• Similar Content

• TheMadScientist
      By TheMadScientist
      October 2011, I had purchased this from a "Palm Talker".  It seemed to take a couple of years  before it was showing any growth.  I liked the 24 deg. F low, no weapons, it could take the heat / low humidity I have to deal with.  My current photo is more of a close up as it has a large P.  Theophrasti dominating attention behind it.  The "corn cob on a stick" looking seed pod presented itself last year, but I didn't see any pollen being offered to it.  This year the seed pod was fully developed, but again, I wasn't seeing the pollen contribution.  The last week of September, individual seeds would raise from the cob, then get released.  The seeds collected look like Halloween Candy Corn and that fruit is easily removed.  I had concerns that these would not germinate, but in the last 3 days.....4 of the 21 seeds sown have started The Circle of Life.  7 weeks to germinate in my converted ice chest, 40 watt drop light, lid raised 1" and it sees 80-85 deg. F 24/7 which I water each day due to evaporation.

• ShaneHarding
      By ShaneHarding
      Hi guys I’m fairly new to tropical gardening started this year in may and I have fallen head first into things and have learnt an awful lot already . 

I've already got 2 x Phoenix canariensis  - 5x Washingtonia robustas and a trachycarpus fortunei which are doing really well but I want to branch out abit and see what’s possible to grow in my area!
      I live in the coastal village of Braunton in North Devon - south west England zone 9b and I’m around 10 meters above sea level .
      I'm wondering if anyone has tried to grow syagrus romanzoffiana santa catarina (supposedly hardy queen palm ) and Phoenix sylvestris (silver date palm) I’m the south of England or even England in general with any success? 

thanks in advance 
      Shane 
    • Tracy
      By Tracy
      I pulled some of the purple seeds off my Burretiokentia hapala, cleaned them and dropped them in a zip lock baggy with some damp perlite and sphagnum moss.  I'm using a little heat, wrapping the bag in foil and leaving it on top of my water heater).  I'm curious what typical sprouting time is on this species if anyone has used this technique with this species. 

• Christopher Dillman
      By Christopher Dillman
      Many thanks for the insights on this board. Special thanks to @PalmatierMeg for identifying this palm's condition.
      Looking for advice on a 30 gal or 45 gal palm size to go in the place of this stunted queen. This will be planted in Southern California, around Oct.
      Something that can grow to get 'bushy' and provide good coverage, not get taller than 6 or 7 ft OAS.
      In a spot where it will get full sun from morning till eve.
      This wall is being replaced with cinder block concrete. I love the Jubaea in this spot, but worried the trunk over time will get too bulbous and risk pushing it out. Maybe I'm wrong.
      Open for ideas and favorites!
      Christopher 

• Will
      By Will
      Hey,
      I planted some Sabal minor and Jubaea chilensis seeds around 2 months ago. They havent germinated yet, thats why I would like to ask if I did something wrong. Is it the way I try to germinate them? Maybe the moisture in the box? Do they need light to germinate?
      So many questions