IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Desert willow from seed

Reyes Vargas

Does anyone have any experience trying to grow these from seed?  I have tried a couple times and every time they germinate just fine but after a couple weeks they all start dying.  Any help would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Does anyone have any experience trying to grow these from seed?  I have tried a couple times and every time they germinate just fine but after a couple weeks they all start dying.  Any help would be appreciated.

Use nearly pure wash/ river grit.. NO organic anything, except maybe a couple pinches of Coco peat in the soil mix.. Like many things that grow in washes here, these have a tendency to damp off if the soil they're in stays too wet. Can also water seed /seedlings with water containing a product called Actinovate ( -or something similar- since it appears the price of this stuff has gone WAYY up since the last time i purchased/ used it )

Think these can be propagated from cuttings under mist as well. Haven't tried this myself yet.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

No personal experience, but they tend to germinate somewhat freely around adult trees. It’s usually quite gravelly where the grow in my neck of the woods. 
If I were to give it a shot, that’s the advice I would follow from @Silas_Sancona. I’d likely grab some gravel/grit from beneath them (or similar).

Side note: I love desert willow “litter” in the breeze. Quite colorful. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

They are easy to germinate, but like Nathan says they dampen off quite easily.  I'm currently trying a second batch.  The local trees just started blooming around here!  She oak (Casuarina equisetifolia) from seed seem to have the same issues.

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 4

Jon Sunder

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a love hate relationship with my desert willow...  mostly because it's getting too big... that.. and the litter. Its a super messy tree and its pruned every year.  I'm thinking about chopping it down but I haven't brought myself to do it.  The blooms are outstanding.

20210603_195909.jpg

20210603_195914.jpg

• Like 7

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

4 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

I'm having a love hate relationship with my desert willow...  mostly because it's getting too big... that.. and the litter. Its a super messy tree and its pruned every year.  I'm thinking about chopping it down but I haven't brought myself to do it.  The blooms are outstanding.

20210603_195909.jpg

20210603_195914.jpg

They can drop a little bit of stuff for sure but no worse than things like Bougainvillea or Tecoma. ( Bougainvillea flowers will blow into the front  yard in drifts during monsoon windstorms, from 2 or 3 blocks away ) Flowers are worth it though, esp some of the differently colored cultivars.

I myself might lift the skirt on it a little and plant other smaller native perennials/ shrubs/ cacti below it.  Would help catch/ collect some of the spent flowers / leaves.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SailorBold said:

20210603_195909.jpg

20210603_195914.jpg

Is that a recent picture?  Of your tree has seeds I would like to buy some from you.  I don't mind the mess.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Is that a recent picture?  Of your tree has seeds I would like to buy some from you.  I don't mind the mess.

Reyes, if you want seed, Can access several different varieties.  Noticed many local trees are loaded w/ pods and should be ripening shortly.  Been thinking about trying some myself.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

@Silas_Sancona I would definitely be interested in some seeds.  I can reimburse you for shipping.

No need for any $ for seeds.. Will let you know when they're ready.. Pretty sure i still have your Address.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

13 hours ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Yes.. took that picture a couple days ago...  sorry I can't help you... not because I don't want to.. but because it doesn't produce any seed pods.  This is a 'Timeless Beauty'.  Its less messy lol....I guess it's produced by cuttings??  Maybe Nathan knows.. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Reyes, if you want seed, Can access several different varieties.  Noticed many local trees are loaded w/ pods and should be ripening shortly.  Been thinking about trying some myself.

Oooh... get him the white one....and the burgundy one.. 

1 hour ago, SailorBold said:

Oooh... get him the white one....and the burgundy one.. 

Can't say for sure if i've seen the completely white cultivar.. will have to check again. Looks really nice.  There are some really light lavender ones around, similar to these i'll collect seed off though.
DSCN1068.thumb.JPG.92781e74dbf56c250482563a58730338.JPG

. Burgundy / mixed are the most common of course. Seedlings will vary from how the parents look.
DSCN1072.JPG.2a353ff7c2d3f59c3b4bb15e0bc62d22.JPG

DSC09828.thumb.JPG.34cec88a829903d7f67100fbe8208148.JPG

DSC09798.thumb.JPG.4e4461b60139a4df593325dce1228fba.JPG

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Can't say for sure if i've seen the completely white cultivar.. will have to check again. Looks really nice.  There are some really light lavender ones around, similar to these i'll collect seed off though.
DSCN1068.thumb.JPG.92781e74dbf56c250482563a58730338.JPG

. Burgundy / mixed are the most common of course. Seedlings will vary from how the parents look.
DSCN1072.JPG.2a353ff7c2d3f59c3b4bb15e0bc62d22.JPG

DSC09828.thumb.JPG.34cec88a829903d7f67100fbe8208148.JPG

DSC09798.thumb.JPG.4e4461b60139a4df593325dce1228fba.JPG

Oooh those look nice.  I'm getting excited.  Now if only I can get them to survive after they germinate.  I appreciate it Nathan. 

