normane

Is my Bismarck nobilis salvageable?

normane

I had this bismarck nobilis planted about 3-4 weeks ago in my backyard. Unfortunately, I was away for a week after it was planted and it may not have received enough

water while I was away.  Do you think this tree is salvageable? Any suggestions?

-normane

bismarck1.jpg

bismarck2.jpg

tacobender

They are very sensitive to any disturbance on the roots when planted.

If it was watered well when planted I doubt if it is water related. They are fairly drought tolerant.

Reyes Vargas

How does the center spear look like.

Edited by Reyes Vargas

Billeb

Don’t give up on it. Start the consistent watering schedule, mark the spear and continue to monitor the growth as @Reyes Vargas mentioned. That thing is mature enough to take some abuse. It may look ratty for awhile but I think it’ll turn around. Crossing fingers

Merlyn

As long as the nursery and installers didn't mess up the root ball, it should recover.  I'd remove the straps in there, they aren't helping transpiration loss or anything, and just getting in the way.  Take a sharpie and mark a horizontal line across the spear and the adjacent fronds, so you can tell if the spear is growing.  In the first photo the spear looks silver-blue-green, so it probably is still healthy and growing.

normane

Appreciate the comments and suggestions. I will mark the spear and keep watering and hope for the best!

• Like 1

D Palm

I would prune some of the fronds to help reduce stress. That soil looks like pure sand. I have 3 and 1 in pure sand always looks less better than other 2. The one I have in swampy conditions actually looks the best. I may actually move mine in pure sand before it gets too big. Mine are no where near as big as yours. Beautiful specimen btw. Also try applying some root stimulator and epsolm salt. Mine love that stuff. 

Edited by D Palm

Jim in Los Altos

Was this palm field grown and dug up and transplanted to your property? If so, it will have a long period of sulking at best. There are correct methods for moving these and just digging and moving without proper preparation (root pruning several months in advance to encourage new root development prior to digging) the palm may or may not recover. Keep it well watered in the meantime and keep fingers crossed. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Upvote 2

The7thLegend

I'd add mulch... at least for now to retain moisture.  It's been a very dry, windy, hot month in FL but it will probably make it once rain & humidity become more constant.  Beautiful palm good luck!

OC2Texaspalmlvr

@Jim in Los Altos Hmmmm I never heard of being able to root prune a Bizzie. I have always been scared to hurt the roots coming out of the pots before I have planted haha 

T J 

PalmatierMeg

I remember when we planted our 3g Bizzies, we sliced off every pot with a razor knife to keep from disturbing the roots. Never a good idea to move one but if you have to:

1. Start at least 4 months in advance

2. Trench one side of a square of several feet + per side with trunk in center. Dig trench as deep as you can. Wait for a month.

3. Month 2: Trench another side of the square. Wait one month

4. Month 3. Trench third side of square. Wait.

5. Month 4. Trench fourth side. Because this is a Bizzy, wait another month

6. Undercut the square, then carefully lift palm and rootball out of ground, wrap in burlap to secure rootball, then transport to new location. Have the new planting hole pre-dug and large enough. Plant and water in.

The purpose of extended trenching is to give the palm time to heal/grow cut roots over time rather than hacking it out of the ground and maybe inflicting fatal damage.

I trenched an Areca catechu Dwarf before repotting it after it barely survived the winter of 2009/10 in the ground. I did it in the middle of summer rainy season so it wouldn't have to face cold and drought. You need to plan and allow lots of time to transplant a palm that's been in the ground for a while.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

normane

I learned a lot from this posts. Thanks to all!

Jim in Los Altos
On 6/1/2021 at 3:05 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Jim in Los Altos Hmmmm I never heard of being able to root prune a Bizzie. I have always been scared to hurt the roots coming out of the pots before I have planted haha 

T J 

It’s the only way to greatly improve the chances of survival on field grown Bismarkia. Not root pruning a few months before digging and instead just digging them up, sets them up for severe stress or death. Root pruning is just for side roots cut 360°around about two feet down and about two to three feet out from the trunk. Doing this a few months before digging allows the palm to have dozens of new roots forming at the trunk’s base before being dug up. This only applies to field grown palms, not one growing in pots. Potted Bismarkia roots should be handled very gently.

OC2Texaspalmlvr

@Jim in Los Altos Ty sir I learn something everyday here on PT. @PalmatierMeg went in great depth in another post on how to do so successfully. I hope I never have to move a Bizzie personally haha. 

T J