IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where is the Rainy Season (Florida)?

chinandega81

15 hours ago, JLM said:

You didnt get a good soaking lastnight? Radar looked like there was quite a lot of storms in the Tampa/St. Pete area overnight.

I finally got some at about midnight yesterday! First rain since the April 21!

• Like 1

oh the rainy season is here now , my yard is rain soaked now and we have had 3 good downpours(standing water in back) in the last 10 days.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

We finally started in earnest also, I think.   Big blobs of rain coming across the state.  Rained hard ever few hours yesterday.  Looks like today and tomorrow will be the same.  Definitely needed some deep soaking this point.  30D4F85E-B9E5-4035-AC28-6FBC88EF146D.thumb.jpeg.036de35d6a1c424dcf2076b675de7218.jpeg

We're dying for a shower here. Praying for rain.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It's been very hit or miss. More miss at my house. Nearby areas have gotten decent rains though. I suppose that is the nature of a late start to the rains. It looks like a Saharan Air Layer of dust is coming this week to dry out the atmosphere just as it's finally getting moistened up. This looks to be a dry June overall, despite some people getting lucky with the rain.

THe few storms I've gotten have been fickle and fall apart as soon as the rain starts. Very little lightning and thunder compared to normal. One storm pops nearby and the whole county becomes stable and no more chance of storms to reform later in the day. Not sure why this pattern has been like this this year, but I hope it changes.

• Upvote 1

.16 inch yesterday and .46 today. First measurable rain in over a week.

Big Deal.

Friends 3 miles south of us received 7.7 inches this afternoon. Watched it on radar.

Fickle weather.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Hombre de Palmas said:

.16 inch yesterday and .46 today. First measurable rain in over a week.

Big Deal.

Friends 3 miles south of us received 7.7 inches this afternoon. Watched it on radar.

Fickle weather.

It’s crazy how that happens around here.  A blob of red on the radar can pummel a place a just couple miles away, while you look at overcast skies and dry ground.  We got about 4 inches today, while further south in the city got only about an inch.  Swamped all the potted stuff….  Need to get things in the ground.  

Still haven't gotten a lot either at my house in Altamonte Springs or at Leu Gardens. Maybe .50" at my house and .75" at LG in the past week. Enough to water things and wet the dry sand but sure far from normal June deluges. And it has hardy stormed, little lightning or thunder. I hike a lot in the Wekiva/Seminole State Forest areas and the normally flooded flatwoods habitats and marshes are mostly dried out. Soil is moist but no standing water. Some of these areas should have 1-2ft of water so its kind of cool to be able to walk there and see some wetlands wildflowers up close.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

In Merritt Island we have had a wet spring and early summer. There were a couple of lulls in between though. We are up to 23” since Jan 1 and since last Friday we've had 4+ inches,  0.84 in the last 24 hours. 

Poured quite a few times here the past couple days. It'll be good for folks I've sold plants to recently who don't water new plantings as much as they should be (typical homeowners, not palmy people).  While the plants are happy it's really slowing down my house project and I need to get a new roof on once I get the structural part done because hurricane season is fast approaching!

20210609_111851(1).jpg?width=1920&height

1.63” so far this month just north of DTSP. Highly variable rainfall amounts throughout Pinellas County. 

Bartow got a deluge, but just sprinkles in my neck of the woods.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Well, yesterday we had waves of brief downpours. It was a help, but only 2 inches at most. The forecast now calls for high pressure and Saharan Dust....so I think we are swinging back to dry conditions here on the southeast FL coast. It looks like the blob of tropical weather soon to be a Tropical Depression will take its moisture to the north Gulf Coast once again. Lately that area has had all the hurricane and tropical weather funneled right up their ally. I'm sure they could use a break and the rest of us could use the rain at least.

2.1" unexpected last night. Halleluejah! We were figuring the Sahara dust would make the drought situation worse and it may but that bit of rain slipped through.

Meg

Florida

Finally got decent rains this week. Almost 4" in Belle Isle. And it came over 4 days so lots of soaking into the ground. Yard is looking lush!

IMG_20210612_235639_425.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

We've been getting rain later in the evening lately.  That certainly helps since it has the whole overnight to soak in before the sun dries things out.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

9 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

We've been getting rain later in the evening lately.  That certainly helps since it has the whole overnight to soak in before the sun dries things out.

Lucky you. We are in one of these annoying weather patterns in South Florida where they forecast rain (50-70 percent chance) daily and it doesn't materialize or is highly localized in certain typically favored areas. We have seen some rain, but nothing like you would expect for the season or based on forecast. Even the day before they have a 70% of rain and it gets lowered to 40% the day of...and then it just doesn't pan out. We have also had a lot of gust fronts come out of nearby storms that are decaying and they stabalize large areas, preventing more storms, whereas this usually causes other storms to crop up. It certainly is a frustrating start to the rainy season, I am still watering and hoping for some more steady and consistent rain.

