IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growing Bismarck, Queen, Foxtail, Royal and more in Zone 8b N. FL.

D Palm

I live in N Florida in between Lake City, Fl and Jacksonville, Fl. I planted this Royal behind my red shed last summer. It took some leaf damage but had since put out a new spear this spring. I clipped the fronds and moved it to a sunny spot. The root ball has grown about 3x the size and I plan on moving it close to the south side facing part of my house to help protect it more. I mulched  the base for winter and threw a blanket over it a couple of times. I travel for work so most of the time these palms are not protected.  The only spear pull I had were the queens but they are all nicely recovering and everything is very thirsty waiting for summer rains.

3BC10DD8-F781-4D2B-8E69-B20822444D13.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Next is the Bismarck, I have had it in a wet spot for 2 winters and going on the third Spring. No spear pull ever. I only mulch the base and peroxide the crown/trunk when it sits in water. I clipped the damage fronds which were mostly at the 3 & 9 position. Has pushed opened 2 spears since March and responds well to heavy watering during this drought. I have 2 smaller Bismarck’s I planted last summer, they are both ok, one received the brunt of N winds and part of the spear broke off from rot. The other is really well, just cosmetic damage on 3&9 fronds. They are all currently growing. This is a pic of my oldest Bismarck.

62015EF1-344B-4C22-A82B-3CDCCCC39542.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Next are my queens. They have had spear pull both winters but recover quickly with peroxide in the crown. I only mulch around the base in the fall. I also fertilize my palms with granular regularly and use fertilome root stimulator when plant, transplanting, or feel like I need to wake the palm up for spring. The tiny queen in the back I just bought from Lowe’s at a discount due to be heavily damaged.

E85F046A-D480-4B4F-A63E-7D4535271BC8.jpeg

752B6EFD-7800-487C-8994-D5BA81C7F150.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Lastly the Foxtail, it does not like any kind of frost what so ever. It took heavy damage when I was traveling and unable to protect it. It has recovered this spring and opened 3 new fronds. I clipped off the damaged fronds. This may also be a move closer to the house. Lastly I do not know what the actual low temps were. The forecasts showed many nights in the 20’s and some in the low 20’s. I have lived in this county since ‘08 and have only seen the temp drop to 18 degrees once. I also have Sylvester, Pindo, Washingtonia in which I only fertilize.

F4F9F4EE-28DD-4110-8EBA-525BA2C9AF9E.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Everything looks really nice! I have 4 Queens in the ground and one Bismarckia in the ground, the bizzy was brought to life over the winter and has been planted as a strap leaf seedling. Should be easy to protect over the next couple of winters since it will be small, unless of course it takes off like a rocket :D

I never had a full spear pull from my Queens, but they did have damage similar to yours just not as bad, otherwise two of them took on some minor damage to the fronds, they are growing nicely now and pushing new fronds.

I planted a foxtail in a protected spot near the house, this will be an interesting experiment.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Nice palms @D Palm.  In my experience spear pull on smaller Queens happen more often after a hard freeze, doesn't matter if it never got below 28 for a low.  Queens recover quite easily though.  I've only seen a few Bismark in the area and none trunking but that could be an availability issue.  Hopefully your foxtail is planted in the warmest location in the yard.  I had one in Jax and like you traveled for work and unable to protect it, 2010 winter did it in.  So you will have to protect it from time to time. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2021 at 9:51 PM, The7thLegend said:

Nice palms @D Palm.  In my experience spear pull on smaller Queens happen more often after a hard freeze, doesn't matter if it never got below 28 for a low.  Queens recover quite easily though.  I've only seen a few Bismark in the area and none trunking but that could be an availability issue.  Hopefully your foxtail is planted in the warmest location in the yard.  I had one in Jax and like you traveled for work and unable to protect it, 2010 winter did it in.  So you will have to protect it from time to time. 

