IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queen palms in Dallas after the big freeze, need advice

Npeterh

2 hours ago, Npeterh said:

So what kinds do you have?

curious since you are north of me

1 x Mexican Sabal

3 x Trachycarpus Fortunei

1 x Sabal Minor

11 hours ago, Npeterh said:

Ok all of them are very cold hardy. I have the first two and they made it through no problem.

Mine palms barely survived. I am north of Dallas and my backyard is exposed to northwest.  

Sabal Minor may be the cold hardest palm of all! It didn't lose a single frond! But, it is a small palm. 

Edited by smatofu

So I just checked and my Big Queen still looks quite good. Lots of green on the trunk and the small fond that came out although less than a feet is rock slid. No coming out nor do I smell any rot. But when I can I expect a "normal" leaf to come out? Is there still a risk that it might not make it? I really hope not. I finally found some Mule palms in Dallas but they wanted $1000 for what was a 6 footer including the fonds so in reality it had less than 2 feet of trunk! No way I will experiment with a $1000 palm...
Here is a recent picture, 4 weeks after I cut it and it started growing. Does it have a good chance?

IMG_5015.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/25/2021 at 10:45 AM, Npeterh said:

So I just checked and my Big Queen still looks quite good. Lots of green on the trunk and the small fond that came out although less than a feet is rock slid. No coming out nor do I smell any rot. But when I can I expect a "normal" leaf to come out? Is there still a risk that it might not make it? I really hope not. I finally found some Mule palms in Dallas but they wanted $1000 for what was a 6 footer including the fonds so in reality it had less than 2 feet of trunk! No way I will experiment with a $1000 palm...
Here is a recent picture, 4 weeks after I cut it and it started growing. Does it have a good chance?

IMG_5015.JPG

By the looks of it a new, mostly normal frond, should emerge soon.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa