Sign in to follow this  
Eric in Orlando

Tahina spectabilis at Leu Gardens

Eric in Orlando

We obtained Tahina spectabilis seed from the first batch that was offered and received them in April 2008, We have planted 7 Tahina palms at Leu Gardens from this seed batch. Almost all of them were planted near other Madagascar natives.

1. acc# 090230, planted July 2009, located in the Palm Garden, growing next to a Hyphaene coriacea (formerly H. shatan) from Madagascar seed. 

tah1.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

Eric in Orlando

2.  acc# 150613, planted July 2015, located in the Palm Garden, located near a grouping of Bismarckia and a Beccariophoenix alfredii

tah2.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Eric in Orlando

3. acc.# 140265, located in the Palm Garden, planted May 2014

tah3.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Eric in Orlando

4. acc# 120046, located in the Idea Garden near a Bismarckia and a Beccariophoenix madagascariensis, planted April 2012

tah4.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Eric in Orlando

Here are specimens 5 and 6, planted in April 2012, growing in the Tropical Stream Garden and flanking a Bismarckia nobilis

tah5.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Eric in Orlando

5. acc# 120047, planted April 2012

tah6.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Eric in Orlando

6. acc# 120048, planted April 2012

tah7.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Eric in Orlando

7. acc# 110485, planted July 2011, growing in the Tropical Stream Garden between 2 Ravenala madagascariensis. There is also Satranala decussilvae, Dypsis mananjarensis, Beccariophoenix alfredii and Beccariophoenix fenestralis nearby. 

tah8.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

Eric, how wonderful! Leu has taken a huge step toward preserving this endangered palm. Do any other botanical gardens have them?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Valhallalla

Magnificent palms! Thanks for sharing.

To answer Meg's question, here's one at Fairchild New Years Day 2020. I bet they have more than one. It has probably grown an inch or two since then:

8Ly6Tjr.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

realarch

Quite the collection Eric, a worthwhile investment. There are many here on Hawaii Island and I’m sure that when the time comes, collectors will be sharing pollen from disparate specimens.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Fusca
1 hour ago, realarch said:

I’m sure that when the time comes, collectors will be sharing pollen from disparate specimens.

Let's hope so!  :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr

Make sure to show them off to the folks on the tour, @Eric in Orlando :)

• Upvote 2

Central Floridave

Nice looking palms!   I have an original plant from 2008 seed in the yard. But, it just has two leaf and growing slowly if not at all.   I never water or fertilize it so that may be why.  Plus, not in full sun.  I really don't want a large palm where I planted it so i'm happy it's stunted!   Pretty palm. Looks like a white elephant palm while it is small. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Merlyn
13 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

We obtained Tahina spectabilis seed from the first batch that was offered and received them in April 2008, We have planted 7 Tahina palms at Leu Gardens from this seed batch. Almost all of them were planted near other Madagascar natives.

Great photos, I found the stream garden ones the last time I visited in March.  Now I need to get back over there before it's too blazing hot and go see the others!

• Upvote 1

TomJ

@Eric in Orlando Have you seen any cold damage on these after Winter.

Eric in Orlando
On 5/25/2021 at 7:39 PM, kinzyjr said:

Make sure to show them off to the folks on the tour, @Eric in Orlando :)

We will try to get by them all on the tour!

• Upvote 1

Eric in Orlando
20 hours ago, TomJ said:

@Eric in Orlando Have you seen any cold damage on these after Winter.

The coldest it has been since they were in the ground is 28-29F,  only have had minor burn. One was in the ground during the 2009-10 winter. It was small but only had minor burn too.

• Like 3