• Upvote 2

Here is the only white variety I know of... its growing on the side of a road.. have no idea where the parent trees are.. all the others in the area are pink. These things grow all over here.. the seed pods are from last year.. but ill go back to see if I can find some seeds. Hummingbirds like em!

20210605_192224.jpg

20210605_192239.jpg

20210605_192234.jpg

Edited by SailorBold
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Here is the only white variety I know of... its growing on the side of a road.. have no idea where the parent trees are.. all the others in the area are pink. These things grow all over here.. the seed pods are from last year.. but ill go back to see if I can find some seeds. Hummingbirds like em!

20210605_192224.jpg

20210605_192239.jpg

20210605_192234.jpg

:greenthumb: That's a nice selection..

I think this is " Hope "  is the only "selected" white cultivar, as far as i'm aware.. Have seen pictures of other plants from habitat on iNat. which have white flowers, but those always have some degree of pink in them, or lack much yellow color in the throat. Was a nursery there in N.M. that had offered it but looks like they're sold out atm.  Darn it, lol.

• Like 1

@Reyes Vargas

Went out to a nearby park full of Desert Willow to check for seed.. Plenty of pods hanging from most of the trees there / others i observed in neighborhoods between the Park and the house, but probably a couple more weeks before they're ripe enough to collect pods ( still green ).. Will be out there again a couple times this month / while i'm still here to check on them, and to collect seed off a few of the Mesquite there. Keeping an eye on Desert Willow in a couple other locations nearby also. Will keep you updated..

In the mean time, a few more pics. of some of the trees there for everyone's Sunday enjoyment..

DSC03881.JPG.cb5dbfb885018dce8e7c7e21c65079c2.JPG

DSC03882.thumb.JPG.0b5b7a16332a9a526dc1e7e33ad19c8e.JPG

DSC03885.JPG.cea22ff09d0562efde81e4f2ab54c507.JPG

DSC03887.JPG.1d12b7e3250ef80a4a09c452b13b0556.JPG

DSC03888.thumb.JPG.047602dd7feb0c2f91a875155153a3e9.JPG

DSC03891.JPG.4829871cedd851da49e17499a78cace0.JPG

DSC03892.thumb.JPG.3291ca75cf804355cb34d4eeefe7db5f.JPG

DSC03895.thumb.JPG.f71b94ce88e669bfd0857bda852c879d.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

collect seed off a few of the Mesquite

OMG those look amazing.  Thank you for that Sunday enjoyment. 

Speaking of mesquite trees.  Here are the seedlings of the mesquite tree seeds you sent me.20210606_113155.thumb.jpg.717f16f9e58220ea9be295c73a861bd3.jpg

It's almost time to repot them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Reyes Vargas said:

OMG those look amazing.  Thank you for that Sunday enjoyment. 

Speaking of mesquite trees.  Here are the seedlings of the mesquite tree seeds you sent me.20210606_113155.thumb.jpg.717f16f9e58220ea9be295c73a861bd3.jpg

It's almost time to repot them.

:greenthumb::greenthumb:  Appreciate the update.  They look Great Reyes..  Definitely time to pot em up, or plant out a few.. That's what i did w/ the batch i'd started once they reached that size. Took out the runts once i knew which of the 3 seedlings were taking off..  It's now almost taller than the 6' stake i'm training it against.

Btw, the Kallstroemia seed i'd sent? Since you've been getting good rains lately, perfect time to get those down too..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Reyes Vargas  A minor update.. When out checking for fresh seed back on the 6th, i collected an older dried out pod containing some seeds off one of the trees, just to play around with.

Looking closely at the individual seeds themselves, noticed you could kind of tell which seeds might still be good vs. those which would likely not sprout..  anyway, threw a few in a pot  and have about half a dozen germinating... We'll see if they keep growing. Heat this week is already starting to take out seedling stuff ( Under my covered patio.. THE perfect example of how nasty our heat / dry air is ). 

Sending you strictly the freshest seed i get my hands on, but thought i'd throw this out there for general information purposes.

Might make a quick trip out there this weekend / early next week once the heat backs off a little to check on the ripening pods again. Some other magenta/ purple - flowered trees closer to the house i need to check on also.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

anyway, threw a few in a pot  and have about half a dozen germinating.

What soil did you use to germinate them?  I'm thinking of trying some in some peat moss that I bake in the oven to kill any bacteria that could cause damping off.  There has to be a way.

24 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

What soil did you use to germinate them?  I'm thinking of trying some in some peat moss that I bake in the oven to kill any bacteria that could cause damping off.  There has to be a way.

