides plenty of shifting shade..

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• N3RDHE4D
      By N3RDHE4D
      I have been scouring the internet for a whole year for this plant! 
      Hi! I live in Canada and I have been messaging people on Instagram and plant shops (mainly in the Australian continent) on how in the heck I can get my hands on one of these plants or seeds. They either have no clue where to find one or they are not (legally saying) able to ship it to me. This plant is completely legal to own in my country by the way. 
      So if anyone has any information on how I can purchase one and bring it into my country I would more than appreciate it! Thank you in advance!
    • Tracy
      By Tracy
      There are Ficus dammaropsis that produce the red fruit and others that produce the green fruit.  I have yet to see a Ficus dammaropsis that produces the red fruit that grows into a real tree.  The few people that I know that have the red fruit form have experienced the same thing I have, which is limb die offs.  The main trunk grows for a period, produces a few branches and then the main trunk dies back and one of the branches becomes the new "main trunk".  Mine grows inside a low wall/fence,  in front of my house, so gets some wind protection.  It seems to max out in height at the elevation of the westerly fence, never really growing above it   Limbs seem to get too heavy with the large leaves that can be like sails when windy.  I guess it isn't surprising that it wants to remain low, below the fence elevation. 

The question is, whether anyone has grown the red fruit form and see it become a multi branched tree without this continual cycling between new grown and old growth die off.  My plant doesn't appear much larger than it did 1 year after I planted it and over the years has died back to be a much smaller plant than it is today.  I have had the plant since about 2012 or 13 and put it in the ground in 2015.   Please share your experience, positive or negative, with the red fruit variety.

• talkjk
      By talkjk
      Trimming back our Ficus Dammaropsis and it looks like this. Amy ideas on how to dress it ?. 

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I just picked up a 1 gallon seedling of a lowland form of Ficus dammaropsis from our PalmTalk friend Josh.  While I am growing a red fruit and red vein variety, I thought it would be fun to try this variation as well.  I didn't hesitate to drop it into the ground, as I just cleared some spots to facilitate replacing a fence between my house and my neighbor's.  Before and after shots of the little seedling.  I put down some snail & slug control after planting it as added protection from pests going after its still very soft juvenile leaf which is opening.

• Pando
      By Pando
      Just wanted to share - my chambeyropsis™ decided to show up with this wicked-looking reddish bronze new leaf today.