Sign in to follow this  
Yunder Wækraus

Hidden wild royal palm(s) in FL

Yunder Wækraus

At minute 13:43 there appears to be the fallen fronds of a royal palm. I saw nothing like that throughout the gentleman’s walk through the swamp until that point. Does anyone have any idea where this might be?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Valhallalla

This is Fakahatchee Strand Preserve State Park (aka the Fak) in southwest Florida. Tim is mostly on or near Jane's Memorial Scenic Drive (Jane's). I didn't watch the entire video but I could see a few Royal palms in the distance around 13:35. You can also see at least two Royals starting around 1:20. At that point in the video he is standing roughly here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.0076474,-81.4112088,3a,75y,0.3h,82.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_rBmvUZPjilWq49riVZAFg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The last time the Google street view cam visited was in 2011. They have since built the gate that you see in the video closing off the northern part of Jane's to car traffic. It is still open to hiking and cycling. Continuing down the rest of Jane's eventually takes you to Picayune Strand Preserve where we happen to be going today.

The area in and around the Fak is a fantastic place with a large population of native Royal palms. They are awesome. I love seeing and being around any palms growing wild in their native habitat. I posted this photo from that general area in another thread:

tLznELk.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Kevin S

I seen Royal Palms after a minute and a half. You can tell they took a beating from the hurricane.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Michael Dourney
      By Michael Dourney
      Hi everyone,
      Recent reader, new time caller. I live in Tampa, FL and have a Canary Island Date Palm that was recently diagnosed with palmetto weevils. Our local arborist was not able to come out quickly, but successfully and accurately diagnosed it with images and a phone call. Despite everyone that I spoke with saying that the tree should be pulled, I read some guidance on this form as well as from a You Tube video suggesting a few courses of action, including:
      Fertilome Tree & Shrub Drench Gallon and
      7.9% Bifenthrin Concentrate for Insect Control, which as the gentleman in the video (who was dealing with severe issues in South America suggested), I applied by drilling into some of the lower fronds with a 1.5" auger bit in order to spray the Bifenthrin into the bud. I also dumped some fire ant powder into the top of the bud, again something else that I read on a forum. I was desperate and was trying whatever I could. I only removed fronds that were drooping and brown with weevil tunnels...trying to give the tree a chance by leaving the greener fronds (mainly on one side as you will see). And I have remained patient.
      That was all back in March, it is now Mid May. I've done some repeat application between then and now of the Bifrenthrin. The fronds that were not infected have held up all this time (see pictures). And most recently, there are some frizzy new frond spikes that have started to emerge (again, see photos). My question to this illustrious group is, (a) is this actual new growth, (b) is there any chance this palm will survive and recover to some sort of decent life, and (c) at this point, what should I do to help the palm?
      Thanks in advance for the replies. This is a whole new ordeal for me...not necessarily the greenest thumb, but I've put in a lot of effort. If this guy survives, I'm popping some serious champagne. Be well!

• Plantking165
      By Plantking165
      So this royal is pretty thin for its size and I want a fat royal in my yard I've seen other royals this hight and size have a much wider base and stem this one is thin and spindley. I would like to change that and make it as fat as possible before it starts trunking in a year or 2 because once that happens you can't change the thickness of the trunk.
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      This topic is started to document the cold damage, or hopefully lack thereof, due to the cold spell. 
      Initially, it looks like most of the damage done locally was due to frost.  As you get outside of town, the damage can get pretty severe on the "high-9b/low-10a" palms that have become more common due to the advent of Lethal Bronzing.  I'll begin with this photo I captured west of the airport on Medulla Rd.  The damage didn't even wait for the warmup to manifest.  For my own garden, I'm going to wait until it warms up to do my report.  There may be palms that look undamaged now that will show damage after the next three days go over 80F.   There may also be palms that appear to have light damage that have more extensive damage than shows at first.
      @GoatLockerGuns was kind enough to compile his results from the Texas 2021 freeze in a spreadsheet that was easy to import into the Cold Hardiness Master Data.  If you'd like to do this as well, I can assist if necessary.

• Arecaceae78743
      By Arecaceae78743
      After all that palms ( most notably the extra tropical ones ) have been though this year, you would think they might get a break, but no the abuse doesn’t stop ! The hotel that homes  two of the tallest royals in Texas had a trimming job done on there palms (even though it was completely unnecessary) the one Royal on the right looks especially bad.  
      I believe more likely than not they will bounce back (again) however it is December so it’s more risky.

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      Link to the event page: https://www.flbgfoundation.org/content.aspx?page_id=4002&club_id=479557&item_id=1487058
      Palm vendors will include Calusa Palms Nursery: http://www.calusapalmsnursery.com/
      A full list of vendors is available at the event page.