IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Desert Copernicias

aztropic

The Copernicia species has proven itself another winner in the CA and AZ low deserts. Many Caribbean natives seem to do very well here,taking a liking to our dry,alkaline soils.

This is my biggest Copernicia berteroana on the left,that I grew from seed I collected on the IPS sponsored trip to the Dominican Republic in 2006. Rather fast growing,but the most frost tender cope I grow. It can replace an entire canopy in 1 season.

On the right is Copernicia macroglossia,the petticoat palm.(sans petticoat) It has to be tied up due to the planting location,but will be released after it grows a few more feet of trunk.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210531_191305632_HDR.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

A Copernicia baileyana is also a great desert grower. There are a few of these growing around metro Phoenix. Here's mine.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210531_191152721_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Here is Copernicia macroglossa, baileyana, and hospita growing at a private garden in Palm Springs, CA! 

AE72FA61-B81D-4A5B-90A9-5E16979BF0B2.jpeg

AD2CDD3D-1F87-41E7-BD8D-F7C6FD4B0862.jpeg

048BE2F4-CCAE-4ACD-A3A1-6389AD1E092D.jpeg

• Like 5

I'm always up for learning new things!

Copernicia glabrecens is one of the few clumpers of the species. I have trimmed off the pups on several occasions trying to maintain a single trunk,but it just keeps making more.:wacko:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210531_191058283_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

Mesa, Arizona

Copernicia rigida has been an extremely slow grower for me compared to macroglossa,which it is very similar to.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210510_161914_01.jpg

• Like 6

Mesa, Arizona

Copernicia cowellii has been another slow but steady grower for me. I collected seed for these on a 2014 trip to Cuba. This is one of the few palms that actually seems to grow better in the desert,than it does in Florida.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210531_191512522.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

A very blue Copernicia yarey,I grew from seed collected on the 2014 Cuba trip. From the very first sprout,the plant was blue. Only was able to find 3 seeds;and each one sprouted. Amazing how well fresh seed performs...:lol:

IMG_20210531_191222642.jpg

• Like 8

Mesa, Arizona

I also have Copernicia fallaensis and gigas still in pots. They will also be planted in ground in another year or two.

As you can see,Copernicia is another viable species choice for the low deserts. They are tough plants that are very low maintenance once established. Still fairly rare in the nursery trade,it is well worthwhile trying to grow them from seed. I've found Copernicia seeds to be some of the easiest palm seeds to sprout;with nearly every seed coming up a winner! B)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210214_102532976_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210214_102115237_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210214_102236605_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

• 1 year later...
On 5/31/2021 at 9:20 PM, aztropic said:

I also have Copernicia fallaensis and gigas still in pots. They will also be planted in ground in another year or two.

As you can see,Copernicia is another viable species choice for the low deserts. They are tough plants that are very low maintenance once established. Still fairly rare in the nursery trade,it is well worthwhile trying to grow them from seed. I've found Copernicia seeds to be some of the easiest palm seeds to sprout;with nearly every seed coming up a winner! B)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20210214_102532976_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210214_102115237_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210214_102236605_HDR.jpg

1.5 years and these are in pots, ground, dead, sold, stolen?

Amazing collection of very slow growing species even in warm, humid Southern Florida.

What you look for is what is looking