IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut Palm in North Carolina Experiment

ZPalms

• 2 weeks later...

I got a coconut from @NOT A TA I do have sand and soil and perlite to put it in, I'm not sure exactly how much of each part I should put into it? :wub:

IMG_5726.jpg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1

Is it safe to put it outside this young? It would sit on a table in a screen in porch or is that too risky? I don't want gnats and stuff messing around cause their already being annoying with my washies

I just put it into a pot but is it suppose to be laying down or does it matter as long as the roots and bottom is covered or does it not matter as long as the roots are covered? I initially had it leaning over but I was unsure if the bottom was suppose to be covered as well

IMG_5728.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I just put it into a pot but is it suppose to be laying down or does it matter as long as the roots and bottom is covered or does it not matter as long as the roots are covered? I initially had it leaning over but I was unsure if the bottom was suppose to be covered as well

IMG_5728.jpg

That pot is way to small.  I would get a 3 gallon pot or bigger.  I would also plant it horizontally flat not on the end like you have it.

Here is mine.  Plant it like that but get a bigger pot.

20210612_183238.jpg

Edited by Reyes Vargas
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Reyes Vargas said:

That pot is way to small.  I would get a 3 gallon pot or bigger.  I would also plant it horizontally flat not on the end like you have it.

I figured as much, It's what I have right now I mean I could put it in the big pot that my sabal was in but I don't know if that's too big 

IMG-5731.jpg

4 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I figured as much, It's what I have right now I mean I could put it in the big pot that my sabal was in but I don't know if that's too big 

IMG-5731.jpg

I think that pot is okay.  It needs at least a 12 inch deep pot for the roots.

• Like 1

I think that pot is okay.  It needs at least a 12 inch deep pot for the roots.

Ok I'll get it repotted immediately thanks! :greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb:

• Like 1

Moved it into this pot earlier today, Looks so much better and aesthetically pleasing and I was able to have enough room to center it which is a plus. :wub: I do need to put a little more soil in but I need to pick up more :greenthumb:B)

IMG_5736.jpg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ZPalms said:

Moved it into this pot earlier today

Looks fine, leave it like that for now and a few months down the road add more soil without raising the coconut.

• Like 1

Just now, NOT A TA said:

Looks fine, leave it like that for now and a few months down the road add more soil without raising the coconut.

I was just gonna add more soil to the top layer so the back of the coconut was even with the rest B) Definitely not moving it

No need to add soil now,  just get it out of direct sunlight to a place you can just leave it alone other than watering. Then be patient, ahahaha.

• Like 1

Just now, NOT A TA said:

No need to add soil now,  just get it out of direct sunlight to a place you can just leave it alone other than watering. Then be patient, ahahaha.

It doesn't need direct sunlight? Is it ok to leave under a LED grow light? because it sits under one next to my tomato's

2 minutes ago, NOT A TA said:

Can you put it outside for the summer? Should be warm enough up there by now.

Oh yeah, I was going to put it outside in the screen in porch tomorrow but I do worry about gnats

Edited by ZPalms

1 hour ago, ZPalms said:

Moved it into this pot earlier today, Looks so much better and aesthetically pleasing and I was able to have enough room to center it which is a plus. :wub: I do need to put a little more soil in but I need to pick up more :greenthumb:B)

IMG_5736.jpg

Looks good.  In no time that thing is going to be huge.  Just put it in a place that gets hot and it will grow like crazy.

• Like 1

Just now, Reyes Vargas said:

Looks good.  In no time that thing is going to be huge.  Just put it in a place that gets hot and it will grow like crazy.

So only hot, Not directly under the sun?

Coconuts like full sun.  I have mine in full Texas sun and looks perfect.  Putting it in full sun is the best way to get it as warm as possible.

9 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Coconuts like full sun.  I have mine in full Texas sun and looks perfect.  Putting it in full sun is the best way to get it as warm as possible.