Wash Grit / coarse sand ( makes up a certain % of the grit collected in the wash ), Turface, Pumice... Standard mix i use for these ..and pretty much anything else from rocky, arid areas / stuff that grows near washes.. No organics other than a couple pinches of Cocopeat in the entire mix ( 1 gal containers in the case of community pots like this ).
DSC04189.thumb.JPG.98e53a39e20c8aaf8965afea6b4872fa.JPG

Idea is any excess water drains off almost immediately, but that the soil will retain some moisture between watering, & allow plenty of air flow thru the mix.  When i water pots like this, i'll punch nail holes in say a 8-10 oz plastic container Sour Cream / spreadable butter would come in. Hose would be too much ( esp at the just past germinated stage ).

1 yr old Guaiacum coulteri seedlings in the same basic mix.
DSC03905.thumb.JPG.ad02eafff5728c228d1417cd47c1b0fb.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

@Reyes Vargas

After a lot of waiting and watching various trees,  expect a package of seed soon..  ( You'll have plenty of seed to play around with.. ) Pass em' around once you get some going. 

Pods off darker Maroon / Purple, and the lighter Pink / Magenta specimens are grouped /labeled separately. 

Look forward to seeing how they germinate / progress..

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

@Reyes Vargas

After a lot of waiting and watching various trees,  expect a package of seed soon..  ( You'll have plenty of seed to play around with.. ) Pass em' around once you get some going. 

Pods off darker Maroon / Purple, and the lighter Pink / Magenta specimens are grouped /labeled separately. 

Look forward to seeing how they germinate / progress..

Thank you I really appreciate it.  I will definitely keep you updated on the progress.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Thank you I really appreciate it.  I will definitely keep you updated on the progress.

:greenthumb:  Sounds good.. Just wanted to let you know i hadn't forgotten about getting some to ya.. Darn things took forever for the pods to finish ripening, lol.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An update on seed batch # 2 which i'd allowed the rain to germinate:

DSC06502.thumb.JPG.f5b12b462423b1271f5cea6a22fd977f.JPG

DSC06503.JPG.afa96b4dc86415e18e1fe9348cae8ff5.JPG

Not bad, so far..  Further along ( and healthier ) than the first batch for sure.   Using stones to help prop them up after constantly getting beat down in the rain / when watering the area they've been somewhat hidden in for the last couple months ( which stretched them out a little as well, They'll straighten up more over time. ).   We'll see how things go heading into the fall..

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Some flowers as this year's show kicks off.. 

IMG_0125.thumb.JPG.453518735602a11bdb53f40835580692.JPG

IMG_0130.thumb.JPG.2486940a7ebc9b5c319d647560473414.JPG

IMG_0131.thumb.JPG.2c96da83ac0041bc525be6274bf237f6.JPG

IMG_0133.thumb.JPG.0f15c3363130e3f1a71d99639272a816.JPG

IMG_0187.thumb.JPG.9afb746c730e78ff15ab41f36a8c5ecc.JPG

IMG_0189.thumb.JPG.5b7259d3685ff97e912d873aecb3cc90.JPG

IMG_0190.thumb.JPG.b11b54847688e4dd531c660172375f21.JPG

Some notes on seedlings as well:  Noticed all of mine that survived went dormant last winter looking pretty wimpy.  As they are greening up, growth this year looks a lot stronger, though still nothing special.. We'll see how they do thru the upcoming summer.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Are there any experiences with freezing temperatures? On Facebook a guy from Hungary wrote, his Desert Willow survived -16°C/3°F and long term freezing temps. If it's that hardy I would try it too. Are there any varieties which are more hardy and still colorful? Do juvenile/adult trees also accept normal garden soil?

When is the best time to get fresh seeds? Any suggestions for a reliable source?

Thanks

Eckhard

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

3 hours ago, Palmensammler said:

Are there any experiences with freezing temperatures? On Facebook a guy from Hungary wrote, his Desert Willow survived -16°C/3°F and long term freezing temps. If it's that hardy I would try it too. Are there any varieties which are more hardy and still colorful? Do juvenile/adult trees also accept normal garden soil?

When is the best time to get fresh seeds? Any suggestions for a reliable source?

Thanks

Eckhard

Survive down to 7B areas of the So you should be alright..  All varieties would have the same hardiness, no matter what color the flowers are. They will drop all foliage in cold winter areas though..

Normal, un- amended native  soil is best.. Remember, they grow along gritty / gravel filled washes, not places where the soil is rich in organics.

Being in the Bignonia / Tecoma family, Fresh seed is best,  though i'm going to try seed i collected last summer to gauge if there is any longer term viability.

Different trees will shed seeds at different times, but from roughly now - September is the best time to collect seed.  

