IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hurricane survivor? Question mark

KsLouisiana

Okay palm experts I need y'alls opinions.  So I made a post last year after hurricane laura I found a wild palmetto that was uprooted in the storm.  Loaded it out of the ditch, trimmed its leaves and roots up, put it in the ground. It sat dormant all winter. I kept watering it hoping for some new growth.  I marked a line with the sharpie and saw that it grew about a half inch and then stopped completely for months.  It lost its color and started to look like it was going downhill.  So last week I chopped about a foot of the top of the trunk off and there was rot in the growth area when I inspected it.  I cut down to the "healthy" white looking area, sprayed copper fungicide and now there seems to be a little hope. Just wondering what y'all think is going on. Thanks for the help! Also on a side note, one that we found washed up on the beach is growing unbelievably right now. I will attach pictures. Thanks again! 

Kurt

20210520_163858.jpg

20210520_163853.jpg

20210520_164042.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

The white that is pushing out is a really good sign, should see a frond within the next month of so just try to give the best conditions possible. For the other Sabal, thats awesome! Sabals truly are tough as nails.

• Like 3

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

12 hours ago, JLM said:

The white that is pushing out is a really good sign, should see a frond within the next month of so just try to give the best conditions possible. For the other Sabal, thats awesome! Sabals truly are tough as nails.

JLM thanks! Yeah I'm really excited to get a free sabal or two.  Do you think the copper fungicide and cutting the top off was a good call? I can't wait to see if it pulls through. 

I't's looking good right now. It's rushing to push out a new leaf before it runs out of stored energy. They can speed up their growth significantly when they are trying to survive. You did the right thing to cut down to the meristem. Otherwise, the rot above would have worked its way down and killed it. Good luck with it and kudos for trying to save both of them.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

9 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I't's looking good right now. It's rushing to push out a new leaf before it runs out of stored energy. They can speed up their growth significantly when they are trying to survive. You did the right thing to cut down to the meristem. Otherwise, the rot above would have worked its way down and killed it. Good luck with it and kudos for trying to save both of them.

Thanks so much for the response! Im just trying to use the info I get from you nice people as best as I can! Fingers crossed!

Uh oh. I'm getting excited for all this new growth. He might be pulling through!

20210525_184437.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/25/2021 at 7:51 PM, KsLouisiana said:

Uh oh. I'm getting excited for all this new growth. He might be pulling through!

20210525_184437.jpg

Whoaaaa!!!! DUDE that's awesome! Typically I dose Hydrogen Peroxide pouring it down the heart of the Sabal. ( If you have Spear Pull.) 

What you have done for the Sabal, has actually saved it's life. Whatever you do, Do NOT disturb the heart, as in pulling on it, pulling out a Petiole trying to look down the heart. Sabals are VERY VERY VERY sensitive to the touch of the heart/spear, Just as well as the roots being cut. 

I've attached two photos of my Sabal Minor that I dug out of the woods. Had spear pull, So I dosed Hydrogen Peroxide And rinsed with water a few times a day until I seen growth

FB_IMG_1626075936811.jpg

20210803_141931.jpg

• Like 1

Any update on the sabal? 

20210525_184437.jpg

Any update on this sabal?

• Like 1

20210525_184437.jpg

Any update on this sabal, Very interesting and cool :blush2:

• Like 1

20210525_184437.jpg

So what does it look like now? What is id doing 3 months later?  Any growth? 

• Like 1

You should be home free when it clears that Ultra. I love the Civil War like surgery you did.... took some guts. Thanks for posting... always something to learn.

• Like 1

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Thank y'all for the support.  So its having a little stop right now but still very hopeful. Trying to keep rain out of its growth point. I've treated it with peroxide a few times. I will attach a pic and if y'all have any other advice its greatly appreciated! Should I be concerned that it seems to have stalled out?

20210625_195742.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CoconutGambler352 said:

Whoaaaa!!!! DUDE that's awesome! Typically I dose Hydrogen Peroxide pouring it down the heart of the Sabal. ( If you have Spear Pull.) 

What you have done for the Sabal, has actually saved it's life. Whatever you do, Do NOT disturb the heart, as in pulling on it, pulling out a Petiole trying to look down the heart. Sabals are VERY VERY VERY sensitive to the touch of the heart/spear, Just as well as the roots being cut. 

I've attached two photos of my Sabal Minor that I dug out of the woods. Had spear pull, So I dosed Hydrogen Peroxide And rinsed with water a few times a day until I seen growth

FB_IMG_1626075936811.jpg

20210803_141931.jpg

Thats pretty awesome man.  How long did that growth take between the 2 pictures?  How often can I dose with peroxide? Thats really awesome because I know from experience that sabal minors are hard to transplant 

30 minutes ago, KsLouisiana said:

Thank y'all for the support.  So its having a little stop right now but still very hopeful. Trying to keep rain out of its growth point. I've treated it with peroxide a few times. I will attach a pic and if y'all have any other advice its greatly appreciated! Should I be concerned that it seems to have stalled out?

20210625_195742.jpg

At least its growing!   Hopefully it can push out a spear before winter this year.  Def keep up the peroxide and copper fungicide treatments and keeping rain out of it.   Keep us posted.  

Oh wow looks awesome, Maybe you can put a tent or clear umbrella over it temporary to keep the rain off of it? It's still green so it looks good to me :D:greenthumb: Also I didn't realize I posted twice oops :floor2:

Edited by ZPalms