IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone else grow Anthuriums from seed?

metalfan

Its just about my favorite thing to do for the last few years. I am a certified pollen slinger. Currently have crops of all sorts of stuff growing

IMG_9195.JPG

IMG_8984.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Congrats!  I have a pretty big colocasia/alocasia collection I wanted to try to start playing with but I can't find any good instructional info on how to pollinate.  I understand the basics with the male/female parts of the flower but I could never find any solid info on how to collect/store/apply the pollen.  Any tips?

@metalfan I have never of anyone growing anthuriums from seed!  That is impressive!  I was looking at your propagation nursery in the pics.  Can you give panoramic distant pic of your fancy setup?  I am curious to see your entire operation!

Keys, I have never had any luck pollinating anything but anthuriums. I have tried alocasias (all failed) and aglaonemas (also failed). Anthuriums are a lot more straight forward. Pollen shed in ALocasia and I am assuming Colocasia and Philodendron is a lot trickier than Anthuriums.

Jimmy, my 'operation' as you term it is definitely not professional in the least. I have a very large greenhouse, and I have a lot of wall space. I germinate seeds in moss in clear plastic egg cartons, and as they grow, transplant them to small 2 oz solo cups like the ones above, then later step them up as they need to be stepped up, moving them into a soil mix. I sell anthurium berries sometimes, it helps pay for supplies, but the fun part is growing them to see what you get. Some of the plants I pollinate myself by hand, some self pollinate, and some get bench crossed by insects and tree frogs.

IMG_5334.jpg

IMG_4848.jpg

IMG_9183.JPG

• Like 1

@metalfan thanks for the “tour” through process. You must get a lot of anthurium plants as a result of your pollinating and breeding.  Keep up the efforts and show off your anthuriums!

Its a lot of fun. This is an Anthurium clarinervium x faustomirande (first photo), its a very old cross made by Silver Krome nursery. I have had it since about 2005. Its a self pollinator. It is known to produce an extreme variety of morphological forms in its leaves due to the genetic disparity of the two parents. These are all seedlings from the same crop of seeds. Deep green, thick leaf, flat sinus...heart shape, light green, prominent veining...long and pointy

IMG_9184.jpg

IMG_9193.JPG

IMG_9183.JPG

IMG_9185.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A. clarinervium gets pollinated without my intervention inside my greenhouse.

Here are images of an undiscribed species from high elevation cloud forest near Loja, Ecuador.  I have grown about 40 small plants by 'selfing' my original plant.  Lately I have thought to do the pollination again.  I have distributed these offspring plants to many persons in California.   This plant is outdoors all year for the last 25 years here in SF. 

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG

• Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

Beautiful! I have tried to get my clarinerviums to self for years, never happened, but this clarinervium x faustomirandae selfs almost every spadix. Those are some cool berries!!!!

On 5/24/2021 at 10:18 AM, Darold Petty said:

Here are images of an undiscribed species from high elevation cloud forest near Loja, Ecuador.  I have grown about 40 small plants by 'selfing' my original plant.  Lately I have thought to do the pollination again.  I have distributed these offspring plants to many persons in California.   This plant is outdoors all year for the last 25 years here in SF. 

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG

Daryl almost as soon as I said I have never had an A. clarinervium self pollinate, I went out today and it looks like one of mine has done just that! I was surprised to say the least

IMG_9317.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

One of my seedlings from Anthurium forgetii...look at this great veining already!

IMG_9312.jpg

• Like 1

I was able to acquire some anthurium scherzerianum seeds. Been trying to acquire this plant for a long time so I thought I would try growing it from seed. All seeds have sprouted in two different medias, rock wool and sphagnum moss. Have had lot's of success propagating all kinds of different plant from cuttings but not sure how to proceed with these. Any tips from the experienced growers on how to proceed would be great.

Thanks

Mike

Anthurium.jpg

• Like 1

MLW

My sole experience with my cloud forest Anthurium was that the seedings were very slow from germination to plantable size, perhaps a year from what you show.  I used a clear plastic clamshell food package to offer some protection from drifting fungus spores.   Good luck !

• Like 1

Thank's for the advise Darold. They were quick to germinate, only 10 days, but looks like I'm in for the long haul to grow them. Wouldn't be as fun if it was not a challenge :)

• Like 1

MLW

• 2 weeks later...