No idea who'd offer seed ( fresh seed ) there in Europe..

Good article here: https://arboretum.arizona.edu/articles/desert-willow-delicate-and-durable-desert

** A note on seedlings,  ..they can be touchy.  Ones i started last year croaked. Definitely seems like they don't like much water or full sun exposure..

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 2:37 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Some notes on seedlings as well:  Noticed all of mine that survived went dormant last winter looking pretty wimpy.  As they are greening up, growth this year looks a lot stronger, though still nothing special.. We'll see how they do thru the upcoming summer.

I've had no luck with the seeds you sent me.  They all germinate but they all succumb to damping off.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

I've had no luck with the seeds you sent me.  They all germinate but they all succumb to damping off.

Going to be talking w/ some people i trust about this subject soon .. Had Desert Willow seed pop up in the yard last summer ..but accidentally pulled them :rage::wacko:  so i know they'll grow..   

Half of the seedlings i started last year did fine up until last month when i hit them with water after a hot day..  All leaves burned up by the next morning.. Completely gone within 3.. Were just starting to form wood < on the tiny  " trunks " ..Grr!

• Like 1

Someone willing to send fresh desert willow seeds, maybe together with different Yucca seeds to Germany? I would pay shippping.

Looking for fresh seed of yuccas like brevifolia, cernua, faxoniana, necopina, thompsoniana, coahuilensis....... and hybrids of.

Thanks Eckhard 

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

• 10 months later...
On 6/5/2021 at 7:02 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

:greenthumb: That's a nice selection..

I think this is " Hope "  is the only "selected" white cultivar, as far as i'm aware.. Have seen pictures of other plants from habitat on iNat. which have white flowers, but those always have some degree of pink in them, or lack much yellow color in the throat. Was a nursery there in N.M. that had offered it but looks like they're sold out atm.  Darn it, lol.

On 6/5/2021 at 6:36 PM, SailorBold said:

20210605_192224.jpg

20210605_192239.jpg

20210605_192234.jpg

@SailorBold Out and about earlier and guess what i stumbled upon at one nursery...  Guess " Hope " isn't the only white Flowered Desert Willow in circulation..

Not sure if it is the same one as the one you'd posted awhile back, but very close match.

IMG_1356.thumb.JPG.49a93b3849e73b0965cb03441f698df3.JPG

IMG_1355.thumb.JPG.98b60748bc7f5da882f04abb4428c925.JPG

IMG_1357.thumb.JPG.76d94ef7332ded219f5f48f15ba65b12.JPG

IMG_1358.thumb.JPG.876d53c8524da52c399786a5aa5f0981.JPG

• Like 1

'Summore Desert Willow to enjoy  ..As the season starts..

IMG_1483.thumb.JPG.409f09326766a07d1317d2dc4da03afe.JPG

IMG_1484.thumb.JPG.28013898cae999e0f23d28f31dece14e.JPG

'Pretty niice when paired w/ Tecoma stans  flowering at the same time too..

IMG_1490.thumb.JPG.de1f62be2efaa83c35613fb1ae199f20.JPG

IMG_1507.thumb.JPG.5b689e362984d7192cc83eb21c989b10.JPG

IMG_1491.thumb.JPG.fdbd81117f60ad76ba9a42b68e4ba321.JPG

IMG_1492.thumb.JPG.3520a4eefccf24a01929a64e40b62790.JPG

IMG_1493.thumb.JPG.eab5c179598342931769907399f58028.JPG

IMG_1494.thumb.JPG.b5f7e69393ada72e56477e360a4bbf17.JPG

IMG_1495.thumb.JPG.aaf29ed424e4bba014a0230083d3a821.JPG

IMG_1497.thumb.JPG.9abdef7ace5d8796086d0aec6d3aaaff.JPG

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My burgundy cultivar of desert willow is now at maximum display and attracting pollinators all day long. 

Chilopsis_linearis2023.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/26/2021 at 12:44 PM, Reyes Vargas said:

Direct seed in place, in fall/winter with fresh seed. Water once and not again.  Not a good choice for pots due to the taproot. Full sun from germination.  

Even watering large planted trees can make the wood weak(breaks in wind). 

And pure white, it does exist. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 2:47 PM, Palmensammler said:

Thanks

Eckhard

Pink and lavender survived -34f in Moriarty, NM  2/2011. 

All colors survived -10f in my neighborhood at the same time.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 7:36 PM, SailorBold said:

20210605_192224.jpg

20210605_192239.jpg

20210605_192234.jpg

Those are native from Sandia Pueblo to Santo Domingo.  Our little secret. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jwitt said:

Those are native from Sandia Pueblo to Santo Domingo.  Our little secret. 

I had no idea! That's cool!

• Like 1