Sign in to follow this  
GardnerDylan6a

Queen palm germination

GardnerDylan6a

Hello I have some sun dried Queen palm seeds with what looks like the seed pulp still attached and I was wondering if anyone knows what my next step should be to germinate them.

809BF854-E2A2-44A3-AB5D-CBDE9843ADBF.jpeg

Edited by GardnerDylan6a

Jim in Los Altos

In my yard you just watch them drop from the Queen palms and in a couple months there’s a crop of Queen “weeds” everywhere. 

But seriously, if you want to germinate Queen palm seeds, find fresh ones, not sun dried ones, peal off pulp and place in any decent potting mix and keep moist and as warm as possible. If you cover the container with clear plastic wrap and place in the sun outdoors, thesoil wi heat up nicely. Just keep it wet. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• ShaneHarding
      By ShaneHarding
      Hi guys I’m fairly new to tropical gardening started this year in may and I have fallen head first into things and have learnt an awful lot already . 

I've already got 2 x Phoenix canariensis  - 5x Washingtonia robustas and a trachycarpus fortunei which are doing really well but I want to branch out abit and see what’s possible to grow in my area!
      I live in the coastal village of Braunton in North Devon - south west England zone 9b and I’m around 10 meters above sea level .
      I'm wondering if anyone has tried to grow syagrus romanzoffiana santa catarina (supposedly hardy queen palm ) and Phoenix sylvestris (silver date palm) I’m the south of England or even England in general with any success? 

thanks in advance 
      Shane 
    • Tracy
      By Tracy
      I pulled some of the purple seeds off my Burretiokentia hapala, cleaned them and dropped them in a zip lock baggy with some damp perlite and sphagnum moss.  I'm using a little heat, wrapping the bag in foil and leaving it on top of my water heater).  I'm curious what typical sprouting time is on this species if anyone has used this technique with this species. 

• Christopher Dillman
      By Christopher Dillman
      Many thanks for the insights on this board. Special thanks to @PalmatierMeg for identifying this palm's condition.
      Looking for advice on a 30 gal or 45 gal palm size to go in the place of this stunted queen. This will be planted in Southern California, around Oct.
      Something that can grow to get 'bushy' and provide good coverage, not get taller than 6 or 7 ft OAS.
      In a spot where it will get full sun from morning till eve.
      This wall is being replaced with cinder block concrete. I love the Jubaea in this spot, but worried the trunk over time will get too bulbous and risk pushing it out. Maybe I'm wrong.
      Open for ideas and favorites!
      Christopher 

• Will
      By Will
      Hey,
      I planted some Sabal minor and Jubaea chilensis seeds around 2 months ago. They havent germinated yet, thats why I would like to ask if I did something wrong. Is it the way I try to germinate them? Maybe the moisture in the box? Do they need light to germinate?
      So many questions 

• D Palm
      By D Palm
      I live in N Florida in between Lake City, Fl and Jacksonville, Fl. I planted this Royal behind my red shed last summer. It took some leaf damage but had since put out a new spear this spring. I clipped the fronds and moved it to a sunny spot. The root ball has grown about 3x the size and I plan on moving it close to the south side facing part of my house to help protect it more. I mulched  the base for winter and threw a blanket over it a couple of times. I travel for work so most of the time these palms are not protected.  The only spear pull I had were the queens but they are all nicely recovering and everything is very thirsty waiting for summer rains.