You can leave those seedlings in the compot until they are much larger, then tease them apart very carefully and pot up individually. I keep all of my seedlings in moss until they are pretty big, 2-3 leaves the size of at least a dime. Depending on the species I pot in 2" cups in either more moss, or an aroid substrate. I try and avoid having to do that by germinating the seeds in individual cells. I use plastic egg cartons with holes punched in each cell.

IMG_5783.jpg

IMG_9289.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/29/2021 at 2:54 PM, mwardlow said:

I was able to acquire some anthurium scherzerianum seeds. Been trying to acquire this plant for a long time so I thought I would try growing it from seed. All seeds have sprouted in two different medias, rock wool and sphagnum moss. Have had lot's of success propagating all kinds of different plant from cuttings but not sure how to proceed with these. Any tips from the experienced growers on how to proceed would be great.

Thanks

Mike

Anthurium.jpg

These are some of my 'nurseries'. New seedling sprouts in egg cartons, older plants in larger cups I just do this mainly for fun, not for profit. I do have a nursery license, so I can legally sell and ship, but I end up trading and gifting a lot of things. The fun is in the growing. Last photo is one of my aroid corners in my greenhouse

IMG_9552.jpg

IMG_9548.jpg

IMG_9553.JPG

IMG_9555.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Wow, you have a great collection. Looks like you have had great success in sprouting from seed.  When do you start with fertilizer for your seedling and what do you use for fertilizer for your seedlings?

Thanks for the advise.

MLW

28 minutes ago, mwardlow said:

Wow, you have a great collection. Looks like you have had great success in sprouting from seed.  When do you start with fertilizer for your seedling and what do you use for fertilizer for your seedlings?

Thanks for the advise.

Thanks! I have been collecting plants for years. I start fertilizing very lightly actually as soon as the first leaf appears. I use Dyna Gro Foliage Pro, and on the seedlings, until they are really up and established, just mist the leaves weekly with half strength. There are a lot of fertilizers that you could use, I use this one because its complete, has all the micros and trace

Been doing this for a very long time . Great to be able to cash in  .

The plants grown from dressleri seed fetch a good price.

Been doing some designer babies that could have the collectors going crazy. 

Our old friend Stone Jaguar reigns supreme .

dress-seed.JPG

08.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

5 hours ago, aussiearoids said:

Been doing this for a very long time . Great to be able to cash in  .

The plants grown from dressleri seed fetch a good price.

Been doing some designer babies that could have the collectors going crazy. 

Our old friend Stone Jaguar reigns supreme .

dress-seed.JPG

08.jpg

I think I learned almost everything I know about Anthuriums from reading Stone Jaguar's posts way back in the wayback LOL. I have the Mad Scientist approach. I have not been keeping careful records of my crosses because they have been just for fun. But from now on, I am labeling them as I pollinate.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 7:17 AM, metalfan said:

Thanks! I have been collecting plants for years. I start fertilizing very lightly actually as soon as the first leaf appears. I use Dyna Gro Foliage Pro, and on the seedlings, until they are really up and established, just mist the leaves weekly with half strength. There are a lot of fertilizers that you could use, I use this one because its complete, has all the micros and trace

Don't want to burn up my tiny seedlings. I will give the Dyna Gro a try.

Thanks

MLW

• 8 months later...
On 5/24/2021 at 7:18 AM, Darold Petty said:

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0642.JPG

Hi Darold- replying to an old thread, but I’m case you see it—- I’m also in SF and wondering if you ever sell seedlings (or seeds) from this gorgeous plant.  Thanks!  Sherry

• Like 1

Hi Sherry G,  Welcome to Palmtalk !  :)

I don't have any more offspring plants available, and I have not yet attempted a second selfing.  If you are vaccinated,then you are most welcome to visit.  PM me for details.

• Like 1

Interesting thread, I just happened to see it. First off, I really like the color and variety of the commercially grown anthurium available here in Hawaii, they are a nice addition to the garden. Awhile back I noticed the swollen bumps on the spadix and realized they were seeds. I picked a few, popped off the cover and just swiped them on the clumps of moss growing in the shady areas. The seed pulp is like glue and they easily stick to the medium. They grow like crazy on their own and some come true and some don’t depending on hybridization or grafting. The result are some interesting looking seedlings. 

Here are a few photos.

Tim

53F92CC9-C3A5-4D35-9DA1-61DF605FAEF4.jpeg

B01390FA-D4FF-4FE4-9A4F-3C83411A32B7.jpeg

114B9F51-EDA9-4815-BCA8-143133932E76.jpeg

8CB94763-6FFD-42D1-A382-998F62EFBF3C.jpeg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii