IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Transplanting root bound Christmas tree palm

Ricanstructed

Over a year ago I purchased two pots (one pictured) for the single trunk adonidias I finally found yesterday.  As a native Puerto Rican, then Florida transplant, these trees are a much much needed taste of home here in my new location in mid Missouri.  The home we purchased won me over with the 2 story large "great room" that offers sky lights with plenty of filtered sun for all of my tropicals over winter. These pots flank the fireplace so perfectly and they've just been sitting there empty waiting on these Adonidias to arrive. I am heartbroken to realize they are about an inch or so too wide for the top of the pots. As you can see, they do widen out significantly past the 4 inch lip area, and also offer much more length for growth, so I am attempting to soften the media a bit with a soak to get them in. Have I just made an awful decision? They are so root bound I thought a good soak to loosen them up might be a good idea anyway. Stressing super hard over this.

Resized_20210602_132717.jpeg

20210602_143907.jpg

I don't see how those trees are gonna go into those pots without breaking a lot of roots. 

• Upvote 1

These palms will have enough trouble surviving winter indoors in Missouri without the root torture you plan to inflict on them. Palms hate having their roots hacked up. Even if you manage to stuff them into those pots you will eventually have to smash the pots if you want to up pot your palms in the future. Next time you buy pots make sure the top opening is as wide or wider than the bottom so you won't face having to smash your pots to extract plants. I suggest you measure the palms carefully then look for bigger and better shaped pots. Having palms that size shipped to MO can't be cheap and the poor things deserve to be treated accordingly.

Welcome to PalmTalk

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.