We finally got rain the last couple days in Altamonte Springs. And yesterday evening was a monster deluge, over 5 inches in about an hour. We had 2ft of water on the side yard as the drainage swale behind us overflowed. Shed had over 2ft of water in it. Everything drained off an hour or so after the storm. So we go from less than 2 inches in May and first half of June to over 5 inches in an hour.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Rain falls all around us but we get nothing - the central Cape Dome of Drought is firmly in place and repels all rain clouds. Never seen anything like it. Rainy season is over a month delayed here. I'm afraid to pot up palm seedlings because of this rain deficit. Even when rain is on the radar it falls everywhere but here.

Meg

Florida

41 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Rain falls all around us but we get nothing - the central Cape Dome of Drought is firmly in place and repels all rain clouds. Never seen anything like it. Rainy season is over a month delayed here. I'm afraid to pot up palm seedlings because of this rain deficit. Even when rain is on the radar it falls everywhere but here.

That’s some bad luck.  It’s been raining pretty much every day here now.  Weather forecasts become totally inaccurate this time of year the way the rain just pops up.  

In the past two days we picked up 2.5" of rain at my location.  Rain chances over the next week are above normal so maybe we will be able to catch and end the month with a normal rainfall total.

Summertime thunderstorm development in Florida is almost entirely dependent on 1) wind flow and 2) outflow boundaries from existing storms.  NWS Tampa has a great page dedicated to showing each of the wind ‘regimes’ - if you’re a data nerd like me you’ll love this website.

https://www.weather.gov/tbw/Thunderstorm_Climatology

84057059-7100-4F87-836E-6D5542B938C3.jpeg

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JJPalmer said:

I also highly recommend checking out the graphics available on this page: https://www.weather.gov/tbw/ThunderstormClimatology

E6ECABA0-C7C7-470D-A9AA-E19B98078B5D.jpeg

A65F4D99-7A38-4C97-9083-09645EA5C22B.jpeg

That’s a great graphic showing the wet-dry seasons in Florida.  Bone dry for a long time, followed by tons of rain all at once.  

Today started out with cool and stable air from outflow bounderies over the Atlantic. It clouded over as those storms decayed and the sun came up. It thundered for a couple of hours and then finally started to rain lightly-so light that there aren´t even puddles. It seems like Broward County has been a bullseye for rain in an otherwise dry South Florida. I don't buy the NWS forecast of 70% of rain this week...it's stayed cloudy and cool all day and the only rain we have been getting lately is the blow off from decaying storms. Wish I could file a complaint with Mother Nature!

• Upvote 1

Day 6 out of 7 for rain here on Jacksonville.  I don't have a rain gauge but we've easily received a few inches in the last hour.

Screenshot_20210625-114956.png

Thanks to some increased rainfall here, we're approaching a our average rainfall amount for June with a few days to spare.

202106261745_BartowLakelandRain.png

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

After the 5+ inch deluge last Wednesday no measurable rain at my house in Altamonte Springs other than some light sprinkles.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

@Eric in Orlando With the 5"+, do you think you are in the neighborhood of 11-12 inches? 

This is from the report from Weather.com for Orlando (32819)

image.png.e35673bb310523f59e4ad768aa907e04.png

Lakeland, FL

14 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@Eric in Orlando With the 5"+, do you think you are in the neighborhood of 11-12 inches? 

This is from the report from Weather.com for Orlando (32819)

image.png.e35673bb310523f59e4ad768aa907e04.png

I'm in 32714. We haven't gotten any where near 11.90 for the month, lucky if it is 6", maybe 7" since May.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

11 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

I'm in 32714. We haven't gotten any where near 11.90 for the month, lucky if it is 6", maybe 7" since May.

Guess this is a microcosm of what we have all been experiencing - very spotty rainfall

202106292000_OrlandoRainfall.png

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

Man, it’s been raining this way.  Multiple times per day for a while now.  Sometimes heavy, sometimes light.   Lawn will start rotting soon without a shot of anti fungals.  I can smell it in the air the last couple of days.  

We had 24" rainfall in june this year.  11" on june 28th was a real gusher but we also had 4.1" 4.7" days in the past 10 days as well.  All is wet, glad the soil drains well.   this is my closest weather station:

https://rainfall.willyweather.com/fl/manatee-county/ellenton.html

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

We got 3.5" Mon. and 2" yesterday. We're still below normal for June but better off than we were a couple weeks ago. I had "drought tolerant" palms starting to brown out. Crazy how one part of FL gets 24" and another gets almost nil.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida