IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Agave Bluebell Giant

SailorBold

I have one, purchased from PDN in August 2018.  Here it is in December 2019, shortly before I transplanted it.

94575836_AgaveBluebellGiants122619cropped.thumb.JPG.f204b722810e9c1a1c0da87f9ebcf1e5.JPG

It got edema a few weeks later and looked pretty bad for about a year after the transplant, but kept on growing.  Here it is today, all the dead leaves are the ones that got edema.  There is a  "Jaws" in the background, just above it.  And I've cultivated a wide variety of local and hardy perennials in my agave bed (a.k.a. weeds.):

888956053_P1080382BluebellGiants.thumb.JPG.2c548124bfe33f54a231530572d6fb45.JPG

• Like 2

Mine survived outside through 4*F last February. Just minor burn, and stress marks from the weight of the ice.

92EAA632-A3F6-42B0-8843-8F3441020F06.jpeg

• Like 5

On 5/22/2021 at 11:07 AM, SailorBold said:

Is anyone growing this one?? Really cool striations..

FYI - Mine is solid green with just a hint of striations/banding on the leaves.  This is likely because I get 60+ inches of rain each year, mostly in afternoon torrential thunderstorms.  This washes off the powdery blue coating on most of my agaves.  But new leaves here are emerging mostly emerald green, so it could be a characteristic of the hybrid.  Or it could be that it's just not hot and sunny enough here to develop a heavy coat of blue.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 8:50 AM, Merlyn said:

FYI - Mine is solid green with just a hint of striations/banding on the leaves.  This is likely because I get 60+ inches of rain each year, mostly in afternoon torrential thunderstorms.  This washes off the powdery blue coating on most of my agaves.  But new leaves here are emerging mostly emerald green, so it could be a characteristic of the hybrid.  Or it could be that it's just not hot and sunny enough here to develop a heavy coat of blue.

Thats incredible...  I wish i lived in a climate I didnt have to water anything!    We had a "downpour" about 2 weeks ago...  I thought to myself...  "its pouring outside"  nice !   Checked my weather station and it was 0.33" of precip.  its virtually nothing compared to what you must get even on monthly totals.  The green looks great..  I suspect its going to get enormous with that kind of rain.   

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

• 7 months later...

Jimmy, my mind went to in-ground lighting with the colored glass ground cover. A bit of drama you know.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

4 hours ago, realarch said:

Jimmy, my mind went to in-ground lighting with the colored glass ground cover. A bit of drama you know.

Tim

How are you doin Tim...That would be bad-ass... cool idea...  this is recycled from waste management.. free..all you have to do is shovel and haul. It looks cool in the sunshine but that idea would be totally awesome at night...  I bet one could hide led fairy lights easily..or even change it up with acrylic crystals.. for some superman bling.. hmm...

• 7 months later...

Update.. there are a couple pups too. I thought this was a solitary Agave but I guess not! 

I find it hard to believe this agave is supposed to get 7-8 feet tall..

20220903_173950.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Update.. there are a couple pups too. I thought this was a solitary Agave but I guess not! 

I find it hard to believe this agave is supposed to get 7-8 feet tall..

Oh, believe it!  Mine is only about 3 feet tall and close to 6 feet diameter.  It is pupping quite a bit, i need to remove a few.  The parents Protoamericana and Psuedoferox are both puppers, so there is no chance this one stays solitary.

2 hours ago, Merlyn said:

Here's my Bluebell Giants this morning, that's a meter stick for scale.  So roughly 3' tall and just under 5' diameter:

351265713_P1090897BluebellGiants.thumb.JPG.f8f8ad04614753a8f70437e18b2d60ce.JPG

Your garden is really filling in nicely. I’ll try to take pictures of mine later today 

These are much greener than I'd thought they'd be!  If it does get 7 feet tall..  wait.. is there a green agave that gets that large?

Edited by SailorBold

2 hours ago, SailorBold said:

These are much greener than I'd thought they'd be!  If it does get 7 feet tall..  wait.. is there a green agave that gets that large?

They are probably greener for me than they will be for you.  Ones with banding or other powdery bloom tend to wash off here with the daily afternoon thunderstorms.  As far as size goes, sometimes hybrids are bigger than either parent.  But in this case both parents are gigantonormous, with parentage of Psuedoferox (Gentryi/Asperrima/Americana likely hybrid) and Protoamericana (can be very tall) I kind of expected a more silver version.  But Bellville is a pretty deep green hybrid and probably has a lot of impact.  At some point I'd like to get a Bellville, but it's currently not for sale.