I agree,  all of my queens ended up with spear pull but look really nice right now! I am dreading trying to protect this foxtail again in the upcoming winter…

• Like 1

Great looking palms there, I wish you the best.  I picked up a couple queens while I was in Orlando.  They won't be long term where I live but they do have reasonable cold tolerance so I'm hoping to get a few years out of them between the greenhouse and protection.  

How tall is that Queen? 

I also looked at the foxtails, they're so gorgeous, but based on what I've read, they're just too frost sensitive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jesse PNW said:

Great looking palms there, I wish you the best.  I picked up a couple queens while I was in Orlando.  They won't be long term where I live but they do have reasonable cold tolerance so I'm hoping to get a few years out of them between the greenhouse and protection.  

How tall is that Queen? 

I also looked at the foxtails, they're so gorgeous, but based on what I've read, they're just too frost sensitive. 

I think the growing point is at about 7’ feet now, still no clean trunk on the queen yet.

• Like 3

I need to take measurements on mine. My largest one may not be the largest anymore. The large one in the front yard has a lower growing point now than the one in the backyard, and the backyard queen is double the thickness of the one in the front yard. Although, the one in the front yard seems to have a slightly better cold tolerance despite being exposed to direct north winds, unlike the one in the backyard. Very weird situation lol

• Like 3

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

• 1 month later...

Don’t think I added this spot in initial photo shoot. Royal, Pindos, Sago, Mahoi Banana and Ice cream banana in pot. 2 washies and Pygmy in the ground.

415E9198-5A51-4BD5-A75E-B0D0F3C4D984.jpeg

• Like 3

Added silver saw palmetto, high plateau coconut palm, Archontophoenix cunninghamiana this year. Also is a pic of Sabal uresana I germinated from seed summer 2020 and placed directly in the ground.

03A5473F-0434-4854-A680-08FAAF268961.jpeg

EED8B0DA-F2C5-43A8-8DFB-C094A01B9A92.jpeg

16FDD187-78E5-461C-A037-9133DAAB1282.jpeg

9B4DB649-9C07-4404-97BD-261B4B746D71.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Nice growth! The Bismarckia looks amazing, and your biggest Queen has put out some decent trunk width further up from the ground. Hoping for a warm winter!

Edited by JLM
  • Like 1

@JLM thanks! I am sure some of these will be killed by February….Looking for a Pseudophoenix sargentii to add in the spring and will probably be a replacement for what dies. 

• Like 1

@D Palm nice collection you have there.  Gotta ask though, why no mules? 

Also noted you're in Glen St Mary.  There's a joint First Coast Palm Society and CFPACS event at Kyle Brown's place in two weeks.  He has a nice collection of palms and cycads and it would be worth the visit. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Nice Pindo! I have a big one as well and really like this palm. I agree with Scott on mules of you can find any as they should do okay where you are. I see you are definitely zone pushing on some but hey you have to try.

• Like 1

The reason there is no mule palm is the ones I have came across are super pricey.  My goal is to attempt cross pollinating my own mules once the queens are mature.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2021 at 2:30 PM, D Palm said:

Don’t think I added this spot in initial photo shoot. Royal, Pindos, Sago, Mahoi Banana and Ice cream banana in pot. 2 washies and Pygmy in the ground.

415E9198-5A51-4BD5-A75E-B0D0F3C4D984.jpeg

I have some huge ice cream banana plants about 15 ft tall. There are 4 clusters of bananas that’ll be ready in another month or two. I have a small royal, large foxtail, and newly planted Christmas palm. I live in St. Augustine, FL. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/8/2021 at 1:12 PM, JDawgs said:

I have some huge ice cream banana plants about 15 ft tall. There are 4 clusters of bananas that’ll be ready in another month or two. I have a small royal, large foxtail, and newly planted Christmas palm. I live in St. Augustine, FL. 

I had one in the ground last year. The cold destroyed foliage but pseudo trunk remained and started growing in the Spring. My Mahoi died to the ground and was a huge mess so I dug the roots/bulbs and threw them in that large pot. Now I have 7 Ice Cream Bananas that have been separated from mom this year.