IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A Brugmansia experiment...

SailorBold

I added 3 plants to this southern exposure... a Salmon Perfektion.. Triple A and Blessed..  

Maybe??

20210522_085001.jpg

Edited by SailorBold

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

I don't know about your climate, but my parents and grandparents have had orange marmalade growing in their yards for the last 20 years. They've seen single digits and still come back. They are in 7B. I am in 8a and have some growing in full sun planted in native red clay and compost and manually water every few days. They do fine. 

Id guess your challenge would be making sure they stay hydrated. 

They seem to do best with lots of morning sun, and late evening sun, but mid-day shade here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/23/2021 at 7:52 PM, Dartolution said:

I don't know about your climate, but my parents and grandparents have had orange marmalade growing in their yards for the last 20 years. They've seen single digits and still come back. They are in 7B. I am in 8a and have some growing in full sun planted in native red clay and compost and manually water every few days. They do fine. 

Id guess your challenge would be making sure they stay hydrated. 

They seem to do best with lots of morning sun, and late evening sun, but mid-day shade here. 

Thanks for your reply...  I was thinking it may get too hot in that location... The sun is getting so strong right now Im afraid its going to fry it..  it gets some afternoon shade though.. so im optimistic.  I changed my watering schedule to twice a day now.. at 7am and 7pm..  It is sprouting pretty fast with that. 

Do you use and systemic insecticides on yours??  What kind of growth do you see and when do you get your first blooms??

On 5/26/2021 at 7:55 AM, RiSpain said:

Nice idea

Thanks I saw some for sale that had 3 colors.. I thought they were grafted but somebody said they are just 3 plants planted close together..  shrugs..  we will see.  I will post updates throughout the summer..   Im planning on protecting the main trunks in winter.. so hopefully they will come back next year more established.  Fingers crossed! 

7 hours ago, SailorBold said:

Thanks for your reply...  I was thinking it may get too hot in that location... The sun is getting so strong right now Im afraid its going to fry it..  it gets some afternoon shade though.. so im optimistic.  I changed my watering schedule to twice a day now.. at 7am and 7pm..  It is sprouting pretty fast with that. 

Do you use and systemic insecticides on yours??  What kind of growth do you see and when do you get your first blooms??

@SailorBold I have tried not to use systemics as they harm beneficial insects, however there have been years that they have been chewed up so bad I have applied them. 

Typically I just spray them with neem oil, and spinosad altering which one I use on a 2 week schedule throughout the growing season. This takes care of 90% of any issue if not all. 

They typically grow up to 15 feet in a single growing season and bloom mid to late summer through frost here. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Update..finally got some flowers.  I did have a few problems with hummingbird moths and swallowtail butterflies.. oh and then the spidermite infestation..  I will need to spray these regularly.   Hopefully they will get bigger next year! The only one blooming is 'Blessed' atm..

20211008_073538.jpg

• Like 3