Sign in to follow this  
SailorBold

Agave Bluebell Giant

SailorBold

Is anyone growing this one?? Really cool striations..

20210522_085249.jpg

• Like 1

Merlyn

I have one, purchased from PDN in August 2018.  Here it is in December 2019, shortly before I transplanted it.

94575836_AgaveBluebellGiants122619cropped.thumb.JPG.f204b722810e9c1a1c0da87f9ebcf1e5.JPG

It got edema a few weeks later and looked pretty bad for about a year after the transplant, but kept on growing.  Here it is today, all the dead leaves are the ones that got edema.  There is a  "Jaws" in the background, just above it.  And I've cultivated a wide variety of local and hardy perennials in my agave bed (a.k.a. weeds.):

888956053_P1080382BluebellGiants.thumb.JPG.2c548124bfe33f54a231530572d6fb45.JPG

• Like 2

Meangreen94z

Mine survived outside through 4*F last February. Just minor burn, and stress marks from the weight of the ice.

92EAA632-A3F6-42B0-8843-8F3441020F06.jpeg

• Like 3

Merlyn
On 5/22/2021 at 11:07 AM, SailorBold said:

Is anyone growing this one?? Really cool striations..

FYI - Mine is solid green with just a hint of striations/banding on the leaves.  This is likely because I get 60+ inches of rain each year, mostly in afternoon torrential thunderstorms.  This washes off the powdery blue coating on most of my agaves.  But new leaves here are emerging mostly emerald green, so it could be a characteristic of the hybrid.  Or it could be that it's just not hot and sunny enough here to develop a heavy coat of blue.

• Like 1

SailorBold
On 5/24/2021 at 8:50 AM, Merlyn said:

FYI - Mine is solid green with just a hint of striations/banding on the leaves.  This is likely because I get 60+ inches of rain each year, mostly in afternoon torrential thunderstorms.  This washes off the powdery blue coating on most of my agaves.  But new leaves here are emerging mostly emerald green, so it could be a characteristic of the hybrid.  Or it could be that it's just not hot and sunny enough here to develop a heavy coat of blue.

Thats incredible...  I wish i lived in a climate I didnt have to water anything!    We had a "downpour" about 2 weeks ago...  I thought to myself...  "its pouring outside"  nice !   Checked my weather station and it was 0.33" of precip.  its virtually nothing compared to what you must get even on monthly totals.  The green looks great..  I suspect its going to get enormous with that kind of rain.   

• Like 1

SailorBold

Update.. 

20220117_093004.jpg

20220117_092936.jpg

• Like 2

realarch

Jimmy, my mind went to in-ground lighting with the colored glass ground cover. A bit of drama you know.

Tim

• Like 1

SailorBold
4 hours ago, realarch said:

Jimmy, my mind went to in-ground lighting with the colored glass ground cover. A bit of drama you know.

Tim

How are you doin Tim...That would be bad-ass... cool idea...  this is recycled from waste management.. free..all you have to do is shovel and haul. It looks cool in the sunshine but that idea would be totally awesome at night...  I bet one could hide led fairy lights easily..or even change it up with acrylic crystals.. for some superman bling.. hmm...