IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pindo Problem

Drumslayer

Hello all I need advise on what’s affecting this Pindo palm. In the last 3 months the fronds start hanging straight down and turn brown rapidly. The new growth is still emerging but turns off color and start drooping also. I have drenched the crown with copper fungicide and fertilize with Harrells 13-3-13 and pruned dead fronds only after they completely turn brown.  We are in coastal NC and did not have any cold issues this year and my Sabals and other Pindo palms nearby are thriving.

Any advice appreciated Thanks, Mike

73483809-C341-4FD1-A7E2-54B6F9DB7FDD.jpeg

DAAA664F-A07C-46AD-AB37-A91FDB179E2D.jpeg

• Upvote 1

If you can check the growing point where the new leaves emerge. Look for weevils and their grubs. I’m thinking palm weevils.

An insecticide wouldn't hurt, something surface like Malathion or systemic like Imadicloprid.  Also look for Ganoderma conks on the lower trunk, generally near the ground.  A big 8' trunk Butia near me suddenly died, and it had 5 or 6 big conks on the N side of the trunk.

With the collapsed crown lit looks similar to all the CIDP around here, that have been killed by the red palm weevil. I thought you don't have these weevils in the US.

Have you noticed anything like this in your neighbourhood / region ?

Check for any feeding traces on the petioles and the center and dead/alive insects

Another possibility could a fungal infection.

Whatever it is, quick action is required. you don't want to loose such a tall palm tree. If weevils are the cause it's in the last stage, where the palm maybe can still be saved by applying an insecticide on/into the center. Imidacloprid /  Lamda-Cyhalothrin / Emamectin are good choices.

On 5/22/2021 at 8:26 PM, Drumslayer said:

Hello all I need advise on what’s affecting this Pindo palm. In the last 3 months the fronds start hanging straight down and turn brown rapidly. The new growth is still emerging but turns off color and start drooping also. I have drenched the crown with copper fungicide and fertilize with Harrells 13-3-13 and pruned dead fronds only after they completely turn brown.  We are in coastal NC and did not have any cold issues this year and my Sabals and other Pindo palms nearby are thriving.

Any advice appreciated Thanks, Mike

73483809-C341-4FD1-A7E2-54B6F9DB7FDD.jpeg

DAAA664F-A07C-46AD-AB37-A91FDB179E2D.jpeg

Are there other Pindos in the 5-10 miles radius with this issue? All of ours in our neighborhood died the same way over a few years.

the meristem is several inches or a foot down. My Advise would be to trunk cut it Back to the meristem so It can be properly treated and examined.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Thanks for all the great advice and help. So I inspected the crown closely and did not see any weevils or grubs or any other insects. The crown tissue is not soft or mushy and don’t see any fungus or borer holes on trunk. 
Some of the fronds are snapping at base in crown as shown in this picture. I applied systemic insecticide and drenched crown with hydrogen peroxide and will drench roots with Fosetyl-Al next weekend fo phytopthora

There are many Pindo and Sabal palms nearby and they are all thriving just as this one was up to now. Really nice specimen and hate to lose it.

Hope it turns the corner and starts getting better. Thanks for all the help. Mike

DDE4F629-B2FF-42D5-985C-BC9E8C3D764F.jpeg

On the first picture the ground around the palm looks little bit suspicious to me.

Looks like there was grass and it has been treated with Round Up or some other weed killer. Or is this some kind of mulch ?

Edited by aegean

Aegean that is a mulch of pinestraw that we use in the Southeast US. I had pulled it back at one spot on the base of palm to inspect for any  rot and soil moisture.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 5/24/2021 at 8:52 AM, Drumslayer said:

Thanks for all the great advice and help. So I inspected the crown closely and did not see any weevils or grubs or any other insects. The crown tissue is not soft or mushy and don’t see any fungus or borer holes on trunk. 
Some of the fronds are snapping at base in crown as shown in this picture. I applied systemic insecticide and drenched crown with hydrogen peroxide and will drench roots with Fosetyl-Al next weekend fo phytopthora

There are many Pindo and Sabal palms nearby and they are all thriving just as this one was up to now. Really nice specimen and hate to lose it.

Hope it turns the corner and starts getting better. Thanks for all the help. Mike

DDE4F629-B2FF-42D5-985C-BC9E8C3D764F.jpeg

Any update? I assume dead.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)