Oh I'm confused cause he said keep it out of direct sun :wacko:

2 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Oh I'm confused cause he said keep it out of direct sun :wacko:

Yeah I saw what not a ta said and I think it was a typo.  I think what he was saying is "just get it out in direct sunlight".  Coconuts are not afraid of full sun. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah I saw what not a ta said and I think it was a typo.  I think what he was saying is "just get it out in direct sunlight".  Coconuts are not afraid of full sun. 

Oh, Alrighty will do that tomorrow then thanks!!!

• Upvote 1

On 6/12/2021 at 7:39 PM, Reyes Vargas said:

20210612_183238.jpg

Just curious but how old is your coconut and how long did it take to get this growth?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

Just curious but how old is your coconut and how long did it take to get this growth?

I got it in December 2020 so it's 6 months old.  When I got it, it looked exactly like yours.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

I got it in December 2020 so it's 6 months old.  When I got it, it looked exactly like yours.

Awesome thanks, I just wanted an idea how long things would take :greenthumb:

Just a small update, It's outside and it's pushed a tiny bit of growth just over a week 

image0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm unsure if I should bring the coconut into the screen-in porch for protection or will it be ok? because i'm getting the remnants of Tropical Storm Claudette with lots of wind and rain

• Like 1

I decided to bring it on the porch because I don't want heavy rain to drown the coconut and I don't want all that water to displace the soil in the pot

13 hours ago, ZPalms said:

I decided to bring it on the porch because I don't want heavy rain to drown the coconut and I don't want all that water to displace the soil in the pot

Honestly I don't think you can drown a coconut but I'm no coconut expert.  Since your coconut still doesn't have roots it's better to be safe than sorry.

Here is mine in May when we got over 9.5 inches of rain with no problems.  It loved it.20210601_094201.thumb.jpg.5f2472760921d2b1bbd03182f475ee15.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Reyes Vargas said:

Honestly I don't think you can drown a coconut but I'm no coconut expert.  Since your coconut still doesn't have roots it's better to be safe than sorry.

Here is mine in May when we got over 9.5 inches of rain with no problems.  It loved it.20210601_094201.thumb.jpg.5f2472760921d2b1bbd03182f475ee15.jpg

Im more concerned about the rain displacing the soil since my pot has a lot more surface area! I don't want the rain to saturate the pot with so much water at a time it can't drain quick enough or at least that's what I'm assuming since when I water it I drench it with water to make sure it's fully moist.

That banana tree is very cute, I can't wait for my coconut to get to a decent strong size to allow it to sit out in the rain

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 2

I'm sorry I have to post another one, It's honestly mind blowing to me how fast it's growing (June 22, 2021, Tuesday, 6:00PM)IMG_5913.thumb.jpg.b867fbdf4f644e9b16d0b0ca0080efda.jpg

IMG_5914.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/31/2021 at 1:05 PM, HiwaKika said:

Update from Kanoa:

ME:  Just to clarify, what is the lowest temp this thing (baby coco) can tolerate? My memory says 60ºF?

KANOA: Aloha! When in doubt, check the product label that came with your coconut. We say 70 there. 60 was you and I in a conversation and was simply a very worst case scenario. Its not to say it would be normal or happy at 60. Mahalo ...

As it’s been already said, every plant Can respond differently. My coconut seems to be growing pretty well even though our daily lows are around 55F. It’s better to see how the individual responds to the environment, although 60F sounds good to me in general terms. 

• Like 1

i was told 65 degrees and not a degree under or it stops developing and growing when its inside the coconut still. 

I had a beautiful coconut on my patio for a whole year. tried to bring it inside during the winter and it didnt make it because my heater/AC unit broke. so my house got a chilly 50 degrees!!!

Bye bye coconut ;(

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good. It will love the SE US summer and all the sun, heat, rain & humidity it can get.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

2 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Looking good. It will love the SE US summer and all the sun, heat, rain & humidity it can get.

I'm shocked how fast it's been growing, It already separated one of it's leaves since I took that photo :w00t:

Edited by ZPalms
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

My indoor coconut here in Montana is almost three years old and has reached the ceiling. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1